GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.5 TSI Evo engine problems

anrw

I am surprised to see no posts here about the problems of hesitation on take off with the 150ps version of the new 1.5 TSI engine when mated to a manual gearbox. There is plenty of chat amongst the Skoda forums and amongst T-Roc owners but little here.
My car (Golf GT) has had, from new, a hesitation / hiccup when taking up the drive is first gear once the clutch is released - like a misfire where it momentarily loses power and then takes it up again. In the old days you would call it a flat spot. My dealer now tells me that no fix exists yet but VW are aware of the problem. The reports elsewhere suggest that VW have been in denial of the issue but an article yesterday on the HonestJohn website https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ow...si-evo-engine/
announces that VW are acknowledging the issue.
Some Skoda owners (in Kodiaq guise) talk of Kangaroo hops - my experience is only a single moment of hesitation when you take up the drive, but hot or cold and every time you restart making heavy traffic driving very uncomfortable. DSG cars are said not to be affected and I've read no reports of this issue with the 130ps version of this engine.
Am I the only Golf owner with this issue - I suspect not? We probably need some chat about it to shake the VAG tree a bit more vigorously?
Regards

Last edited:

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
I would think that the majority of people on the forum are from the US so we don't have that model car is the reason?

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

golfhappy

Ready to race!
Hi i own a 1.5tsi r line and do have this problem, but i also have a DTUK pedal box fitted and didn't really know i had the problem until someone pointed it out that they have a problem with the so called kangarooing! until i switched the pedal box off, could be throttle positioner related?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I would think that the majority of people on the forum are from the US so we don't have that model car is the reason?

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Mainly forum visitors from US….. Could be :). Many writers don't say where they live. At least I can't figure it out from 2-3 letters in "Location".

@arnw

Since I also own a Seat Leon Cupra I am often on the UK seatcupra.net forum (a forum not just for Cupra, also for other models). I have seen treads about this matter. As we all from Europe know a Seat is 90 % based on VW parts, as Audi and Skoda to are.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/maybe-an-end-in-sight-for-kangaroo-jerking.457230/
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/1-5-tsi-reliability.453855/
/Peter

Last edited:

cri1410sti

Car(s)
karoq
I am surprised to see no posts here about the problems of hesitation on take off with the 150ps version of the new 1.5 TSI engine when mated to a manual gearbox. There is plenty of chat amongst the Skoda forums and amongst T-Roc owners but little here.
My car (Golf GT) has had, from new, a hesitation / hiccup when taking up the drive is first gear once the clutch is released - like a misfire where it momentarily loses power and then takes it up again. In the old days you would call it a flat spot. My dealer now tells me that no fix exists yet but VW are aware of the problem. The reports elsewhere suggest that VW have been in denial of the issue but an article yesterday on the HonestJohn website https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ow...si-evo-engine/
announces that VW are acknowledging the issue.
Some Skoda owners (in Kodiaq guise) talk of Kangaroo hops - my experience is only a single moment of hesitation when you take up the drive, but hot or cold and every time you restart making heavy traffic driving very uncomfortable. DSG cars are said not to be affected and I've read no reports of this issue with the 130ps version of this engine.
Am I the only Golf owner with this issue - I suspect not? We probably need some chat about it to shake the VAG tree a bit more vigorously?
Regards

Kangaroo is solved more than 50% with the official update to the ECU, the new versions are: 98xx for DADA or 19xx for DPCA.

You can read below how the catalyst preheating works (lean mixture and advance delay).

Only with custom remap can you completely get rid of the kangaroo, although I still hope that VW will release newer software versions that will improve the way to drive the car.
1713959028442.png

cri1410sti

Car(s)
karoq
Kangaroo is solved more than 50% with the official update to the ECU, the new versions are: 98xx for DADA or 19xx for DPCA.

You can read below how the catalyst preheating works (lean mixture and advance delay).

Only with custom remap can you completely get rid of the kangaroo, although I still hope that VW will release newer software versions that will improve the way to drive the car.
View attachment 303746

See Lambda and advance in the below pictures corelated with the catalyst temperature.
So it can be fixed by software but the catalyst and the engine will reach to the right temperature 1 minute later than "normal".
VW will never fix that because they want the car to produce less CO2, opposite to driveability.

1.-engine just started

1713959755775.png

2.-catalyst at 200c

1713959780239.png

3.-catalyst just reached to operating temp >375c

1713959800422.png

4. -And below is ~normal operation, after the catalyst heated to >375c..
from here (after 60-70 seconds from engine cold start, and the idle is below 800 rpm) the kangaroo should be gone or minimum
:)

1713959820161.png