GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can you custom dyno tune our ECU's?

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
I want to eventually go water-methanol injection. I hear our ECU's are very picky. I don't want to install water-methanol injection if I can't reap the actual benefits of it.

These ECU's are very smart and your average "custom tuner" isn't going to be able to do this easily. It iwll require countless hours of tweaking to get the file right and thats considering he has had a lot of time invested into development of the tune to start. Even the best of the best took a long time to learn these ECU's.

Hope this helps!

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
That does help, thank you. It's a shame that tuning this engine basically requires an aftermarket ECU assembly like Haltech.

There are many calibrators tuning this engine currently, but I have yet to hear of any of them supporting methanol injection at this time. Pretty sure the 1.8T's came with MPI from the factory in ROW cars just like the 2.0T's did.

At this point it probably wouldn't be worth it until the platform expands more. APR is selling an MPI kit for the 2.0T's that works in conjunction with the Stage 3 kits and uses most factory parts and some custom retrofit pieces. The enabling of the functions needed are available to be turned on in the software, but that stems off from my previous response. Only the right people should be doing it and if it is worth it, it will happen, just need time. :cool:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I want to eventually go water-methanol injection. I hear our ECU's are very picky. I don't want to install water-methanol injection if I can't reap the actual benefits of it.

You don't need a custom tune to take advantage of water/meth injection. Common practice would be to run an aggressive tune. Example: get the Stage 1 100 octane file from APR. Run 91 or 93 octane fuel in your tank and use water/methanol to add to your fueling. This will allow you to run a race file daily. I have been running a race file on my K04 MKV this way for over 2 years. The added benefit of water meth is that it can cool your intake temps in a way that even the largest intercooler cannot. I live in a very hot climate, over 100 degrees in the heat of summer. With water meth I get very little power degradation in the heat.

Note: Methanol has an octane rating of 116 octane.

In general you spray far away from intake manifold for cooling, as close as possible to intake manifold for fueling. For instance I spray using 2 nozzles. 1 nozzle just after the intercooler (cooling) and one nozzle in a throttle body plate bolted to the intake manifold (fueling). You spray close so the w/m mix gets into the cylinder as droplets (not evaporated) so it can be used as fuel.

Basically you get the 100 octane tune, then you dial in the water meth system to meet the fueling needs of the tune. There is more to all this but this is the abbreviated version of how to get the most out of water meth.

Last edited:

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Not sure if Cobb plans on releasing the AP for the Golf but that would be able to do a custom tune.

Last I heard... They talked about getting it up for the GTI and R. I don't remember hearing them talk about getting the AP out for the Golf.