GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf GTD - Yet to be named

PravusJSB

Passed Driver's Ed
Good morning fellow Golf fans!

I picked up my Golf a month ago, and I though before I just write back and say, "I love this motherf$@king car", I'd live with it a bit and give people a more informed review.

So I'm at about 4,000 miles now, and (should you not be arsed to read on) my verdit is.. I love this mother... Well I like this car very much indeed. But I don't love it. It's a very good car, and a lot of car for the money compared to rivals. But I'm left wishing I went for the GTI.

So I'll try and breakdown some stuffs and give you my opinion;

The Cabin & Car

Fantastic. Attention to detail and the erganomics and pretty much everything about being inside the car is excellent from a drivers perspective. All the tech is to hand, and it all works as it should, like someone has thought about it! The only thing about the inside that does get me a bit is that finger marks are easily left and less than easily removed from the glossy plastic parts. Carbon paint looks fantastic sat next to my bosses black version. KESSY.. well it just works, apart from when it doesn't (see below). The boot system and all the cubby holes mean that my car & boot is free from clutter to the unsuspecting person.

The Driving

The ACC system is (althoguh not perfect) a god send for someone like me who munches up the miles. Althoguh the steering is a bit numb, its accurate and responsive. The cabin noise is low compared to other cars I've recently owned, and the standard media system (MIBII) is mostly brilliant. I've munched through 3 audio books so far off the memory car and the car always remembers where I am! The couple of things that grind my gears (pun intended) is how easy is goes into reverse, and when you're panicked and having gone into reverese at the lights how many times it takes to find 1st again! and also the crappy way the sat nav is set up for entering postcodes. I do wish there was more than 1 configurable driving mode also.

The Ride & Handling

I've spec'ed the DCC, and the difference between the settings is night and day only because I'm either in Comfort or Sport. I don't see a need for normal if I'm honest. In comfort the car is slightly more docile, and rides bumpy roads very well, whilst still being sporty when pushed. The sport is more focussed and even though it's stiffer, I would not go and say it's 'crashy'. However there is a little too much body roll in the front end for my liking, alot in Comfort and a bit less in Sport. I might invest in a front strut to fix that... The chassis is very capable and I've had this (with the aid of the XDS) going around corners at some silly speeds which should have resulted in death. I've only managed to get it to understeer in the dry once, and that was a full on 180deg corner.

The Engine

67mpg my arse.... I can barely break 55mpg if I keep it in ECO and let the ACC take control most of the way, but if I drive like a normal person I get 45-47mpg. If I'm not touching a motorway then 38-40mpg is more likely and a little less in Sport. If I leave it in Sport down the motorway and tram on then its never above 44mpg. The engine is very capable, and I'm glad for the mapping, it feels less like a torquesplosion than the VAG TD engines I've had in the past. It's linear and well delivered. Although I've been left lacking a touch more power recently and I wish I'd got a GTI instead.

The Options

DCC - Excellent, worth the money to whack it in Comfort and glide along when you're not racing about.
KESSY - It works, and now I don't want a car without it.
Carbon metallic - The BEST colour, IMO.
Leather Interior - It adds to the interior experience, and makes the car look a little more special, but it's not worth the asking price.
S & S Pack - LOVE it. Even when I'm in ECO engine mode I have the synthetic sound purring away. It just makes driving a deisel a bit more tollerable.

The Modifications

I've only put on some badge skins so far, I've changed some stuffs with VAGCOM and I've put on my ECS wheel spacer flush kit (not pictured)

The Issues

I've only had a few.... Since I got the car I could not work out why I was locked out of certain menus in the infotainment system. Some of the options would just say 'function not available'. I could see a 'missing messages' fault code with VAGCOM but when cleared it just came back and at 1200 miles there was a large bang (resulting electrical failure) in passenger door which took out some control & comms wires as well as the KESSY antenna. The car started doing some crazy assed shit and failing to respond to commands in the infotainment system, and of course the KESSY stopped working. FYI the error message to this effect that bings up on the dash every 5 minutes is not annoying at all.... Booked it in to VW Wakefield and they had it 4 days (originally no clue how to fix the infotainment part) but I got it back all sorted no issues. They were very patient and communicated everyday, I was very happy with their service.

Sorry I don't have a better picture yet, being a photographer I really should have sorted this out by now!

Last edited:

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Hey.
Car looks great.
Would love to see a pic of the flush kit (I'm tempted by this)
I get roughly the same mpg as you. I think that's about normal.
Mines been in and out the dealer 5 times. Thanks to Lincoln VW's ineptitude.
But (touch wood) is all good now at 9k miles.

PravusJSB

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll post something up for you soon.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Good morning fellow Golf fans!

I picked up my Golf a month ago, and I though before I just write back and say, "I love this motherf$@king car", I'd live with it a bit and give people a more informed review.

So I'm at about 4,000 miles now, and (should you not be arsed to read on) my verdit is.. I love this mother... Well I like this car very much indeed. But I don't love it. It's a very good car, and a lot of car for the money compared to rivals. But I'm left wishing I went for the GTI.

So I'll try and breakdown some stuffs and give you my opinion;

The Cabin & Car

Fantastic. Attention to detail and the erganomics and pretty much everything about being inside the car is excellent from a drivers perspective. All the tech is to hand, and it all works as it should, like someone has thought about it! The only thing about the inside that does get me a bit is that finger marks are easily left and less than easily removed from the glossy plastic parts. Carbon paint looks fantastic sat next to my bosses black version. KESSY.. well it just works, apart from when it doesn't (see below). The boot system and all the cubby holes mean that my car & boot is free from clutter to the unsuspecting person.

The Driving

The ACC system is (althoguh not perfect) a god send for someone like me who munches up the miles. Althoguh the steering is a bit numb, its accurate and responsive. The cabin noise is low compared to other cars I've recently owned, and the standard media system (MIBII) is mostly brilliant. I've munched through 3 audio books so far off the memory car and the car always remembers where I am! The couple of things that grind my gears (pun intended) is how easy is goes into reverse, and when you're panicked and having gone into reverese at the lights how many times it takes to find 1st again! and also the crappy way the sat nav is set up for entering postcodes. I do wish there was more than 1 configurable driving mode also.

The Ride & Handling

I've spec'ed the DCC, and the difference between the settings is night and day only because I'm either in Comfort or Sport. I don't see a need for normal if I'm honest. In comfort the car is slightly more docile, and rides bumpy roads very well, whilst still being sporty when pushed. The sport is more focussed and even though it's stiffer, I would not go and say it's 'crashy'. However there is a little too much body roll in the front end for my liking, alot in Comfort and a bit less in Sport. I might invest in a front strut to fix that... The chassis is very capable and I've had this (with the aid of the XDS) going around corners at some silly speeds which should have resulted in death. I've only managed to get it to understeer in the dry once, and that was a full on 180deg corner.

The Engine

67mpg my arse.... I can barely break 55mpg if I keep it in ECO and let the ACC take control most of the way, but if I drive like a normal person I get 45-47mpg. If I'm not touching a motorway then 38-40mpg is more likely and a little less in Sport. If I leave it in Sport down the motorway and tram on then its never above 44mpg. The engine is very capable, and I'm glad for the mapping, it feels less like a torquesplosion than the VAG TD engines I've had in the past. It's linear and well delivered. Although I've been left lacking a touch more power recently and I wish I'd got a GTI instead.

The Options

DCC - Excellent, worth the money to whack it in Comfort and glide along when you're not racing about.
KESSY - It works, and now I don't want a car without it.
Carbon metallic - The BEST colour, IMO.
Leather Interior - It adds to the interior experience, and makes the car look a little more special, but it's not worth the asking price.
S & S Pack - LOVE it. Even when I'm in ECO engine mode I have the synthetic sound purring away. It just makes driving a deisel a bit more tollerable.

The Modifications

I've only put on some badge skins so far, I've changed some stuffs with VAGCOM and I've put on my ECS wheel spacer flush kit (not pictured)

The Issues

I've only had a few.... Since I got the car I could not work out why I was locked out of certain menus in the infotainment system. Some of the options would just say 'function not available'. I could see a 'missing messages' fault code with VAGCOM but when cleared it just came back and at 1200 miles there was a large bang (resulting electrical failure) in passenger door which took out some control & comms wires as well as the KESSY antenna. The car started doing some crazy assed shit and failing to respond to commands in the infotainment system, and of course the KESSY stopped working. FYI the error message to this effect that bings up on the dash every 5 minutes is not annoying at all.... Booked it in to VW Wakefield and they had it 4 days (originally no clue how to fix the infotainment part) but I got it back all sorted no issues. They were very patient and communicated everyday, I was very happy with their service.

Sorry I don't have a better picture yet, being a photographer I really should have sorted this out by now!

Ive had mine about a week now, though I had an older 64 plate one previously.

Sorry to hear youve had some problems with yours.....you are not alone but mine are trivial in comparison.

They fitted the wrong passenger vent trim at the factory, also I have noticed that some of the wiring coming into the tailgate from the roof has bunched up slightly in the top of the tailgate causing the plastic trim to bulge slightly. Again minor but the lump is noticeable when looking out of the rear view mirror....everything works at least. Working with VW UK to get those issues addressed...fairly laid back about it though as its a company car and otherwise perfect.

Regarding MPG, they are not brilliant when new but my 25k mile example could return mid to high 50's quite readily on a longer mixed run. Tooling it around rarely saw less than 45mpg. For a 184hp car thats more than acceptable. A GTI driven with intent would be in the high 20's by comparison; nothing like as forgiving on a heavy right foot as a GTD. I am seeing about 44mpg long term on the new one and its only done 450 miles.....Ive not exactly been babying it either.

Its an ace car, the nav, winter pack and keyless make a great car just that bit greater.....I too went carbon grey and I just love how it looks black alot of the time but goes a lovely shade of gunmetal under sunlight. Seems to not show dirt too badly either which is a boon as the old one was pearl black and permanently dirty.

Im glad I went for it and really like it......more so due to my company for austerity reasons having just changed our lease terms from 3 to 4 years and the GTD having been removed from my free choice list (now an expensive monthly cost upgrade)......funny as Ive never been faced with keeping a company car to well in excess of 100k miles but there are much worse cars I could be doing it in!!

PravusJSB

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea I've also got it for 4 years with no mileage cap! But as you say, there are worse cars.

At the weekend I put my DTUK CRDT+ box on (to 3+2), changed the XDS to strong and altered the ESC modes to ON/SPORT/OFF.

WOW! What a difference the diff change makes, and the DTUK box, bloody hell it shifts now. The car feels so much more pointy, turn in is greatly improved and it holds the line much better. And I have no doubt about the power gain from the box, I raced one of the lower spec Impreza's at the weekend (220bhp ones?) and I leathered it.

Feels like a different car!

PravusJSB

Passed Driver's Ed
Heres a quick iPhone shot of the flush kit;

daryl8007

Passed Driver's Ed
Car looks great. Love the color. Get it lowered now makes a really nice difference. They are great with a remap, I've never looked back since mine was done.

s7wag

Ready to race!
I measured my GTD for the flush-kit and gap to wing on the front looked too tight to take the 15mm spacer. Wondered if anyone has GTD with OEM 19" wheels with ECS flush kit fitted and no issues?

PravusJSB

Passed Driver's Ed
Your car looks great daryl

mon2s

Ready to race!
Hi Pravus - I hope you are as happy with your gtd as I have been with mine. Like you, I came from a fault ridden A Class - in fact I had two before MB gave up and gave me my money back.

MB could learn a lot from VW on how to put a quality hatchback together!