GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Desperate Need For A Smoke Machine In The East Coast, Canada Wildfires Don't Suffice Anymore

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
This thread is ripe for DIY & open source tuning evangelism. It’s the way to go if you want ultimate control.
I've read the thread here but is there a thread or article that gives some more details on how one gets started?

For instance does one have to build a time from scratch? I would love to do a Stage 2 tune but don't know where to start? And can ilbe used to tune the 7spd DSG?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I've read the thread here but is there a thread or article that gives some more details on how one gets started?

For instance does one have to build a time from scratch? I would love to do a Stage 2 tune but don't know where to start? And can ilbe used to tune the 7spd DSG?
Basically you have to get the bin and definition file for your ECU box code and start modifying it. I use a free program called Tuner Pro. Join the Simos Tools Users Facebook group and they’ll get you started. There are guides for the basics that will get you straightened out. Honestly for a mild tune you can literally just increase the torque requests. But for stage 2 you’ll want to move torque requests out of the way and tune with boost and timing, set lambda, move up limiters, etc.

Yea you can tune the 7-spd Dsg but there’s not much info on it yet.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I gotcha. But if it flashes an exact copy with the correct counter, I'm not sure how they'd know.
A VAG tech could probably tell us more, but my guess is what the system is doing and logging is kinda secretive for a reason. I read somewhere it logs the activity, even if the total counter is reset 🤷‍♂️

Would be amazing if APR of all companies found a way for tuners to avoid TD1. Watching…

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
It was 63 degrees out today so I did an oil change on the truck. Friggn Toyota made it impossible to not make a mess. 😒 I'll complain every time I do an oil change haha.

Sounds like you need some fancy oil catching devices.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
On my T2 oil changes are clean.....reg drain plug, oil filter from top. There is a catch bin around filter that will catch the two ounces that spill. Two paper towels worth....

cb1111

Reflashing causes howling noises is what I got out of that post. 🤣

But seriously, if you flash it back to stock, and the flash counter is correct, if that's really the case, how would VW know?
There are multiple flash counters - plus, no company has found a way to roll them back.

IIRC, one company figured out a way to wipe the counter, but that didn't help either because then it still didn't match the number stored back in the fatherland.

The TD-1 (and the tranny equivalent) is a bit overblown, because it doesn't mean "no warranty" - it means parts of the drivetrain warranty is gone. The dealer won't know if the car is flagged - they run a scan and the mothership tells them.

Quite simply, VW knows exactly how many times your car has been "flashed" - if the numbers don't match - and the failure might have been caused by the flash - then the claim will be denied.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
It's a code they flag your car with in VW's service computer system. It means that you're ECU was modified and they can deny claims for drivetrain if they believe the tune caused the failure.

My car is flagged TD1 and they've yet to deny a claim. They've done aux water pump and water pump while car was flagged.

Dealer tried to deny the first claim, I told them my warranty isn't with the dealer, submit the claim with VWoA. Within 5 min work was approved. The person on the phone asked if the water pump was modified or tampered with, dealer said no, VW said approved.
I never understood why a dealership wouldn't want a help you with getting a warranty claim through. They're still getting paid for those.

Are people out there really just going "okay" and paying the insane dealership rates at the same dealership that just didn't want to help you with a warranty claim?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are multiple flash counters - plus, no company has found a way to roll them back.

IIRC, one company figured out a way to wipe the counter, but that didn't help either because then it still didn't match the number stored back in the fatherland.

The TD-1 (and the tranny equivalent) is a bit overblown, because it doesn't mean "no warranty" - it means parts of the drivetrain warranty is gone. The dealer won't know if the car is flagged - they run a scan and the mothership tells them.

Quite simply, VW knows exactly how many times your car has been "flashed" - if the numbers don't match - and the failure might have been caused by the flash - then the claim will be denied.
In my cases, VW was pretty reasonable and warrantied the work. I'd venture to guess they wouldn't have been as magnanimous if I'd melted a piston or had crack walk.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I never understood why a dealership wouldn't want a help you with getting a warranty claim through. They're still getting paid for those.

Are people out there really just going "okay" and paying the insane dealership rates at the same dealership that just didn't want to help you with a warranty claim?
They make significantly more profit off self pay vs warranty work.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI

Still getting paid, but by "the mothership"
If the mothership can make fine print to save money, they will.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
They make significantly more profit off self pay vs warranty work.
Yup, I dunno what it's like for car dealers, but I got a buddy at another boat dealer and they just dumped an entire line because of their warranty pay. They have like a $195 labor rate, but the manufacturers warranty rate is only $85. The hourly pay is usually less and so is the amount of hours they'll pay you back for.