GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car-Net Free Trial

sarenar

Does everybody sign up for this?
I know it's there for safety/emergency purposes but is there any reason not to?
Will they track your car constantly if you do sign up, or am I just being paranoid that it feels like someone is watching you all the time and knows where you are?

Boosted_2.0

Ready to race!
I signed up to try it. I am curious if it will still call for emergency if you let it expire?

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Therunner

I took the trial but I won't sign up for it after that. I don't see a real use for it. If I need help I will use my phone. If I get hurt too bad to call, I am sure someone else will call it in.. If I lived in a rural area with bad celphone signals maybe. As far as theft recovery goes, if they steal it, I don't want it back. I'll take the pay off and buy a new car. :)

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
It's like insurance, you never think that you'll need it until you do. that said, I'll continue the service if I can negotiate a better price. Beside the safety part is also good if you lend your car to your kids etc.setting boundaries and speed warnings etc.

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
If you sign up, they require a CC# and will auto renew it when it becomes time. Make sure if you don't want to keep it or pay for it you cancel it early.

HercAviTech

I signed up because the app will let you lock or unlock your car, see how much gas you have, etc. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N10S

Ready to race!
I signed up because the app will let you lock or unlock your car, see how much gas you have, etc. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I originally bought my car last year, and was under the full court press by VW to have me sign-up for the free CarNet trial I reviewed the capabilities and at the time you could unlock your car but you could not lock it. So for instance if I had parked my car and walked a couple of blocks away and realized that I might not have locked my car, I could verify if it was or was not locked via my smart phone, but if it wasn't I could not lock it remotely and would have to walk all the way back to my car to lock it. No doubt in my mind that the functional capability to perform that remote locking task is present, but was just a feature that they were not offering at the time. Has that changed? The Car-Net website still shows the remote key FOB with just the "unlock" symbol.

To the OP's original comments about being paranoid that VW would be able to track you constantly, in the end I never enabled mine as the engine diagnostics capabilities made me concerned that "big brother" VW would be monitoring all kinds of driving and engine performance data and could potentially allow them to see how you drive the car and possibly see if you had your ECU flashed, etc. In the back of my mind I figure that as long as the CarNet module is enabled they probably have access to your cars data whether you have agreed to take their service or not. I would personally like to fully disable the feature if possible, but based on a few other threads its not going to be an easy process.

shuko

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
When I originally bought my car last year, and was under the full court press by VW to have me sign-up for the free CarNet trial I reviewed the capabilities and at the time you could unlock your car but you could not lock it. So for instance if I had parked my car and walked a couple of blocks away and realized that I might not have locked my car, I could verify if it was or was not locked via my smart phone, but if it wasn't I could not lock it remotely and would have to walk all the way back to my car to lock it. No doubt in my mind that the functional capability to perform that remote locking task is present, but was just a feature that they were not offering at the time. Has that changed? The Car-Net website still shows the remote key FOB with just the "unlock" symbol.

To the OP's original comments about being paranoid that VW would be able to track you constantly, in the end I never enabled mine as the engine diagnostics capabilities made me concerned that "big brother" VW would be monitoring all kinds of driving and engine performance data and could potentially allow them to see how you drive the car and possibly see if you had your ECU flashed, etc. In the back of my mind I figure that as long as the CarNet module is enabled they probably have access to your cars data whether you have agreed to take their service or not. I would personally like to fully disable the feature if possible, but based on a few other threads its not going to be an easy process.

I had the same concerns and completely removed the box.

Once you've gotten to it, it's quite easy to disconnect the CarNet control box, and if you jumper the microphone connections, you don't lose any functionality (bluetooth, GPS, etc. all still work) The trick is getting to it - it's behind the dash cluster.