GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. B

Are there any plug and play amp upgrades?

Thanks for the tips, and yeah it makes sense that I'd need a power cable. I feel the Helix system does sound power-limited above low volumes. Do you think the D-5 would be effective for powering the Helix sub, or do I need to buy another sub for this? It's a weird subwoofer, I wonder if...
  2. B

Are there any plug and play amp upgrades?

I'm thinking of buying something like the AudioControl LC-5.1300 to replace the Helix. Seems like an elegant way to get LC2i, amp, DSP functionality all in one. I'd even just use the existing Helix harness and power, just add my own adapter to the end. My reason for doing this is that the car...
  3. B

Base mk7.5 system with JL C1 650 and JBL GTO 629

This doesn’t happen over Bluetooth though. I guess the CarPlay audio in is just fucked in this car. Now that I have a bit more clarity I can hear it.
  4. B

Hmm. So I finished installing front speakers, and I’ve realized that I now get staticky distortion in the tweeters whenever bass hits. It seems to get worse as I increase the volume but I’d say it’s noticeable even at 30% volume, default EQ. It’s also present in the rear speakers I haven’t...
  5. B

I remember reading somewhere that the helix wiring harness might not be connected to enough power for a real amp. Maybe a smaller amp can get away with it though? And yeah, I'm not convinced the helix sub is adding much to the mix other than indistinct booming noises lol. My recollection is...
  6. B

Just got around to starting this, so far I've done the front passenger side with speakers and soundskins. TBD with some more critical listening but I'd rank the different upgrades as follows: Tweeter replacement >> soundskins > helix = door woofer. All worth doing though. The tweeter...
  7. B

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

Has anyone considered buying the PP62DSP that the helix amp is based on? I wonder if this would let you bypass the annoying sub-bass filtering the helix has. I guess it'd depend on if the filtering is done in the helix or the head unit. I'm still due to upgrade my car speakers. The...
  8. B

^ Honestly I agree, once I got used to the balance I felt the system has a lot of clarity. The main issue for me is that the sound quality falls apart at high speeds. I think wind or vibration is getting into the speaker cavity and messing it up... But I guess I'm used to BMWs and nicer cars...
  9. B

One thing I've noticed is that with carplay, it sounds a lot better if I turn down all the EQ settings almost all the way. I think the carplay signal is too high and somehow turning down the EQ reduces distortion. Really noticeable on treble-y songs like Lana Del Rey for instance.
  10. B

I notice this subsonic filter all the time, so annoying. It sounds like you've confirmed that the filter is in the Helix and not the head unit, which is awesome. Were you able to use the helix power supply for the new amp, or did you have to run more power from the battery?
  11. B

How do ya'll think the car would sound if I only upgraded the front woofers, maybe the rears as well? The tweeters sound decent to me already and seem to be a difficult replacement, so I'm not sure if the effort would be worth it. My car currently has the base audio with added Helix Subwoofer...
  12. B

Has anyone else noticed how the woofers become increasingly distorted after the car goes above 40 mph or so? The sound just breaks up and there's more harmonic distortion, I guess maybe because the wind is getting in the door or the speaker is just getting vibrated. I'm not even sure how to go...
  13. B

I was thinking about this too! I genuinely think the radio sounds better than CarPlay audio, playing the same song through both. I suspect the CarPlay source is too loud and is hitting some noise ceiling. I think the woofers and tweeters are equally problematic. If you listen to a song with...
  14. B

Just got mine programmed! I think it helped blend the speakers and added some soundstage. The problems I mentioned earlier are still there though. Overall my ranking is stock system - 3/10 unprogrammed helix - 5/10 programmed helix - 6/10 Seems like the next upgrade would be getting better...
  15. B

I dug around and found another person in Boston with one! I'll ask for permission before posting his username - I imagine this thread gets a lot of traffic and he might not want the spam. But if you're also in Boston feel free to message me. If that hadn't worked out I'd probably be calling...
  16. B

I ended up doing it by chopping up some credit cards into the right shape. This was a huge pain and I'd recommend buying the keys for anyone else with a mk7.5 I agree with some earlier poster who described the stock system as a 3/10 and the unprogrammed helix as a 6/10. It still totally...
  17. B

This is super helpful. How doable is the install without the radio keys? I'm starting to think I should have picked those up.