GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'll ask Griffin about it. For now, between the ST-40 BBK and RSL29 pads, brake heat is not an issue for me (a statement that was tested at Laguna Seca 3 weeks ago).
It sounds like you don't understand what xds does. Xds will cause you to eat brakes faster on vs off tho.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Still, XDS is a brake-based system that appears to be driven from the wheel speed sensors to detect spin from the unloaded wheel and to apply brakes to that wheel until traction is regained. I am adding a mechanical LSD (as contrasted with the Haldex-like VAQ in the GTI) that is designed to reduce wheel spin as part of its normal operation, so it is probable that XDS won't be triggered as often as it would be without a mechanical LSD.

I'm not going to worry about it.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I had the 265/35R18 RE71R tires mounted today. I'll put them on the car this weekend, and if they don't rub much, leave them on the car to begin breaking them in.

I also bailed on the Integrated Engineering intercooler and went with an APR IC instead. The APR IC is in stock and will ship today. IE has no idea when their product would ship, and since they charged me for it 2 weeks ago, that right pissed me off.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
APR IC is the best on the market. There's cooling logs out there for the top 10 brands and APR blows them all away.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
RE71R’s have a stiffer sidewall compared to the Direzza’s looking forward to hear how they fit [emoji1688]

I paid for my UM triple tune today with Flex and have the MPI kit purchased too!

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
RE71R’s have a stiffer sidewall compared to the Direzza’s looking forward to hear how they fit [emoji1688]

I paid for my UM triple tune today with Flex and have the MPI kit purchased too!

Fitment should be fine. I will likely run lower pressures with them with some experimentation coming up. These will be used for autocross as they wear out too fast for my budget when used for HPDEs. I'll stick with the Dunlops for HPDEs.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Still, XDS is a brake-based system that appears to be driven from the wheel speed sensors to detect spin from the unloaded wheel and to apply brakes to that wheel until traction is regained. I am adding a mechanical LSD (as contrasted with the Haldex-like VAQ in the GTI) that is designed to reduce wheel spin as part of its normal operation, so it is probable that XDS won't be triggered as often as it would be without a mechanical LSD.

I'm not going to worry about it.

Cliff, I was chatting to Jeff Mason and he runs a wavetrac, and he says that the electronics react faster than the diff can lock.

I have a VAQ and will likely go the same route as you with a wavetrac when I upgrade my clutch. I would prefer a plate type LSD like my OS Giken. Wish they would make one fo the MQB.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
The day after I pick up the car from Griffin I am instructing at a teen car control clinic. We typically set up a skidpad before lunch and the instructors get to go out and play during lunchtime. I'll be out there playing with throttle steering and form my own opinion about the behaviors of the diff. The following week, assuming I make it off the waitlist, I'll be at an autocross doing further explorations. If I feel the need to adjust the behaviors of the XDS+ system, then I have a VCDS cable.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
The day after I pick up the car from Griffin I am instructing at a teen car control clinic. We typically set up a skidpad before lunch and the instructors get to go out and play during lunchtime. I'll be out there playing with throttle steering and form my own opinion about the behaviors of the diff. The following week, assuming I make it off the waitlist, I'll be at an autocross doing further explorations. If I feel the need to adjust the behaviors of the XDS+ system, then I have a VCDS cable.
Can handles better with xds low or off. Plus it helped with brake wear a good ammount.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I installed the 265/35 tires today and took a test drive. They rub under sharp compressions, but I expected that. I should chalk them so I can see where they are rubbing. Griffin will set the ride height appropriately when they install the coilovers. I'll leave them on the car to break them in. Interestingly, the section width on the RE71R's measured at 10.2", which is the same as what I measured for my 255/35 Dunlop ZIII's.

Attachments

• 265 tires-8310330-20190831.jpg
    265 tires-8310330-20190831.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 587
  • 265 tires-8310329-20190831.jpg
    265 tires-8310329-20190831.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 614