GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Got a Cobb downpipe recently.

Been trying to read up on Open Source to determine if I am up to the challenge of tuning the ECU myself.
It can sound a little overwhelming just reading it all, but once you dive in and start doing it it's actually not too bad and is a lot of fun.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
At least y'all do them during the week so you can fix defects quickly. We do them early Saturday morning.
We do all prod releases Mon - Wed, after 9pm. If we break shit, we've got the rest of the week to fix things. We do not like working weekends and Fridays are usually really chill.

But, next 2 years are going to suck. We're transitioning every system and application we use to UF Healths systems. Means no more chill Fridays. I'll be in zoom hell, back to back to back for years. Not looking forward to it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So I was getting tire mount and balance quotes for various shops in the area for future reference. I was describing a scenario where I am moving tires to a new set of wheels. The guy is like "well normally it's $35 per wheel for mount and balance, but because you're moving tires to a new set of wheels, it's an extra $10 per wheel for the dismount."

"Why the extra charge? Aren't you dismounting old tires normally with a regular mount and balance? In both cases you're taking 4 tires off wheels and putting 4 tires on wheels."

"Yes but you're keeping these tires so it's different."

"Maybe I'm not getting it. Isn't it actually a little less work since you're not storing and disposing the old tires? Is there another part of the process I'm missing?"

"............ I'm not really sure. This is the pricing I have."

🤷‍♂️
I'd guess the $35 is a discounted rate, because it assumes your just bought tires.

The vast majority of people aren't weirdos like us, bringing in our own tires and swapping tires back and forth between wheel sets.

Their pricing and policies are created based on the normal transactions they see 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I'd guess the $35 is a discounted rate, because it assumes your just bought tires.

The vast majority of people aren't weirdos like us, bringing in our own tires and swapping tires back and forth between wheel sets.

There pricing and policies are created based on the normal transactions they see 99% of the time.
That and maybe it's because of having to be more delicate with the tires when trying to remove them. We had one place that dismounted RT-660s to be put on different tires for us, where they tore one of the sidewalls in the process.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't let my team work nights or weekends ever
We're a hospital. If we disrupt operations during the day, and impacts admission and discharge times, it's a cost to the hospital.

People don't know, but hospitals are fined by CMS for exceeding a certain length of stay, and fined for readmissions. Insurance companies often won't pay over a certain length of stay or for readmissions. This puts a lot of pressure to minimize time in the hospital, but if you push patients out that still need care, they end up readmitted, which is a double kick in the dick. So a major part of my job is applications and systems that help us cut time out of a stay due to administrative issues. Making sure consults, critical results, room turn over requests, all get sent, tracked and acted on as quickly as possible can cut half a day out of a stay without compromising the patients care and outcomes.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
We're a hospital. If we disrupt operations during the day, and impacts admission and discharge times, it's a cost to the hospital.

People don't know, but hospitals are fined by CMS for exceeding a certain length of stay, and fined for readmissions. Insurance companies often won't pay over a certain length of stay or for readmissions. This puts a lot of pressure to minimize time in the hospital, but if you push patients out that still need care, they end up readmitted, which is a double kick in the dick. So a major part of my job is applications and systems that help us cut time out of a stay due to administrative issues. Making sure consults, critical results, room turn over requests, all get sent, tracked and acted on as quickly as possible can cut half a day out of a stay without compromising the patients care and outcomes.

"Affecting patient care" is a trigger word for me these days. Printer goes down, and there's another one 10 feet away? "Affecting patient care", P2 ticket, i.e. get the fuck over there and fix it ASAP because lives will be lost.

Nobody's dying because you had to walk an extra couple steps to grab a printout. We have a ton of overlap in equipment so that there's very little that can impact anything of real importance, but the lack of 'grit' in some of these people is insane. Thankfully, most of the time people are pretty reasonable.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
It can sound a little overwhelming just reading it all, but once you dive in and start doing it it's actually not too bad and is a lot of fun.
Where do you read up on it?

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
so i was just dicking around on the audi website and something came up that annoys me regarding the Q4.

There is no SQ4, which that makes sense.

However, even the most basic trim of Q4 is from the factory equipped with an S-Line appearance package and there's no way to remove them.

So the S-Line bumpers and trim are the only ones available for the Q4.

Why even advertise it as an "S-Line" when there's no non S-Line bumpers???

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
so i was just dicking around on the audi website and something came up that annoys me regarding the Q4.

However, even the most basic trim of Q4 is from the factory equipped with an S-Line appearance package and there's no way to remove them.

Did you notice the changes on the facelift A3? It had a S on the steering wheel and the seats. Then the badges also have the red square that the S and RS cars get.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion

To make the base trim sound fancier than it is. Which would hopefully further differentiate the Q4 from people cross-shopping against competing models both within VAG (Tiguan SEL) and outside VAG.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo

a little more digging and it's because you can get a non s-line in europe, of course lmao

1711030822502.png