GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R Pricing

greens

Ready to race!
Golf R is classified as a regular Golf by most insurance companies and is cheaper to insurance than a GTI (as reported by several owners).

My insurance went UP going from a GTI to a Golf R.

I can confirm that USAA definitely recognizes it as a different car from a standard Golf.

I was toying with the idea of moving up from my 2018 S to a new Spektrum Golf R. Not only would it have cost roughly $24K after taxes to make the move but my insurance would have gone up another $70/month.

As much I would like a R that's a hard pass. Decided to take that $24K and buy a brand new sport Miata instead.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
My insurance went UP going from a GTI to a Golf R.

I can confirm that USAA definitely recognizes it as a different car from a standard Golf.

I was toying with the idea of moving up from my 2018 S to a new Spektrum Golf R. Not only would it have cost roughly $24K after taxes to make the move but my insurance would have gone up another $70/month.

My previous comment was based on the info provided by R owners in the past (linking a couple of threads below).

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52496

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52844

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed

As much I would like a R that's a hard pass. Decided to take that $24K and buy a brand new sport Miata instead.

Smart and fun for the win!

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
You should be comparing the Autobahn cost to the R not an SE. Regardless more goes into value than just initial purchase price. Depreciation kills most if not all of the initial savings GTI owners enjoy. My R cost me less over 3.5 years than an Autobahn would have, makes the difference easy to justify.

Man, I hear ya on the depreciation on GTI’s. Been looking and it’s pretty bad. But, buying used GTI with little to no warranty is not appealing to me either.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Man, I hear ya on the depreciation on GTI’s. Been looking and it’s pretty bad. But, buying used GTI with little to no warranty is not appealing to me either.

so get a used 2018/2019. they'll still have plenty of the 6 year/72000 left. Plus another 12/12 if its certified.