GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
2 cents: I wouldn't cancel an order. The pandemic sucks. Lots of people have suffered seriously. Businesses also have been quite adversely affected. Waiting a few more weeks beyond the present, on reasonable grounds, seems like the small stuff to me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
2 cents: I wouldn't cancel an order. The pandemic sucks. Lots of people have suffered seriously. Businesses also have been quite adversely affected. Waiting a few more weeks beyond the present, on reasonable grounds, seems like the small stuff to me.
I agree and it's not worth losing his deposit.

Johaan

Ready to race!
Got to be frustrating for them too, I mean the ship is right there! Hard to sell product when you can’t get it.

Someone call the A-team to liberate the wheels.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
It is greatly appreciated that APEX offers shipping options (which we can specifiy shipping date) going into July/Aug as ppl have plans for vacays, etc.
Definitely not cancelling mine.

Hope APEX honors that.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Decided to cancel mine. Missing enough of the season already, might as well wait for a nice forged option for next year. They get to keep my $200 and I'm sure they'll sell the wheels to someone.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Decided to cancel mine. Missing enough of the season already, might as well wait for a nice forged option for next year. They get to keep my $200 and I'm sure they'll sell the wheels to someone.
That seems illogical to me. If you want to get other wheels, just get them. Then when the Apex wheels arrive, sell them for the group buy price (which is less than what is currently listed on their site) and you can recoup 100% of your cost.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT

Which wheel were you waiting on?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

Got to be frustrating for them too, I mean the ship is right there! Hard to sell product when you can’t get it.

Someone call the A-team to liberate the wheels.

Let's go. Will meet you at the airport.

We appreciate the patience and understanding, guys! These wheels have been a long time coming and it has definitely been tough to deal with these delays at the very last part of the journey. I 100% support you guys figuring out a way to snatch those containers off the ship!

It is greatly appreciated that APEX offers shipping options (which we can specifiy shipping date) going into July/Aug as ppl have plans for vacays, etc.
Definitely not cancelling mine.

Hope APEX honors that.

We will absolutely honor any shipping hold requests for those who won't be home when the wheels start to ship out. As I have told others, if you would like me to hold your order till a certain date, please send me an email or PM at the time that I update everyone that the wheels have arrived at the warehouse. That way, you guys will have a better idea as to what the shipping window will look like and I will also be able to stay a bit more organized on my end as we start to collect payment and release orders.

-Geirsen

scrllock

Autocross Champion
That seems illogical to me. If you want to get other wheels, just get them. Then when the Apex wheels arrive, sell them for the group buy price (which is less than what is currently listed on their site) and you can recoup 100% of your cost.
Apex isn't selling a forged option for Mk7 yet. The other options that meet my requirements on the market are more expensive. Eating the deposit is better than dealing with shipping and/or the headache of dealing with FB marketplace hagglers.
Which wheel were you waiting on?
18x9 SM-10.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Apex isn't selling a forged option for Mk7 yet. The other options that meet my requirements on the market are more expensive. Eating the deposit is better than dealing with shipping and/or the headache of dealing with FB marketplace hagglers.

18x9 SM-10.

What about the Titan7 options? I think they're around $2100 for a set, and I can't imagine an Apex forged option being less than that considering their cast wheels themselves are on the high end. ($350+/wheel).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
What about the Titan7 options? I think they're around $2100 for a set, and I can't imagine an Apex forged option being less than that considering their cast wheels themselves are on the high end. ($350+/wheel).
18x9 with a 5x112 bolt pattern and the proper offset is pretty hard to find, particularly in a decent weight with the proper barrel clearance. Apex would likely be pricier than Titan-7 (who does not make an 18x9 fitment) but nowhere near the cost of Advan GTs or Volk TE37s. (or something fully custom like bc-forged).

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

Hey now, this is an APEX thread!

In all seriousness, our forged wheels will be priced competitively for what they offer compared to the competition. However, a lot of wheel companies are starting to increase MSRP on their products as shipping rates and raw material costs have been skyrocketing over the last 6 months. Much like our flow formed (not cast, there is a significant difference) SM-10s, our forged VW wheels will offer a lot of features that are not available with the current aftermarket offerings. The most important to note is the fact that we will have 17" forged wheels that can clear a lot of BBKs that the competition requires 18" fitments to clear. Plus, we will have wider 9" options which will be significantly more ideal for dedicated track use.

-Geirsen

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Hey guys,

Alongside our new VW forged wheel project, we are also looking at some options for Winter wheels as it seems a lot of VW owners tend to run their cars year-round. I am currently building out a survey to gauge the community's interest as to which direction we should go for a dedicated VW winter wheel. However, I wanted to run through some ideas to get some detailed input before going live with the survey.

Option #1:

We offer a dedicated Winter Group Buy in early Fall of this year with the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 with options for both Michelin Pilot AS4 All-seasons and Michelin Alpin PA4 Winter Performance tires. The Group Buy discount tiers will likely be the same as the last GB ($250 off plus free mounting/balancing and shipping) and we would likely start shipping orders out by mid/late October. With the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 pricing and the max GB discount, this would mean a set of wheels would cost $1,046 before tires.

Option #2:

We offer a "Winter Spec" version of our current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 without Spoke Scalloping and Knurled beading, which will likely reduce the cost by around $50 per wheel. The weight would be slightly increased due to the removal of the Spoke Scalloping but the idea is that it would be a fair trade-off for an overall reduced cost. Plus, considering these are Winter wheels, the slight increase in weight wouldn't make all that big of a difference for their application. Just like option #1, we would offer a Group Buy in early Fall with the same discount tiers and winter/all-season tire options. However, with the max discount, the "winter spec" SM-10 would cost around $850 before tires.

Another thing to note is if we went with option #1 that might open the door for an all-new rally-inspired wheel design with an emphasis on strength, that we could offer in Winter fitments. This would likely not be available until the following year, however.

I am personally leaning towards option #1, as I feel most enthusiasts would be fine paying the extra $50 per wheel for spoke scalloping and knurled beading but I could be completely wrong. Hence why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

Let me know what ya'll think!

-Geirsen

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

I am aware of what Apex offers. My statement didn't say "Get Apex forged wheels". I said get the wheels you want (whatever manufacturer that may be). Just seems like throwing $200 away is silly, when you could most likely immediately sell them for at or close to what you paid and not take that same $200 loss.