GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia's Build Thread With A Boring Title Currently

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
ah nice (hot bbw^ btw)

i was waiting for you to say holy n00b read the thread and ready to reply with 'thanks for your reply thats exactly the reaponse I was looking for'

When you don't have time to update a thread title properly, I assume you don't have time to read a full thread.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@swcrow I initially bought the 15ml thing of Gtechniq C5 because it was going to take too long for the 30ml to come in, and I'm impatient. Now it's been sitting on my desk for over two weeks and I still haven't gotten around to it 🤣

Have the day off tomorrow, think I'll finally pull my wheels off, deep clean them, and put it on...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
@swcrow I initially bought the 15ml thing of Gtechniq C5 because it was going to take too long for the 30ml to come in, and I'm impatient. Now it's been sitting on my desk for over two weeks and I still haven't gotten around to it 🤣

Have the day off tomorrow, think I'll finally pull my wheels off, deep clean them, and put it on...
Excited to see the outcome

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

If you're too lazy to take yours off, I can drop off mine so you can practice

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
mortal-kombat-started.gif

PXL_20230616_152823935.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So cleaned the wheels good. I called them clean when I could dry them off and the drying towel didn't pick up any dirt.

Coating them seemed pretty easy, unless I was doing it wrong? But it seems kinda hard to fuck up. Wipe on, wait, buff off.

1686934400448.png

Not sure if I was using enough product, since I still have about a third of the 15ml bottle left?

1686934440040.png

The one thing I'd say to anyone who does this in the future, is if you don't have a wife\gf with some makeup applicator pads, grab some before starting. It only comes with 4, and by the end of each wheel, it was falling apart.

@swcrow anywhere in your travels have you seen how long to wait before washing the car? All the packing says is store inside and wait at least 12 hours before exposing to the elements. Nothing about how long before I can wash the car.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm not here to judge

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So cleaned the wheels good. I called them clean when I could dry them off and the drying towel didn't pick up any dirt.

Coating them seemed pretty easy, unless I was doing it wrong? But it seems kinda hard to fuck up. Wipe on, wait, buff off.

View attachment 283945

Not sure if I was using enough product, since I still have about a third of the 15ml bottle left?

View attachment 283946

The one thing I'd say to anyone who does this in the future, is if you don't have a wife\gf with some makeup applicator pads, grab some before starting. It only comes with 4, and by the end of each wheel, it was falling apart.

@swcrow anywhere in your travels have you seen how long to wait before washing the car? All the packing says is store inside and wait at least 12 hours before exposing to the elements. Nothing about how long before I can wash the car.
Can attest to how easily those applicator pads shredded ….I almost ran out before my last wheel.

As for washing, the wheels were in my house for 48 hours as I had an appointment to put tires on them on a Friday so they stayed out of any elements until then. If you can wait at least 24 you should be fine.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wheels look good too! I thought the same thing about the amount I had left over, but I was overall impressed how far it went with each application (did about 1/2 wheel each time)

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Get some suede applicators or OptiCoat blue foam pad. I use one for the entire car, or for the entire set of wheels. They hold plenty of coating so you don't have to be reloading a lot.

For any coating, unless otherwise specified I allow at least 24 hrs before getting wet, and 7 days before washing, the closer you can wait to 30 day without washing the better. That is the full cure time for any glass/SiO2 coating.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Get some suede applicators or OptiCoat blue foam pad. I use one for the entire car, or for the entire set of wheels. They hold plenty of coating so you don't have to be reloading a lot.

For any coating, unless otherwise specified I allow at least 24 hrs before getting wet, and 7 days before washing, the closer you can wait to 30 day without washing the better. That is the full cure time for any glass/SiO2 coating.

Wait 30 days when it's already been two weeks since I've washed my car?!?!

nervous-sweating.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
They're still just chilling in the garage, cars on jack stands. Didn't have plans to even put them back on the car before the 24hr mark. But was hoping to wash my car on Sunday\Monday depending on the weather 🤣

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
They're still just chilling in the garage, cars on jack stands. Didn't have plans to even put them back on the car before the 24hr mark. But was hoping to wash my car on Sunday\Monday depending on the weather 🤣
I've got some fauxtroits you can borrow if you need wheels to throw on your car to get it into the driveway. :ROFLMAO:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
When I had a car that was going to go out the same day I applied the coating I used OptiSeal over the coating 1 hr after it was installed. OptiSeal lasts around 7 days on top of a coating before it is "shed" off. Cheap insurance in case the car got wet. Maybe Gtechniq has something similar that you can apply as a sacrificial layer.