GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Colored in Light's Mk7 GTI Project

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
In preparation for some tuning, I went ahead and upgraded more pieces in the intake/turbo system. The ECS charge pipes were a pretty affordable upgrade over the plastic OEM charge pipes and removes all of the bottle necks in the system. The install required a lot of tiny tools and squeezing hands in ways I have not before to be sure the hose clamps were accessible. I learned my lesson to tighten these more than I first thought and had to adjust the pipes over the course of a couple drives. The pipe connected to the turbo outlet was the first to pop off under boost and then the pipe to the throttle body second. After adjusting these 2, everything has been fine since!

aerofabb and chargepipes-2.jpg

aerofabb and chargepipes-3.jpg

aerofabb and chargepipes-4.jpg

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
This is the one modification I have really been after for quite a while now. After the resonator delete pipe really didn't do much in regards to the sound of the car, a downpipe was next on the list. I don't really want to upgrade the muffler, because at the end of the day I still need to haul a baby around. Many people recommended keeping the stock muffler and throwing in a downpipe for a more aggressive but still OEM sounding car. The ATP did exactly that. It was a fairly easy install, the hardest part for me being removal of the stock downpipe and getting the heatshields out of the way. The ATP catted pipe slid right in after.

I chose catted because I didn't want to run into any emissions issues come inspection time. I have a similar high flow cat on my Miata and while it does still activate the MIL light with a p0421 cat code, a tune turns out the light and it's been fine ever since. That being said, my EQT stage 2 tune is on the way!

atp downpipe-3.jpg

atp downpipe-1.jpg

atp downpipe-2.jpg

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
No, I did not buy a P3 gauge. I know the P3 gauge is all around better for monitoring and tracking performance. You'll understand why I didn't spend the cash on that. I did however find the NewSouth boost gauge to be what I really wanted. OEM matching gauge face and needle, illuminated, basic. The vent pod fit perfectly as well.

newsouth boost gauge-2.jpg

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
I remember mentioning in my intro video how tunable the engines were, and happily am here to say within the first year of ownership I've been able to unlock this new potential of the car. I chose EQT because of the endless recommendations on social media and support. I got the COBB Accessport with stage 2 tune added. After receiving I realized I would need the DSG tune as well, so ordered that along with some fresh NGK racing spark plugs as recommended. Install was a breeze and I was on my way. Of course, the rain got in the way so I have yet to really ring it out. But the car feels awesome. Daily driving it's not really noticeable besides a little better power curve and shift points.

cobbaccessport.jpg

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
Yet another long awaited update on the build. I just forget to post here, life has been crazy busy! Nothing too fancy, and apologies for the audio in advance, but this is the first time taking the car out for a proper pull and drive around town. I absolutely love the new performance with the EQT Stage 2 tune. The car just feels much more 'factory performance spec'. This is how it should have felt from factory. The DSG shifts are smooth, precise and when you're on it - aggressive. I've been enjoying the tune for a little while now, and will continue to do so!

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
Another mod due to money burning in my back pocket. I had this on my wishlist for a while as just something to upgrade because I felt like it. Performance wise, it probably isn't doing anything but extending the life of the OEM unit. It's a well manufactured kit. AN lines with billet pieces make for a sleek looking aftermarket set up. However, as nice as it looks - it did not fit very easily.

I had to make some clearance in the firewall area to fit the 90 degree bend coming out of the TIP. Annoying, but I hid it with some silver reflective heat tape. Getting everything aligned was a pain, and losing the o ring midway through was obnoxious too, but a mistake on my end.

Would I buy this kit again? I guess the answer lies within the first sentence of this post. If I had money to burn, sure.

pcv hose.jpg

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
Jumping back into the interior side of things, one of the items on my list has always been a new shifter set up for the DSG transmission. The stock unit was used, kinda grimey and the leather was overall lacking in shine and quality. I chose the napa leather shift knob by Black Forest Industries.

The install was pretty easy, while some hiccups were experienced via stabbing my hand with a flathead screwdriver, overall not bad. The fit in the knob itself is a little lose but doesn't rattle or vibrate. The quality of materials is great though and love the new look it brings to the center console.

coloredinlight

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
The Mk7 GTI broke for the first time somewhat recently. Breaking it down quickly, I noticed during a commute home the car would bog or kick just a little bit when on the highway and cruising. I checked and regapped spark plugs, verified fuel rail pressure too but the issue only got worse. So, taking it for a test I went to go fill up on gas and the car would only take a gallon, maybe less at a time. I went to 3 different stations and tried to fill up gas but wouldn't fill. Then much to my surprise, gas started coming OUT of the filler neck and venting with a noise reminiscent of a bad night of Taco Bell. I made and appointment with the dealership and just crossed my fingers hoping the warranty would still be good.

Lucky enough, my warranty was still valid and they ended up replacing the evap canister and the entire fuel tank assembly due to a valve inside. Altogether was looking at a close to $3,500 repair and I was out the door with the $50 service fee.