GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Ignition Coils vs RS3 Ignition Coils

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace the stock ignition coils in my 2016 mk7 GTI. Im currently at 64K miles and have been APR Stage 2 since 2K miles 4.5 years ago. I wanted to purchase the APR Ignition Coils due to the performance and reliability of products / tunes but they are out of stock everywhere and there is no word on they will be back in stock. A alternative to the APR Ignition Coils I'd consider are the RS3 coils. Im curious if anyone knows how the APR Ignition Coils compare to the RS3 Ignition Coils (Quality, Performance over OEM, etc.)

I appreciate the replies in advance!

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If you search you will find a few identical posts from APR explaining the coil packs.

Neither of them will change a thing for your car if you aren't having any ignition problems that are caused by a faulty coil pack. The RS3 coils are basically identical to your stock GTI coils. The APR coil packs according to APR, deliver 10% more energy output. They are also red. The end.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ignition_coils.html

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I'm not sure you'll ever get a good comparison between the APR coils and the RS3/OEM coils. APR claims there is no difference between the RS3 coils and the other MQB coils.

This is the best response I have seen from an APR rep
ope.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Op you didn't say that your original coils are faulty so why bother spending to replace them? Your car won't be any faster if your original coils are okay.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Op you didn't say that your original coils are faulty so why bother spending to replace them? Your car won't be any faster if your original coils are okay.

I don't think it's a terrible idea to replace the coils as a preventive maintenance item. It's really not much different than people that change their oil every 5k. The oil is probably functionally fine... until it's not.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't think it's a terrible idea to replace the coils as a preventive maintenance item. It's really not much different than people that change their oil every 5k. The oil is probably functionally fine... until it's not.

But coils aren't a wear item like oil, plugs etc. Don't they either work or not? I don't know about the OP but a lot of guys read the advertising hype about coils and think that their car will be faster.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
But coils aren't a wear item like oil, plugs etc. Don't they either work or not? I don't know about the OP but a lot of guys read the advertising hype about coils and think that their car will be faster.

It's not a scheduled wear item, but they do fail. Since I only have one car, I'd rather change the coils every once in a while than have one fail on me when I need the car. Going with the APR coils and expecting better performance is going to be disappointing for sure. My point is I don't think there is a reason to discourage anyone from swapping coils if their current coils are functioning, but should definitely educate that changing coils probably won't make additional power.

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for the replies so far. One thing that I have noticed is at idle my car would feel like it jerks or stutters at times when just standing there. I was thinking that ignition coils could help that and as a preventative measure as well.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for the replies so far. One thing that I have noticed is at idle my car would feel like it jerks or stutters at times when just standing there. I was thinking that ignition coils could help that and as a preventative measure as well.

Did you check the plugs? If your plugs are old also, change the coils and the plugs.

A7xogg

Passed Driver's Ed
One thing I learned from school, if you replace any component of ur ignition system (cool packs, spark plugs, distributor, cap, spark plugs wires) and you didn't notice a difference it means you had good stuff on the car already. An upgrade never hurts or replacing them at the scheduled maintenance even though car is running 100%. I included distributor parts too cause that applies to all applications

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Filip I take it you've tried finding them at all of your local APR dealers? I know my APR dealer had them in stock at one time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's not a scheduled wear item, but they do fail. Since I only have one car, I'd rather change the coils every once in a while than have one fail on me when I need the car. Going with the APR coils and expecting better performance is going to be disappointing for sure. My point is I don't think there is a reason to discourage anyone from swapping coils if their current coils are functioning, but should definitely educate that changing coils probably won't make additional power.

I agree with if a coil fails but I wouldn't replace them until one fails. If someone can afford to replace working coils then go for it. I will say that when I need coils I will get the APR coils because they cost the same as OEM. I'll order them and have them available for when an OEM coil fails.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

More likely a spark plug.