GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Coilovers - anybody running them?

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Looking to upgrade from my H&R springs and stock struts to some coilovers.

First I decided on KW V1’s then I learned about ST X. Basically decided on ST X but was hoping to wait for a sale. They’re about $920 right now.

Stumbled upon APR’s clearance sale on their coilovers - $735 free shipping. From what I’ve read online they’re rebranded Eibachs which I’ve heard good things about. They’re also stainless steel which the ST’s aren’t.

Not sure if that really matters, I live in Vancouver so it rains a ton but my car hardly sees snow/salt ever.

A plus for ST is the 5 year warranty, no idea what APR’s is.

Would you hop on the APR coilovers for $735 or go for the ST X?
I’m leaning towards APR because it seems their MSRP is $1200-$1300, but I know APR is generally overpriced.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
This is a great point....
For the price you’ll def. Be hard pressed to find any street coilover setup that’s remotely comparable in quality.

Just keep in mind for fcp warranty aspect - you’re atleast covered for the the money spend should you ever get to a point of replacing them since they wont have a replacement fart if they available down the line since it’s on such a sale to get rid of the remaining stock.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
For the price you’ll def. Be hard pressed to find any street coilover setup that’s remotely comparable in quality.

Just keep in mind for fcp warranty aspect - you’re atleast covered for the the money spend should you ever get to a point of replacing them since they wont have a replacement fart if they available down the line since it’s on such a sale to get rid of the remaining stock.
The ST X coils are $920, so about $200 more.
From what I have gathered, APR should be a better ride quality and also stainless steel which ST's aren't.

I think its a no brainer to go with these. But I am not sure.
Good point on the warranty. I wouldn't be upset with having to replace them with something else if one strut failed./

EDIT - ordered the apr kit fuck it

Last edited:

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If those APR springs are as big as their regular coil springs... they're completely unusable with camber plates FYI. If you want better performance, you need some camber up front so they're a big no-go for that IMO. They're a larger diameter than stock.
Good to know, I don't plan to get camber plates and I don't track or anything like that. Just typical daily driver.

Hoping it'll be more comfortable and less bouncy than my h&r springs on stock struts.