GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you find the headlights a bit dim? (Non xenon)

teenflon5

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

Recently took delivery of my golf and in a few instances I've found the headlights to be really dim and rubbish? When I first got the car I thought the headlights weren't on at first, but after driving round they generally seem dim. Driving around a badly lit park and country roads I seem to need full beam a lot more than I did in my 2012 polo. Headlights illuminate the road straight in front of me but not a great deal of pavement or road ahead. Do others find this with the standard lights or should I get it checked?

Ronin3

Ready to race!
Have the headlamp alignment checked. I found the same as you and when they were checked they were found to be too low and not shining on the kerbside or illuminating road signs.

After alignment at a local MOT garage (done for free but I offered him money for a pint) they were much, much improved.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
As per post #2, get the alignment checked and also check that you haven't got the beam tilt set to 4.

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
Not sure about ROW cars with RHD, but, the lights on mine are some of the better Halogen lights i've used. This is coming from someone who had 50W Morimoto XB35's in MD2S 3.0 projectors retrofitted into my last vehicle. The only thing I struggle with is the color temperature after having true 4300k BiX lights for several years. The LED fogs help with that on the GTI.

HXP

Ready to race!
Halogen ones on mine seem fine as good as other cars i have driven, alignment suggestions seem sensible and yes make sure the headlight level is not set low for when you carry heavy loads and the rear squats.

I did put nightbreakers in my last car and noticed a bit of an improvement and when the bulbs fail on this car will do the same but so far they standard VW ones seem fine.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
No problems with mine either, are you sure that they aren't on the wrong setting for when you carry something heavy in the back?

Seems to be the thing these days to fit as bright a bulb as possible which would be ok if they were adjusted legally! Perhaps it's an evolutionary thing that people's eyesight has got worse since I started driving in the 70s! ;) :)

ChrisK

Ready to race!
Must admit having the standard lights I find the main beam headlights rubbish with them being way too low in fact driving down a pitch black country lane and turning on the main beam the car only seems to light the road ahead by about 10 foot more than the dipped beams.

Mines due for its first year service in a couple of weeks and I’m going to ask them to check these out.

teenflon5

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, yeah I did check the tilt setting was correct, when I put it to 4 the headlights shone on about 5 meters of road! I have found the main beam is a bit rubbish on country roads too but maybe if its adjusted it will be better too. Even on motorways I want to use the main beam but can't!

I called my salesman and he didn't seem too surprised and said to arrange it with the service people to be checked so maybe he's had a few people say this. Just compared to my 2012 polo they're far worse. I'll get it in to the garage and hopefully that'll fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk