GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I mean I ran it on with the impact, they're not HUGE triple squares so I'm inclined to think that they're about as seated as they're gonna be. I'll do the driver's side tonight and if it behaves differently, then I'll pull everything apart on the passengers' side and investigate further. But everything looks good, and I believe I saw threadlocker on the threads of the wheel bearing so that's reassuring as well. But I figure if the impact can't turn them further, then they're probably safe.

Just gotta torque the lower ball joint nuts, the upper strut mount bolts, and the axle nut.

5 ugga duggas and some red loctite works too. Torque specs are for nerds and weenies.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
How do you get the 90lbft wheel spec? Just use adapters for whatever the wheel bearing socket is and use the big bar.
Mark the bearing with a marker, and then just hammer down. You're a big guy, you can do it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Of course not, but they aren't making minimum wage now. If this idiotic idea would get passed, then the mechanics would most likely be looking for $250k a year (because the burger flippers are making $104k a year) and where does it leave the average retiree that is making $1300 a month on social security?

Oh, and the CEO will get far more now since they've replaced all the employees with machines in order to sell whatever they sell at a price that the people who have jobs can afford.
Companies will always replace as many humans as possibly with machines regardless of wages.

And no, mechanics wouldn't make $250,000. That's absurd. That's like claiming EMT's make $50 hr now, because fast food workers make $15 hr. News flash, they both make $15 hr. Consumers decide what they're winning pay for services. The pay of others doesn't impact others in different sectors. Banking IT folks make double what health care IT people make. Every industry has its own economic pressures. Australia has one of the highest minimum wages in the world and, other than the pandemic, haven't had a recession in 40 years. It's almost like tax funded education and healthcare, along with a living minimum wage creates a stable economy that works for the entire country. 🤷‍♂️

SS takes 1 min to solve. Increase the cap. Done, fixed. Why should someone making $100k and under have to pay SS tax on their full income and those making over $100k not pay anything on income over $100k? That's insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAP

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is making more than 50/hr a crime?

Asking for a felon friend
No, but there's no rational justification for CEO and executive pay to be so high in the US. The company's aren't performing better than their Asian and European counterparts, or US companies that have lower compensation. In fact, multiple studies have shown that companies with highest executive compensations perform worse. 🤷‍♂️

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
While I'd normally agree, torque specs on stuff that goes fast makes a ton of sense in my book, particularly when it's safety related. I don't want a wheel coming off
I torque wheels to 100 lbs. That is unless the shop hits it with their impact first.

I had to replace 3 sets of lugs in 5 years due to various shops. Once someone hits a lug bolt with 400lbs, I'm not using it again. And who knows what it did to the poor hubs.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
holy shit I have no idea how people get that +90° on wheel bearing hardware, I got the 50 ft-lbs and then it wouldn't budge any further, so I hit it with the impact and well hopefully it's fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't watch a ton of movies but just don't have it in me for serious flicks anymore, though Shawshank is absolutely top tier. Going off of the beaten path a bit, I loved the Bob's Burgers movie, and for it's time the Simpsons movie as well. Idiocracy is fun, and I really enjoyed the Knives Out/Glass Onion stuff. Also, No Time To Die was fantastic, I'm a big fan of Daniel Craig 007. Evil Dead, Office Space, and End of Watch were also all good. Hard to make an ordered list, but I think those would be near the top.
4 foot breaker bar with your jack handle on the end for a cheater will do it
Banking IT folks make triple what health care IT people make.
Fixed. Msn spam link source incoming

cb1111

Companies will always replace as many humans as possibly with machines regardless of wages.

And no, mechanics wouldn't make $250,000. That's absurd. That's like claiming EMT's make $50 hr now, because fast food workers make $15 hr. News flash, they both make $15 hr. Consumers decide what they're winning pay for services. The pay of others doesn't impact others in different sectors. Banking IT folks make double what health care IT people make. Every industry has its own economic pressures. Australia has one of the highest minimum wages in the world and, other than the pandemic, haven't had a recession in 40 years. It's almost like tax funded education and healthcare, along with a living minimum wage creates a stable economy that works for the entire country. 🤷‍♂️

SS takes 1 min to solve. Increase the cap. Done, fixed. Why should someone making $100k and under have to pay SS tax on their full income and those making over $100k not pay anything on income over $100k? That's insane.
Actually, the social security cap has been well over $100k for at least ten years Benefits Planner | Social Security Tax Limits on Your Earnings | SSA , but yes, having that cap is foolish but removing it won't fix the fact that those with social security as their primary income in retirement would be on the street if the minimum wage goes up to $50.

And yes, who will study and work their ass off to be a mechanic if they are making the same wage as the burger flipper? If they are making double or triple what the burger flipper makes, then they'll want that after the minimum wage is raised.

Australia's minimum wage is AUD23 and change The national minimum wage | Fair Work Commission (fwc.gov.au) which works out to about US$15. The tax rate there is quite a bit higher too

1710942808066.png

The bottom line is that if the minimum wage goes up, then the cost of goods increases as well. Where do you think the Big Mac Index would be with a $50 minimum wage. Working time required to buy a Big Mac in cities worldwide 2018 | Statista

As you correctly noted, the minimum wage has nothing to do with the income of a CEO - but European CEOs also get exorbitant compensation. I know a Deutsche Bank exec who took early retirement at 800k Euros a year - but with a $50 minimum wage, that would be like $100k a year once the new cost of living is calculated.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Actually, the social security cap has been well over $100k for at least ten years Benefits Planner | Social Security Tax Limits on Your Earnings | SSA , but yes, having that cap is foolish but removing it won't fix the fact that those with social security as their primary income in retirement would be on the street if the minimum wage goes up to $50.

And yes, who will study and work their ass off to be a mechanic if they are making the same wage as the burger flipper? If they are making double or triple what the burger flipper makes, then they'll want that after the minimum wage is raised.

Australia's minimum wage is AUD23 and change The national minimum wage | Fair Work Commission (fwc.gov.au) which works out to about US$15. The tax rate there is quite a bit higher too

View attachment 301174

The bottom line is that if the minimum wage goes up, then the cost of goods increases as well. Where do you think the Big Mac Index would be with a $50 minimum wage. Working time required to buy a Big Mac in cities worldwide 2018 | Statista

As you correctly noted, the minimum wage has nothing to do with the income of a CEO - but European CEOs also get exorbitant compensation. I know a Deutsche Bank exec who took early retirement at 800k Euros a year - but with a $50 minimum wage, that would be like $100k a year once the new cost of living is calculated.
Ah yes, I remember when unionization happened in the late 1800's and laborers pushed working wage up on the robber barons of the time and no-one was ever able to afford anything ever again.

Or was that not at all what happened? Does the market still dictate what something (like a big mac) CAN be sold for, meaning a slight (not $50/hr) increase in worker compensation would only mean a decrease in corporate earnings because the market determines that the product wouldn't be sold at a higher price?

In other words +$1 in employee labor does NOT equal +$1 to the final price of a product if the market determines it isn't worth that.

These invisible hands are everywhere! We can either have the very visible hand of the government slightly balance the scale, or we can go back to the late 1800's.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1710947657392.png

Huh.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

View attachment 301174

I wouldn’t consider 169k to be “well over” 100k.

It also isn’t enough with the exorbitant salaries and ballooning of top end wealth. The fact that “wealth” now equates to “the imaginary money that we call the EcONoMy” needs to find a way to tax the fuck out of every motherfucker in that sky high bracket. Eat the rich, feast on their fucking blood or keep licking the boot as it pushes you further down their economic ladder.

Reactions: WAP

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Idk, we'll see what happens once I get a look at the other side to verify, but I also think because it's not OEM but third party, it might behave slightly different. Either way, if a DCF899B won't turn it further, I don't think it's going any further. And I don't want it to shear/break off/weaken internally where I can't see it either.

I figure it's very likely shops would've just ugga dugga'd them home anyway, I did it to test if they'd spin any further, and they weren't having it, so I'm not pushing it unless the opposite side is super cooperative in which case I'll disassemble and inspect.

anyway since shit's a hornet's nest right now I'm gonna go turn myself into a smurf with cyan toner