GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I have Progressive and have for a while....going on 20 years now, since I was listed on my parent's policy before too and that counted towards my history/loyalty.
The price is totally right and the cheapest I've found, for a reputable/known company.

BUT I think you're right about the claim part. The wife got hit yesterday in her new (3 week old) '20 Traverse and they're being stupid already. The other girl ran a red light, and there was a witness, so it's not her fault. Although we're in "no fault" land here in Michigan (which is stupid) and we need to wait for the police report (takes a week).
Best case, assuming she has insurance, is that we do a "mini tort" and get our deductible money back. If not...we're out the $500 deductible for something that wasn't even our fault. Dumb

Of course, they wanted us to go to their Progressive shop to get things expedited quicker she said....no thanks.
I was just gonna take it to the Chevy dealer that is 5 minutes up the road instead.
Anyways....the body shop guy says Progressive will come out and look at my car at my house.
The front end is blown out/missing, but the car is drive able. We don't have rental car coverage, but the dealer said they'd give us a free loaner while the car is actually getting repaired.
Well the "agent" I have assigned to my claim calls me and says that I need to drop if off on Monday at the dealer for the adjuster to look at it, and they'll look at it "within 2-3 days."
So I need to just let my car sit there, and be without a car, for what should be a under 1/2 hour job to estimate because they're incapable of scheduling??
So then I had to call her back again, because I wasn't having that, and she said I could request a "field adjuster" and they'd come look at it IN 7-10 days because I "wasn't a priority." WTF???
Then she comes back on the line and says she sent me a link instead where I can snap SPECIFIC photos of the car and they'll basically do a online/remote estimate and it'll only take 1 day. I gotta do that today.
Yikes

So after I get an estimate, forward that to the body shop & he can order the parts, wait for parts to come in, then drop the car off, get a loaner car and then wait for it to be done.
Major pain in the ass.

So yeah...maybe it pays to have a local agent instead

Re: the whole rental car thing - it's clearly her fault. She ran a red. Unless it's just a Michigan thing (?? :iono: ) I'd kinda expect your insurance to just put you up in a rental car right away - because it'd be coming out of the other party's coverage in the end.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Re: the whole rental car thing - it's clearly her fault. She ran a red. Unless it's just a Michigan thing (?? :iono: ) I'd kinda expect your insurance to just put you up in a rental car right away - because it'd be coming out of the other party's coverage in the end.
Michigan is a no fault state. Only state in the country with those laws, moral of the story is don't get in an accident in Michigan, you'll pay for your own damages regardless of what occurred.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Well.... happy Friday to me.... just closed the deal on a sort of "relationship starter" sponsorship for next season w/Continental Tire. #muchexcite. #dontfuckitup

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
yeah i've learned that in the future when they ask if the car is drivable, to either say NO or "I am unsure" simply to keep your priority of things. just because it rolls doesn't mean your frame isn't bent, right?
DAMN....that's a knowledge bomb right there!

Saving that good info for a rainy day, thanks

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Michigan is a no fault state. Only state in the country with those laws, moral of the story is don't get in an accident in Michigan, you'll pay for your own damages regardless of what occurred.

Yup...Michigan insurance is a joke & they keep claiming they're going to reform it, but nope. We have the highest rates in the nation too.
It's because there are no limits on the medical coverage from an accident, I believe. You get hurt and they keep paying it for life, or something like that.
They claim it's going to drop $100 or $120 next year because of a stupid fee they've been charging everyone and it just keeps creeping up every year. But still...we're "on average" $500 higher than the 2nd highest state, for insurance costs, according to Google. Insane

I don't have the (extra cost) rental coverage anyways, but once the car does go into the local Chevy body shop...they'll give us a free loaner car.

But yeah...like Jay said, we're a "no fault" state. But, the kicker, like I said in the other post....they still determine fault though. MIND BLOWN
Your insurance has to cover it.
Unless your car is parked that gets hit & you get that person's info...for example, my mom backed into my parked car in their driveway years ago....it was a collision, but since it was parked HER insurance company paid for everything to fix my car. No claim thru my insurance.
If it was a hit & run, then you'd probably claim comprehensive (I believe?)....I'm not sure.

And best case scenario, they determine the other girl is 51% or more at fault...she has insurance & the mini tort coverage....THEN I can recoup my deductible back from her insurance company (the limit is $1000)....our deductible is $500.
If not, then I'm out $500 and our insurance will go up (most likely) regardless....even though it's not our fault. Completely stupid

So the car awaits to go get fixed now.

Posted these in the other thread, but why not...it's mostly just cosmetic/bolt on stuff:
179D5CFA-0297-49AF-BA05-C6FCFFF04C24 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

5E6782EE-9C2C-4CB9-A748-D1F8E997453D by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

3D67722A-216A-459C-8BD2-C41D5AE98630 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

9AE2F7E9-41DC-4E82-BD97-699E2D319AA4 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
yeah wow, finally got a small bit of surprise snow today.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Those moments when you REALLY want to call someone out on their hypocrisy because they suddenly found some life virtue in the last year and feel they now have to preach it.... but you think better of it...

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Those moments when you REALLY want to call someone out on their hypocrisy because they suddenly found some life virtue in the last year and feel they now have to preach it.... but you think better of it...

In for backstory

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Years ago, had a friend of probably 10 years. Knew him through work. Part of the same rat race. Working, climbing (at work and socially), trying to grow up and get somewhere in life. He made lots of job changes, chasing success however he could. Wife, kids, big mortgage, few nice cars, etc. One day his employer gets acquired by Hewlett Packard... and he gets a fairly substantial cash bonus. Paid off the cars, student loans, good chunk of his house. Suddenly (practically overnight) he's going around ripping on anybody climbing the ladder, anybody who has a mortgage or car payment, doing his best to "educate" everyone on how bad having any debt is, etc.

Like, easy there fella... last week you were just like the rest of us. Suddenly you get a windfall and now you're ahead of everyone and feel that gives you the right to preach?

Unfortunately for him - he's continued to play the game, expecting future windfalls... and they haven't come, he's spent the money, and now he's back in the rat race. I wonder how that crow tastes.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^ I really do not miss being an adjuster
I could only imagine

I ended up getting an estimate right away (in less than a day), by using the phone app & taking the pictures myself.
They cut a check already for $4800 ($5300 - my deductible of $500), but I know there's stuff they're missing from it already. But the shop will just tell Progressive and they'll pay them for it
Oh well, at least it gets the ball rolling