GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag you name it....this is the way...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Neuspeed P-Flo...WHOOOOSSHHH
20200527_194826.jpg
20200527_194821.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Been busy with a few more things.

1) Euro Golf R Variant rear diffuser/valence and quad tips

Tips off Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-oval-duplex-offset-staggered-exhaust-tip-angle-cut-2-25-inlet-stainless/254051529849?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Diffuser/valence from e-acca (2 parts - the valence/diffuser piece and a honeycomb insert) - part nos. shown in pic of my invoice below.
Had it welded on a local exhaust shop - they cut off the downturn tips and then made custom adapters to go from the smaller diameter muffler exists to the larger diameter tip inlets.

2) ECS grille air scoop

Not meant for the slatted Golf R/Golf grille but for the honeycomb Alltrack/GTI grille. Had to somewhat rig this but it works fine - the issue is simply that the grille isn't wide enough or flat enough on top and the scoop has to sit pretty far forward due to the configuration of the radiator support and you can't cut the opening/place the grate that far forward b/c it is curved/drops off. Still better than nothing.

3) H&R 25mm rear sway bar and Moog end links

I had the Golf R RSB on there but wanted more. This one is fantastic. Not harsh but firms the entire car up. The Moog end links are a bargain for what you get - metal that are greaseable. Easy install on ramps. You need an 18mm narrow wrench to snug the the bolts down. I put the bar on then the end links...you can probably do it by putting the end links on first and maneuvering them into position. Either way, simple job.

Golf_R_diffuser.JPG
20200616_144114.jpg
20200611_092856.jpg
20200611_203528.jpg
20200611_220949.jpg
20200611_231156.jpg
20200611_220850.jpg
20200611_223207.jpg

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
40K on the GSW this week. Bought it new in Nov 2018. So far so good. The only warranty work I’ve had done was having the recirculation motor replaced twice in the HVAC system (the pop pop pop noise under the dash). Tuned with Unitronic’s Stage 1 ECU/TCU software at 3K miles/Jan 2019. Had the IS20, DP, and software upgrade installed at 21K miles/Oct 2019. Only tune-related issue was an overboost/limp mode problem that Unitronic sorted with a revised tune – no issues since. Maintenance has been 6 oil changes (5 with LM Leichtlauf, now on my second interval with LM Molygen), DSG/Haldex service and 3 sets of plugs (replaced the originals at ~20K with stock plugs when I did the IS20 and then again (with RS3 coil packs) a few K miles later due to the overboost/misfires...it wasn't the plugs/coils, also the Densos I used for that replacement lasted about 8K before they started misfiring so on NGK RS7s now with APR coils and no drama). MPGs have averaged ~24 over that time with a ~45/55 split city to hwy. This car rips and continues to be a great DD/commuter car. The only regret I have is not getting a clear bra on the f. end - it has gotten pretty chewed up from all the highway driving but I buy my cars to drive, not to be show cars and a little touch up paint now and then sorts that out. I should hit the 72K mile warranty limit sometime late next year.

My next upgrades/mods will be a Unitronic IC and charge pipe/hose set. They are on sale now so I went ahead and ordered them. After that, I'll replace the brake lines with SS ones when I do a brake fluid flush later this year. Finally, I'll finish off the year with a UM Haldex tune. Next year the plan is to replace the stock dampers with Bilstein B8s for a proper "cup kit" setup.

perfect shot 2.jpg
engine bay.jpg

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's time for a new Dragy. You must be better than a 12.34 now.
Not in the summer. I'll have to wait until fall to see what it's got.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Neuspeed stainless brake lines and fresh Motul RBF fluid.
20200714_151614.jpg
20200714_102815.jpg
20200714_101759.jpg

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
So I was reviewing your thread for the homelink mirror, and I just watched the SHOPDAP vid with Paul.

Would having a boost gauge installed screw up this install as the boost gauge also pulls power from the HL switch too? Let me know your thoughts. It's early here so I could just very well need a coffee :)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I was reviewing your thread for the homelink mirror, and I just watched the SHOPDAP vid with Paul.

Would having a boost gauge installed screw up this install as the boost gauge also pulls power from the HL switch too? Let me know your thoughts. It's early here so I could just very well need a coffee :)
I too have the boost gauge and it wasn't any drama/didn't interfere. The mirror comes with a cable that goes between the light switch and the the oe plug (where your boost gauge is spliced into)...just gets to be a lot of wires back in there is all!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
IS38 installed along with Unitronic's intercooler and charge pipe/hose set. Stage 2+ software flashed. Oh boy! Have already started logging/testing so will put those thoughts together in a few weeks. Initial impression is great - v. smooth and you lose that almost violent boost spike you get with the 20 as it takes a little longer to get the larger turbo spinning. More out on the top end past 5K as well. IC works great and is keeping the IAT-ambient down around 10 over the pull where I was seeing 30+ degrees with the stock unit. Stay tuned!
FB_IMG_1603218438136.jpg
FB_IMG_1603218500599.jpg
FB_IMG_1603218505745.jpg
FB_IMG_1603218509687.jpg
20201020_174342.jpg
20201021_092936.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
On the great IS20 vs. 38 debate. The 38 is the way to go if you are going through the trouble and can foot the extra cost. Here’s why. The around town/low end power concern that is propagated online "OH MY GOD THE LAG" is not an issue IMHO. It really feels about the same to me as the 20 but yes, there is a little extra time involved in getting the larger turbo spinning b/c physics. The top end is noticeably better. The 20 was almost rougher around town b/c it was always trying to ramp up too much. Nobody would drive my car and think “There a lot of lag.” – the 38 is still a somewhat small turbo. All that said, the 20 is the budget winner.

On the intercooler. Easy to see the temp difference is less with the aftermarket IC. Before would see up to ~30 deg difference between ambient and IAT by the end of the first pull, now only see ~10 and can go back-to-back without much drama. An IC is a worthwhile upgrade even on the 12 and 20 and is often overlooked.

These 2 show the story well - boost curves for a single third gear pull from 2K to redline for both the and 38 on the same graph. 38 comes up more slowly but lasts longer. Second one is for IAT-ambient for stock and Unitronic intercooler on the same graph, knocked the difference over the run in half basically is what I am seeing consistently with a few at just over 10 degrees.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
And then there was me left alone with my IS20.... :(

For back roads, the IS20 + 4motion is still great. I need to ride in a IS38 1.8.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
And then there was me left alone with my IS20.... :(

For back roads, the IS20 + 4motion is still great. I need to ride in a IS38 1.8.
You do. It's v. good.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
2 years yesterday I picked up my new GSW S 4Mo DSG for $20K OTD. ~49K miles. Tuned with Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU at ~3K miles, then Stage 2 IS20 ECU/TCU at ~20K miles, and now Stage 2+ IS38 at ~47K miles. Maintenance has been oil changes every 5-9K and a DSG/Haldex/brake fluid service at 40K. Plugs changed out 4 times. I can say now I have finally reached the mythical “FBO” status with a downpipe, intercooler, charge pipes, turbo inlet pipe, turbo muffler delete, and intake. Car runs great, sounds good (DP with resonator delete and open intake), and handles/brakes well (H&R Sport springs/H&R RSB/312mm brake upgrade). Only warranty work was the recirculate door motor in the HVAC replaced twice and a few service campaigns/recalls for the r. spring and shifter micro switch. I have noticed some minor coolant loss in the overflow tank over time and noted that my thermostat housing is/was leaking when I changed my oil before the IS38 went in. Had VW take a look, they pressure tested it and said no-go on repairing under warranty unless it’s actually leaking during the test so will continue to keep an eye on it. Plan on doing a few more things namely the UM Haldex tune and B8s. Love this thing and it continues to impress as the perfect daily with the ability to have some fun at the track or drags and still haul my bikes to the trail.

_23A3728.JPG
20201101_165655.jpg

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yes...definitely solid FBO status and looks awesome....great job on OEM+++! I'm throwing on the same shoes today so I'll be your little bro around town.