GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dipstick Question

Proxima2

Ready to race!
This has always bugged me.....can your auto be on an incline (fore or aft) and still get an accurate reading on the oil dipstick?
When changing and checking oil, I have always tried to keep the car as level as possible.
But now that my car is lowered a bit, I have had to get on very mellow ramps to get under the car to drop oil.
I picture the point at which the dipstick interfaces with oil in the pan that this would be like a fulcrum point and it would not matter if the car was inclined at all.
Is this the case?
Any thoughts?

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
How does the manual say to check the oil level?

Aphron

CW :)!
This has always bugged me.....can your auto be on an incline (fore or aft) and still get an accurate reading on the oil dipstick?
When changing and checking oil, I have always tried to keep the car as level as possible.
But now that my car is lowered a bit, I have had to get on very mellow ramps to get under the car to drop oil.
I picture the point at which the dipstick interfaces with oil in the pan that this would be like a fulcrum point and it would not matter if the car was inclined at all.
Is this the case?
Any thoughts?
Just fill it with slightly less than it requires. Whenever you’re off ramps and at a level spot or gas station, check and add. It doesn’t have to be perfect to work, sometimes I have a little extra sometimes a little less engine works the same.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Drain the oil, fill it with proper amt. Rough check on ramps, start car look for leaks, drive off ramps. Stop car put away tools double check level. The important bit is to check often

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This is not rocket surgery, just read the owner's manual. Engine at operating temperature on level ground check oil level after a few minutes to let oil drain back to the oil pan. Adjust as needed a few ML under full line is fine.

Proxima2

Ready to race!
I think yo missed the point. Ive been changing oil for 40 years. I guess what im asking is, do engine designers deliberately place dipsticks so that that the dipstick will enter the "oil pool" at a point where it will not matter if the engine is tilted? Think see-saw with the dipstick placed right at the pivot point.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think yo missed the point. Ive been changing oil for 40 years. I guess what im asking is, do engine designers deliberately place dipsticks so that that the dipstick will enter the "oil pool" at a point where it will not matter if the engine is tilted? Think see-saw with the dipstick placed right at the pivot point.
Interesting - never thought of that but I still say "no" b/c the owner's manual will say to check on a level surface.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Science says:

Check oil level in your "normal" spot (cold engine)

Next day jack up car and recheck to see what happens.

My gut says in the real world it won't matter unless you park in a very slanted spot

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I measure in my garage which is pretty much flat ground. When I do oil changes I always fill 0.5L less than required and top off later as I almost always find it overfilled when filled at the exact amount mentioned on the manual. A tad over fill is better than under, but still, if I want a crummy job done I'd take it to those express oil places.