GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Think I might plan on a new PC build next year. This one is great right now, but time always moves forward. Upgrading every 2 generations sounds good to me... and maybe I'll snag a nicer secondary monitor to scratch the itch this year.

Currently on a Ryzen 5600, 3200CL14 RAM, and a 6800XT. Ryzen 7000 and Radeon 8000 should be a nice jump.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The mechanical keyboard rabbit hole is nothing like it used to be. The way you can build them and customize them is pretty crazy now, and so is the pricing. They were selling a single Diablo 4 exclusive key for $70. FOR A SINGLE KEY!
View attachment 282557

The D on my corsair keyboard died earlier this year, so I replaced it with a GMMK 2 96%. I like the smaller form while still retaining the majority of keys, there's a few I'm missing and the different layout takes a little to get used to. I wanted to be able to swap out key switches in the future if I ever decided to.
A big selling point for mechanical keyboards in general is being able to repair them, I'm awful at soldering but it's definitely something I would attempt in an instance where a switch fails. With that said, I'm also very prone to buying more keyboards just because like tools, they all have different characteristics and are a fun hobby. I don't own any artisan keycaps, but I'd love to get one of those koi ones.

Keyboards: I have two on my desk. One for personal computer, and one for work computer. I'm way past my RGB\"gamer" aesthetic phase (despite still being a gamer), so I like pretty plain stuff.

Personal - Varmillo VA68M
Work - iKBC 108 Keyboard with MX Blues
(I love clicky switches)

Mice: Same. Have two.

Personal - Logitech G Pro Wireless
Work - An older version of the Logitech MX Master Wireless mouse.

Mouse Mat - Just generic ass Zhong Zhong XXL (36x16) Mouse Mat. It's the same shit as all the other ones, just plain.
I found it hard to find low-key options with the features I wanted for a while, and then my most recent build I just went 140% overkill with the RGB stuff, juuuuuuust as the fad was fading. I bought some RGB fans, my mouse and keyboard both do RGB things, while not intentional it's a feature I don't hate. I won't spend extra for RGB options on most stuff, but I won't count it out if it's otherwise got the features I want otherwise. Price is definitely my biggest factor though.

One word.....Filco

I have their "Majestouch "" with Cherry keys (can't remember which ones).
we're trying to ease him in, not just immediately get him addicted.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Think I might plan on a new PC build next year. This one is great right now, but time always moves forward. Upgrading every 2 generations sounds good to me... and maybe I'll snag a nicer secondary monitor to scratch the itch this year.

Currently on a Ryzen 5600, 3200CL14 RAM, and a 6800XT. Ryzen 7000 and Radeon 8000 should be a nice jump.
I think I got spoiled with Haswell -- I had a 4690K from release, went from SLI 650 Ti Boosts to a 970 and left it alone otherwise until 2020, when I built my current 3700X/5700XT build. It feels a little weird to need/want to buy a GPU so quickly after, but I'm fairly sure it's because I went to 1440p. Debating about selling my 5700XT or just putting it in another PC I have to use as a couch gaming rig, but it's a bit power-hungry. I bought it purely for the jokes, because it's the XFX 5700XT THICC III and I think the two c's making a little butt is hilarious.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I was the first between people I game with to get a mechanical keyboard a while ago. I couldn't get anyone to buy one until their old membrane keyboards died and they had to get a replacement. I pushed them into mechanical keyboards and now it's all anyone will use.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
A big selling point for mechanical keyboards in general is being able to repair them, I'm awful at soldering but it's definitely something I would attempt in an instance where a switch fails. With that said, I'm also very prone to buying more keyboards just because like tools, they all have different characteristics and are a fun hobby. I don't own any artisan keycaps, but I'd love to get one of those koi ones.

I found it hard to find low-key options with the features I wanted for a while, and then my most recent build I just went 140% overkill with the RGB stuff, juuuuuuust as the fad was fading. I bought some RGB fans, my mouse and keyboard both do RGB things, while not intentional it's a feature I don't hate. I won't spend extra for RGB options on most stuff, but I won't count it out if it's otherwise got the features I want otherwise. Price is definitely my biggest factor though.

Lol yeah not trying to spend that much right out the gate. Also seems expensive for a none wireless keyboard. I like the slim/mini wireless type like the Logitech MX Mechanical Mini or Nuphy Air line.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just copying and pasting my home workstation from the PC Gaming thread...

Recently (not really, sometime last year haha) updated my hardware to offset some taxes from freelance income. I updated most of the workstation early in the year and then added the GPU and monitors later on.

Parts list
1685459926893.png

2x Nvidia GTX Titan X (Pascal version)
1685459941330.png

Titan X versus 4080 size comparison
1685459959874.png

Glad everything fit in my Fractal Design R4 case because I love its simplicity. I did order the special cable from Corsair to have a single cable direct from the PSU to the GPU with no adapters and to help save on overall GPU width.
1685459977514.png

Passmark score
1685459988901.png

More importantly for my work, V-Ray rendering benchmark scores from various setups I've run. My render times have been cut in half in most cases, and depending on the project, sometimes up to 75%.
1685460007915.png

I have Cyberpunk 2077 installed, but just haven't had time to play it yet :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I was the first between people I game with to get a mechanical keyboard a while ago. I couldn't get anyone to buy one until their old membrane keyboards died and they had to get a replacement. I pushed them into mechanical keyboards and now it's all anyone will use.
I swear rubber domes are like typing in peanut butter.

I used to get equipment recycled from businesses for free as a function of my work, and so I had a setup consisting of 6 1080p monitors + a 4k TV, I've since gotten it down to 4 monitors + said TV. Replacing 3x 1080p monitors with a single 1440p ultrawide was a fantastic choice, and using DisplayFusion to manage my screen real-estate a bit better has made the whole setup very comfortable.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Just copying and pasting my home workstation from the PC Gaming thread...

Recently (not really, sometime last year haha) updated my hardware to offset some taxes from freelance income. I updated most of the workstation early in the year and then added the GPU and monitors later on.

Parts list
View attachment 280505

2x Nvidia GTX Titan X (Pascal version)
View attachment 280506

Titan X versus 4080 size comparison
View attachment 280507

Glad everything fit in my Fractal Design R4 case because I love its simplicity. I did order the special cable from Corsair to have a single cable direct from the PSU to the GPU with no adapters and to help save on overall GPU width.
View attachment 280508

Passmark score
View attachment 280509

More importantly for my work, V-Ray rendering benchmark scores from various setups I've run. My render times have been cut in half in most cases, and depending on the project, sometimes up to 75%.
View attachment 280510

I have Cyberpunk 2077 installed, but just haven't had time to play it yet

Idk what any of that means 😂
Sounds nice tho.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm more of a team blue and green guy than team red. I do have a few PCs at work I built that use amd cpus, but all my personal stuff has always been intel/nvidia.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
My last PC was a Dell laptop running windows Vista.

Never again. Went to Mac and never looked back.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm more of a team blue and green guy than team red. I do have a few PCs at work I built that use amd cpus, but all my personal stuff has always been intel/nvidia.
I was the same way for a long time until the price versus performance ratio really went in AMD's favor even more than it used to be. I'm super happy with my current AMD CPU. I'll always have to run an Nvidia GPU for Unreal Engine though and the extra raytracing performance it brings.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Such an early 2010's mentality.

Intel can go fuck themselves. They released the same damn 4c/8t processor every year for nearly a decade with marginal performance upgrades on a new socket just because "fuck you we can" since there was no real competition. Sure, they processors above 4c/8t, but at the mainstream consumer level? They let the market stagnate for years. Because for a long ass time, AMD just sucked at CPUs, putting out disappointment after disappointment. It wasn't until AMD's first Ryzen release in 2017, where they put out a consumer level 8c/16t CPU that made Intel finally go "Oh fuck, maybe we actually have to start innovating to keep up". Funny how in 2018, Intel finally started putting out consumer level stuff higher than 4c/8t...

Now on the flip side, Nvidia just continues to dominate. I'd love for some actual competition, but AMD still just can't compete on the GPU side. At least Nvidia continues to improve though despite no real threats or competition, unlike Intel when they had CPU dominance.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I think I got spoiled with Haswell -- I had a 4690K from release, went from SLI 650 Ti Boosts to a 970 and left it alone otherwise until 2020, when I built my current 3700X/5700XT build. It feels a little weird to need/want to buy a GPU so quickly after, but I'm fairly sure it's because I went to 1440p. Debating about selling my 5700XT or just putting it in another PC I have to use as a couch gaming rig, but it's a bit power-hungry. I bought it purely for the jokes, because it's the XFX 5700XT THICC III and I think the two c's making a little butt is hilarious.

This is what happened to me. I had been on a 5700XT at 1080/144 and then switched to 1440/144 and couldn't live at 60-75 fps. Bought the 6800xt after only having owned the 5700xt for a year. Now that's in a second PC that my GF could use for gaming if she wanted to.

Team Red v Team Green, I built my first PC with the original Ryzen chip because of $/Perf vs Intel, and a NV 1060. Been fully Team Red since because idgaf about ray trace and $/Perf from AMD in the graphics segment has been so much better. At least on the CPU side that looks like it's changed over the last 5 years so I might think about Intel on the next build, but Ryzen is what I know and what I'm comfortable with, plus I think they will keep AM5 chipset/socket for a bit like they did AM4 so 🤷‍♂️

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
My first 'real' PC was an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and a 6600GT (256mb model), for Half Life 2. since then I'd had a couple that were all Intel/Nvidia, but I wanted to try something different this time around and went all AMD. I had no complaints about my Haswell setup, but man the difference in performance upgrading was noticable even just in Windows, much less running applications and games.

Such an early 2010's mentality.

Intel can go fuck themselves. They released the same damn 4c/8t processor every year for nearly a decade with marginal performance upgrades on a new socket just because "fuck you we can" since there was no real competition. Sure, they processors above 4c/8t, but at the mainstream consumer level? They let the market stagnate for years. Because for a long ass time, AMD just sucked at CPUs, putting out disappointment after disappointment. It wasn't until AMD's first Ryzen release in 2017, where they put out a consumer level 8c/16t CPU that made Intel finally go "Oh fuck, maybe we actually have to start innovating to keep up". Funny how in 2018, Intel finally started putting out consumer level stuff higher than 4c/8t...

Now on the flip side, Nvidia just continues to dominate. I'd love for some actual competition, but AMD still just can't compete on the GPU side. At least Nvidia continues to improve though despite no real threats or competition, unlike Intel when they had CPU dominance.
I'm gonna challenge on this one -- Raytracing seems to be the big selling point for Nvidia hardware, but the price point is just absurd lately and their value proposition has been dropping with the 40 series. I haven't looked at the 7000 series AMD stuff, but the 6950 for ~$600 seems to be a good option, at least to not be stuck with 8gb of VRAM [still].

My last PC was a Dell laptop running windows Vista.

Never again. Went to Mac and never looked back.
Apple stuff is a decent OS held hostage by mediocre hardware.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also CSB: The day the first Ryzen CPUs came out, March 2nd 2017, my buddy and I were on our way to Microcenter in Boston to buy some 1700X's, and the transmission in my Nissan Altima went out in in the middle of an intersection. Nissan actually replaced the CVT for free even though it was just outside of warranty.