GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't jump start a dead battery

Christian1

Hey all,

I left my lights on the other night on my 2009 VW Rabbit and when I tried to jump start it using my roommate's car we weren't able to. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right before doing another run.

As I understand the jumper cables should go dead positive -> live positive and dead ground -> live negative. Is this correct or should they be going dead negative to live negative? In a video I watched they said the ground surface needs to be an unpainted metal, though what I tried last night is the knob next to the battery which was painted so I'm guessing maybe the current wasn't flowing through the paint? I also bought a battery charger so I can try it without a car but would rather not open it so I can return it if I can jump start it using another car.

Is there any chance the battery needs to be replaced? I never had a problem starting before, though I only had the car for about a month.

Can someone that's done it on a similar model help me out? I'm leaving tomorrow for a two week vacation so really don't want to leave the battery drained for that long as I'd probably have to replace it after.

Cheers!