GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8t Auto trans fluid

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
My 1.8T slushbox golf just ticked over 50k on the odometer. I'm APR IS20 tuned and have been preforming ~7.5K oil changes. The service manual calls for transmission fluid change @ 50K and wanted to confirm that this video has the correct process for my cars as well. I have an auto and know this video is for MT's I've tried to find DIY's specifically for 1.8t’s but generally only see posts about DSG services.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Autos are kinda tricky. The way we do it is drain it, catch the amount we removed, and refill that amount. Otherwise you can drain it and refill it but you'll need VAGCOM to do a fluid level check. Also you need a special tool to refill. ECS sells it but you need air to use it. It's probably easier to just get it done at a shop. I think our cost is $150, the cost of the tool plus fluid will probably be the same.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What year? I've got a 2017 with a 09G and the recommended interval is 80k. Though being tuned I'm sure it can't hurt to change it early.

PRKXPAT

Car(s)
2015 Golf MKVII TSI
my 2015 has 123K on it and getting ready to do the IS20 swap and stage 2 (purchased the Turbo tonight!) I cannot accept that the trans cannot be flushed. I'm considering pulling the cooler off and pumping the fluid out at idle. How crazy is this? I've done this dozens of times to Asian and American cars. This is my first VW BTW.
Has anyone used the Valvoline ATF Maxlife full Syn?

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
What year? I've got a 2017 with a 09G and the recommended interval is 80k. Though being tuned I'm sure it can't hurt to change it early.
Mine is a 17 as well. I bought used so it didn't come with a service manual so i was going off the some I found on the googles. 80k sounds nicer than 50k but i'd rather have the piece of mind

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
Autos are kinda tricky. The way we do it is drain it, catch the amount we removed, and refill that amount. Otherwise you can drain it and refill it but you'll need VAGCOM to do a fluid level check. Also you need a special tool to refill. ECS sells it but you need air to use it. It's probably easier to just get it done at a shop. I think our cost is $150, the cost of the tool plus fluid will probably be the same.
That's good to know. That's sorta the method I was planning on using to use but I wasn't sure how exact it needed to be. I'll call around and get some quotes, I am an engineer so I prefer to do the easier jobs myself

gdub09

Ready to race!
That's good to know. That's sorta the method I was planning on using to use but I wasn't sure how exact it needed to be. I'll call around and get some quotes, I am an engineer so I prefer to do the easier jobs myself
I mean if you want to do it yourself, just buy the ECS kit and fluid from VW and have access to an air compressor. I know the method you're saying by using the cooler but I've never seen it done that way on a VW. When I worked at Nissan thats how we did it. I mean trying to figure out a way to fill the system seems like more work on something you only have to do every 80k miles and only costs $150ish. Also unsure on if Maxlife meets VW requirements. It shows 2 numbers but I'm unsure what they refer to. It might, I'm not sure, I'd just double check.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'm a pretty strict adherent to DIY maintenance but even I balked at the cost of buying the specific gravity fill tool and decided to take it to a indy shop with a VW/BMW racing background. They threw redline D4 ATF into the trans and I really can't say I really noticed a positive or negative change in the behavior of the gearbox since. But hey, as long is the slushbox keeps holding itself together considering the power I'm throwing through it I'll stay a happy camper.