GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7.5R Infotainment system dead after battery drain and jump start.

mk75r-wi

Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Today I tried the adaptive cruise control for the first time on my 6MT R. Got to my destination, locked the car and on coming back to the car after 2 hours I noticed DRLs were running. I opened the door and saw a warning on dash with some beeping saying “adaptive lights malfunction”, something like this. Tried to start the car and battery seemed dead, had someone help me jump start it (very thankful for the cables provided by VW) and after a while noticed center console screen was dead.

Since then I’ve driven about 40 miles, connected the car to Noco charger and it showed battery was almost fully charged. Have tried pressing and holding the power button for 10s, 20s and even a minute but nothing happens, also tried the eject button in the glove box.

It also feels like somehow using adaptive cruise control is linked to the adaptive light malfunction warning. Or could be just a coincidence.

Anybody else experienced this ever and any suggestions on fixing this or what could be wrong?

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
It sounds like you need a new battery. I had many weird malfunctions and then it culminated to the car not starting 5 minutes after shutting the car off. Instead of jumping it at the time, I just went and bought a battery since I had been planning to replace it anyway. I'm almost willing to bet that if you swap the battery it'll go back to normal.

mk75r-wi

Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Disconnected the negative terminal for 5 seconds and the screen came alive. Will monitor it closely when I use cruise control next time, in case that’s what caused it. These drive assist sensors seem to be finicky in Golf, I think it also braked suddenly itself long time ago on a railway track dip, could’ve easily gotten rear ended but it was a slow stretch of road and nobody was too close behind me.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Disconnected the negative terminal for 5 seconds and the screen came alive. Will monitor it closely when I use cruise control next time, in case that’s what caused it. These drive assist sensors seem to be finicky in Golf, I think it also braked suddenly itself long time ago on a railway track dip, could’ve easily gotten rear ended but it was a slow stretch of road and nobody was too close behind me.
Trust me, it's time for a new battery. That's where your finickyness is coming from. It's not worth screwing around with it. It's likely the reason why removing the negative reset everything for the time being. I was randomly stranded at the most inopportune time when my battery failed. It's not worth setting off saving $250 by 2-3 months when you get stuck somewhere.