GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

air intake knock after oil catch can install

professor9

I apologize if this was asked before, I was not able to find the thread.
I have MK VI golf r with 56 k on it. I run IE air intake with the ecu flash stage 1. After purchasing the 034 Motor Sport oil catch can, I started having knock sound coming from the air intake/air filter. I reached out to 034 Motor Sport customer support tech but no help. Wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and what possible solutions are there, things to try, etc. I did check the lines and they are installed correctly, did empty the catch can as it had some water in it from being cold and driving short distances, not sure what else to check or to do. Please help if you are knowledgeable or had this issue, etc. Thanks in advance!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I personally don't think this knock is coming from the air intake, air filter...
maybe record the knock you hear?

professor9

Once i open the dip stick for the catch can the knock goes away. Its from air intake, i tried attaching a video but it only allows for a picture..

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Once i open the dip stick for the catch can the knock goes away. Its from air intake, i tried attaching a video but it only allows for a picture..
upload the video to youtube and send the link here, or use an alternative video hosting website and copy paste the URL here.

I don't think the knock is from the air intake.... if it is... it's from the turbo... I can be wrong but I know the intake connects to the turbo

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Since this knock happened after the catch can, I would check the catch can and the installation again to make sure it's good. If a problem arises after a mod install, it's usually that mod causing the problem

Last edited:

professor9

Since this knock happened after the catch can, I would check the catch can and the installation again to make sure it's good. If a problem persists after a mod, it's usually that mod causing the problem
An updated, i took the catch can off and installed the stock pvc system back.....the rattle went away....am returning the catch can to 034 motorsport as they agreed to take it back. Not sure if anyone else had this going on but it would be good to know. thanks for responding to this.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
An updated, i took the catch can off and installed the stock pvc system back.....the rattle went away....am returning the catch can to 034 motorsport as they agreed to take it back. Not sure if anyone else had this going on but it would be good to know. thanks for responding to this.
it's a hit or miss with 034 from what I've heard. Good to hear they took it back and the noise went away. Thanks for updating!