► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I second that.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Third to that. With most SCCA Nationals and some of the other national tours cancelled, if these were realistically able to be on my doorstep by next spring I'd be pretty happy

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
I'm exactly the opposite. Wouldn't touch an ARC-8 with your VW. Please offer a few choices.

Was part of the E46 M3 crowd and just really tired of that wheel. Nice to see something different. Plus the scalloping on the spokes of the SM 10 just does it for me (and I realize we won't have any of this concavity, but Mein Got, Kermit's Beetle is hawt):

I like the ARC-8’s, but like the EC-7’s better. The SM-10’s have grown on me and didn’t think they were an option for the MQB platform. The SM-10’s and EC-7’s have better barrel clearance as they are a newer design than the ARC-8’s.

Looking for something strong for the track that will clear my BBK.

For our initial release for the MK7 chassis, we have already finalized our design offerings. For our flow-formed wheels, we will be offering a VW-specific variant of the SM-10, and for our forged wheels, we will be offering a VW-specific variant of the EC-7R.

The SM-10 made the most sense for a VW application for a couple of reasons. While the SM-10 was one of the most popular design choices in our VW survey, it was also the most ideal way for us to go given the sizes and offsets we wanted to pursue for the MK7 chassis. While the ARC-8 was a close runner-up in popularity based on our survey results, that wheel would have only been available in a flat non-concave (profile 1) wheel face, which makes the design a bit less impressive compared to the SM-10 in the same profile 1 configuration. Additionally, our current ARC-8 barrel has less clearance than that of the SM-10, which would not have allowed us to clear the aftermarket BBKs that we are able to clear with our 17" and 18" SM-10 VW wheels.

With the SM-10, we are also able to offer I-beam spokes to help keep things as light as possible without reducing strength, a beefier lip to better hold up to regular track abuse, and knurled beading to avoid unnecessary tire rotation.

The forged EC-7R will also have these features, as well as a significantly higher load rating compared to our flow-formed wheels, and options for our premium finishes, too.

Third to that. With most SCCA Nationals and some of the other national tours cancelled, if these were realistically able to be on my doorstep by next spring I'd be pretty happy

While we haven't quite gotten to the point where we can specify a release date for these wheels, I can assure you that we are aiming to have these available by early next year. This will provide plenty of time for us to offer a Group Buy and to have wheels start shipping out by the end of Winter/early Spring.

-Geirsen

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So SM-10 vs. EC-7R for track duty. Looks and aesthetics aside. Give us the run down on the features and benefits of each wheel if I was to choose between the two wheels for purely track use.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
For our initial release for the MK7 chassis, we have already finalized our design offerings. For our flow-formed wheels, we will be offering a VW-specific variant of the SM-10, and for our forged wheels, we will be offering a VW-specific variant of the EC-7R.
With design offerings finalized, is there a timetable as to when you guys might receive first articles and then confirm sizing options, weights, and pricing? Thanks!

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
So SM-10 vs. EC-7R for track duty. Looks and aesthetics aside. Give us the run down on the features and benefits of each wheel if I was to choose between the two wheels for purely track use.

From a manufacturing perspective, forging will always result in a superior wheel compared to flow forming. Simply put, forging allows us to use stronger materials and advanced manufacturing techniques to create a stronger wheel. With the additional strength we get from forging, we can significantly increase the load rating of a wheel while maintaining similar weights compared to a flow formed equivalent. For our VW EC-7R wheels, this is the route we decided to go with. For those wanting additional strength and endurance from their wheels, the forged EC-7R is going to be the better option compared to the flow formed SM-10s.

Alternatively, with forging you can also go in the opposite direction. With the increased strength we get from forging, we can also remove material from the wheel to make it significantly lighter while maintaining the same load rating as an equivalent flow formed wheel. Depending on the demand for forged wheels in the VW market, this could be a future project that we potentially might consider pursuing.

With that being said, if weight is your number one concern, the flow formed SM-10 might be the better choice between the two considering we will be offering that wheel in 17" sizes. Whereas the forged EC-7R will only be available in 18" sizes at launch.

With design offerings finalized, is there a timetable as to when you guys might receive first articles and then confirm sizing options, weights, and pricing? Thanks!

While we do have estimated weights for our 17" and 18" SM-10 wheels, we would prefer to hold off from publically sharing them until we can officially weigh the sample wheels once they arrive. However, I can assure you that the weights are going to be VERY competitive compared to what's currently available for the MK7 chassis. Pricing will also be announced around the same time. :cool:

-Geirsen

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
With track duty in mind, strength and robustness is what I am looking for. Ive run two HPDE’s after professional events at VIR, with large ruts and holes dug up in front of the curbs. Misjudge your apex a fraction and you are bending a wheel. Professional drivers....half on the track, half off it.Lol

I‘ve opted for 17” track wheel route, so SM-10‘s it is. That was an easy decision.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
With track duty in mind, strength and robustness is what I am looking for. Ive run two HPDE’s after professional events at VIR, with large ruts and holes dug up in front of the curbs. Misjudge your apex a fraction and you are bending a wheel. Professional drivers....half on the track, half off it.Lol

I‘ve opted for 17” track wheel route, so SM-10‘s it is. That was an easy decision.

On that topic, I also want to note that both our forged and flow formed wheels will be covered by our APEX 360 50% replacement program for 2 years following the original purchase date. For those not familiar with the program, that means that any wheel damage (that isn't covered by our structural warranty) caused by going off track, hitting a pothole, or even brushing up a curb will be eligible for a new wheel replacement for 50% off retail pricing.

-Geirsen

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I just want 17x8 for daily. Hopefully there's a market for it so you guys will produce it.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
On that topic, I also want to note that both our forged and flow formed wheels will be covered by our APEX 360 50% replacement program for 2 years following the original purchase date. For those not familiar with the program, that means that any wheel damage (that isn't covered by our structural warranty) caused by going off track, hitting a pothole, or even brushing up a curb will be eligible for a new wheel replacement for 50% off retail pricing.

-Geirsen

Let me know if you guys need my car again for fit checks ;)

Will actually have a garage to work in this time too (and hopefully a lift soon after).

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Update time!

We have officially finalized the design of our VW flow formed SM-10 wheels! At this time, we are looking for a MK7 GTI or Golf R to use for our flow formed SM-10 renderings. We are specifically looking for a car that is sitting on 17" or 18" wheels to render both the new 17" and 18" VW-specific SM-10's. These renderings will give you guys a sneak-peek of how the new wheels will look before we are able to get our hands on some sample units for a real-world photoshoot.

For anyone local to us in the Bay Area that is willing to volunteer their car, we can arrange for a quick photoshoot at our office to get the content required for the renderings. However, for anyone who isn't local to us, if you have a knack for photography and access to a decent camera (no phones please!) any pictures you would be able to take of your car would be greatly appreciated! We would be looking for a few side shots, as well as some other exterior shots from various angles.

If you are interested and willing to volunteer your car and/or eye for photography, please PM us on here or email me directly at Geirsen@apexraceparts.com

-Geirsen

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Any updates on the design status of the EC-7R's? Or the weight of the 17" SM-10's?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
I sent you an email. Not sure if you care to photograph a wagon but that's all I have lol.

Thank you for the email! At this time, we already have a wagon lined up but I will be sure to reach out if we need another for future photoshoots and fitment tests.

Any updates on the design status of the EC-7R's? Or the weight of the 17" SM-10's?

At this time, the EC-7R forged VW wheels are a bit behind in the development phase compared to the flow formed wheels. Due to this, we will more than likely be doing a staggered release with the flow formed SM-10s arriving first, and the forged EC-7Rs arriving a couple of months later. We are aiming to have both wheels available well before next year's track season starts to kick-off.

As I mentioned in my previous update, while we do have our estimated weights available for the flow formed SM-10s, we are going to hold off on publically releasing them until the first sample wheels arrive. That way, we can get accurate real-world measurements to ensure there are no discrepancies in weight.

-Geirsen