CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
SmartSelect_20230530_103955_Chrome.jpg

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Now on the flip side, Nvidia just continues to dominate. I'd love for some actual competition, but AMD still just can't compete on the GPU side. At least Nvidia continues to improve though despite no real threats or competition, unlike Intel when they had CPU dominance.

I'm gonna challenge on this one -- Raytracing seems to be the big selling point for Nvidia hardware, but the price point is just absurd lately and their value proposition has been dropping with the 40 series. I haven't looked at the 7000 series AMD stuff, but the 6950 for ~$600 seems to be a good option, at least to not be stuck with 8gb of VRAM [still].

Yeah... The 7900 XTX gets you 93% the performance of the 4090 at 1440p, for 67% of the price. Obviously if you want or need ray tracing this goes out the window, but to me AMD cards make more sense

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
This is what happened to me. I had been on a 5700XT at 1080/144 and then switched to 1440/144 and couldn't live at 60-75 fps. Bought the 6800xt after only having owned the 5700xt for a year. Now that's in a second PC that my GF could use for gaming if she wanted to.

Team Red v Team Green, I built my first PC with the original Ryzen chip because of $/Perf vs Intel, and a NV 1060. Been fully Team Red since because idgaf about ray trace and $/Perf from AMD in the graphics segment has been so much better. At least on the CPU side that looks like it's changed over the last 5 years so I might think about Intel on the next build, but Ryzen is what I know and what I'm comfortable with, plus I think they will keep AM5 chipset/socket for a bit like they did AM4 so 🤷‍♂️
Overclocking on Intel is, I'm told, very different from AMD overclocking. My Intel experience was pretty much set voltage to what's considered 'safe' (in my case that was 1.3v max), then push the multiplier. Then, you can dial back the core voltage to get power/heat under control. I ran 4.6ghz on my i5-4690K at 1.26v core stable for a long time, before selling it to a friend as a media center/couch gaming setup. Meanwhile what I'm told about overclocking on the AMD side (I haven't personally bothered, though I might have to give it a shot), you fuss with bus speed more than the multiplier. My B450 chipset board has an auto OC that seems like it's willing to push about 5% increase, but I'm not sure how much that really does. I just kinda let the infinity fabric thing do what it wants, and I have no complaints.

Also CSB: The day the first Ryzen CPUs came out, March 2nd 2017, my buddy and I were on our way to Microcenter in Boston to buy some 1700X's, and the transmission in my Nissan Altima went out in in the middle of an intersection. Nissan actually replaced the CVT for free even though it was just outside of warranty.
Even Nissan knew the Ryzen CPUs are dope.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yeah... The 7900 XTX gets you 93% the performance of the 4090 at 1440p, for 67% of the price. Obviously if you want or need ray tracing this goes out the window, but to me AMD cards make more sense
I'd love to see a 7700XT or 7800XT, the ~$800 pricetag is just a bit too much for me. I miss the days when $800 would buy you a sweet upper-mid tier gaming rig, but in a post-crypto world that's out the window. I recall Chiacoin being a thing as well that was super concerning, because it used massive amounts of storage space and I was fearful that it would drive prices of storage way up; I have a pretty decent amount of data (various Linux ISOs, backups, etc) spread around multiple machines on our network and I'd like to keep learning data management, so higher costs of data storage are no fun. Currently we have a 32TB capacity RAID5 as well as a couple 8 and 12TB drives operating independently for backing up the contents of the RAID5.

At some point I'm going to build a ground-up storage array, but that's a huge investment that's going to be a while before I can materialize.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Overclocking on Intel is, I'm told, very different from AMD overclocking. My Intel experience was pretty much set voltage to what's considered 'safe' (in my case that was 1.3v max), then push the multiplier. Then, you can dial back the core voltage to get power/heat under control. I ran 4.6ghz on my i5-4690K at 1.26v core stable for a long time, before selling it to a friend as a media center/couch gaming setup. Meanwhile what I'm told about overclocking on the AMD side (I haven't personally bothered, though I might have to give it a shot), you fuss with bus speed more than the multiplier. My B450 chipset board has an auto OC that seems like it's willing to push about 5% increase, but I'm not sure how much that really does. I just kinda let the infinity fabric thing do what it wants, and I have no complaints.

Even Nissan knew the Ryzen CPUs are dope.

I messed around with OC on my Ryzen 2600 for a bit and quite honestly I don't remember noticing a difference. When I switched to the 5600 I didn't bother. From what I remember it was about voltages and multipliers like you said for Intel, and then overclocking the RAM because that was tied in to the cross-chiplet speed.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Such an early 2010's mentality.

Intel can go fuck themselves. They released the same damn 4c/8t processor every year for nearly a decade with marginal performance upgrades on a new socket just because "fuck you we can" since there was no real competition. Sure, they processors above 4c/8t, but at the mainstream consumer level? They let the market stagnate for years. Because for a long ass time, AMD just sucked at CPUs, putting out disappointment after disappointment. It wasn't until AMD's first Ryzen release in 2017, where they put out a consumer level 8c/16t CPU that made Intel finally go "Oh fuck, maybe we actually have to start innovating to keep up". Funny how in 2018, Intel finally started putting out consumer level stuff higher than 4c/8t...

Now on the flip side, Nvidia just continues to dominate. I'd love for some actual competition, but AMD still just can't compete on the GPU side. At least Nvidia continues to improve though despite no real threats or competition, unlike Intel when they had CPU dominance.
I think AMD still has some kinks to work out on the CPU side of things. I watch JayzTwoCents a lot and I know this gen was the first time he built an AMD rig for his personal PC, and he's mentioned having some regrets about it and wishing he would have stuck to intel. I can't remember what his issues were though.

The three AMD computers I built for work wouldn't have ever worked correctly if I didn't know they were sensitive about ram speed. None of those computers would boot up until I got into the bios and adjusted the ram. I couldn't even install windows until I did that. I've never had to do anything special for intel before.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I messed around with OC on my Ryzen 2600 for a bit and quite honestly I don't remember noticing a difference. When I switched to the 5600 I didn't bother. From what I remember it was about voltages and multipliers like you said for Intel, and then overclocking the RAM because that was tied in to the cross-chiplet speed.
Yeah, while it was fun to chase numbers (there's a theme here, eh?) I wound up determining that I was just going to enjoy the performance and make it something I enjoy using.

I think AMD still has some kinks to work out on the CPU side of things. I watch JayzTwoCents a lot and I know this gen was the first time he built an AMD rig for his personal PC, and he's mentioned having some regrets about it and wishing he would have stuck to intel. I can't remember what his issues were though.

The three AMD computers I built for work wouldn't have ever worked correctly if I didn't know they were sensitive about ram speed. None of those computers would boot up until I got into the bios and adjusted the ram. I couldn't even install windows until I did that. I've never had to do anything special for intel before.
I had some issues with these weird micro-crashes that I'd never experienced before, I'm not 10000000% sure what the root cause is but I've largely solved the issue by reducing displays connected to the GPU, it would seem. I know Ryzen stuff is pretty sensitive to RAM, but it seems that there's some more advanced stuff out now than what I'm familiar with -- things like Smart Access Memory come to mind, I know there's more but I can't remember the other items offhand. Ryzen is definitely touchy about RAM though, and reeeeally likes fast memory. I keep getting tempted to OC my RAM (rated for 3200mhz), but I'm lazy about testing and would prefer not to have my PC crash in the midst of a competitive CSGO match, so I've been largely leaving things alone.

e: also, I'm super curious about the Intel GPUs, though I don't really have money for one to try firsthand I'd like to see how they behave/what can be manipulated with them.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
At least Nvidia continues to improve though despite no real threats or competition, unlike Intel when they had CPU dominance.
The 4k series gpu don't seem that great. I mean they canceled what was it the 4070 or 4070TI after some backlash on the specs. Now they've released the 4060TI and it's happening again. The performance isn't where it should be. I think with the 4060 it's the lack of vram holding it back. It almost seems better to get a good deal on a 3k series than to buy a 4k series right now.

The gpu is the only thing my computer could use right now, but I have no idea what I'm gonna do about that yet.

Intel is making gpu's now too though, and they just lowered the price of one of their gpus. I'm not sure intel performance matches up with amd or nvidia, but I'm hoping their pricing at least motivates nvidia and amd to lower their prices. Nvidia straight up confessed to artificially inflating the prices by limiting how much they produce.

Neither intel or nvidia get me excited as a company, but I still don't really consider any other options.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The 4k series gpu don't seem that great. I mean they canceled what was it the 4070 or 4070TI after some backlash on the specs. Now they've released the 4060TI and it's happening again. The performance isn't where it should be. I think with the 4060 it's the lack of vram holding it back. It almost seems better to get a good deal on a 3k series than to buy a 4k series right now.

The gpu is the only thing my computer could use right now, but I have no idea what I'm gonna do about that yet.

Intel is making gpu's now too though, and they just lowered the price of one of their gpus. I'm not sure intel performance matches up with amd or nvidia, but I'm hoping their pricing at least motivates nvidia and amd to lower their prices. Nvidia straight up confessed to artificially inflating the prices by limiting how much they produce.

Neither intel or nvidia get me excited as a company, but I still don't really consider any other options.
I've been described as a 'tinkerer', I have a Dell laptop that's Intel-based so I was alright with an AMD gaming build that might require some finagling to get just right. My experience has been largely smooth, though I know there were some voltage bugs with the 7000 series AMD CPUs. I'm likely sticking with my 3700X for a while, though upgrading my GPU is definitely a thing in the semi-near future.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Going full AMD has been fine with me. Needs one or two tweaks but if you're the type to be building your own PC and modifying your car, that's probably something you don't mind in life. I was fighting a random hard crash issue with gaming for a bit - it left nothing in the event viewer so very hard to diag - but from all I've read it's a PSU issue and not a GPU one. Undervolting the GPU solved it.

What's for lunch tho

Think imma do a chicken sando again. Need to get back to doing meal prep because my wallet is not happy with me.