GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine mount - worn or good?

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
Hello,

What do you think of this engine mount visually? I have recently replaced my trans mount and it had quite a bit of play and I still get slight vibrations. Thinking of changing engine mount as well.

In the first picture, there is about 1 cm distance between rubber and metal.

Not sure if you can judge this by a photo, but any opinions are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6309 Średni.jpeg
    IMG_6309 Średni.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6311 Średni.jpeg
    IMG_6311 Średni.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 54

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Don't see any cracks from the images, how many miles? If you replaced your trans mount and felt a difference probably wouldn't hurt to change out the engine mount.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
Don't see any cracks from the images, how many miles? If you replaced your trans mount and felt a difference probably wouldn't hurt to change out the engine mount.
It has 54k miles and it's 2017. I will go to the dealer and get it checked. Hopefully the mount is the problem, otherwise I suspect the flywheel.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
That's not a lot of miles, its probably fine. What makes you think its the flywheel? It could be a lot of things.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
That's not a lot of miles, its probably fine. What makes you think its the flywheel? It could be a lot of things.
That's right, I am just guessing by my research. Steering vibrations on decel, RPM specific make me think about flywheel stuff.

Check this out - I made another pic and the mount seems to be collapsed. I guess the rubber 'buttons' should be on top of the mount. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_6316 Średni.jpeg
    IMG_6316 Średni.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 37

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
That's right, I am just guessing by my research. Steering vibrations on decel, RPM specific make me think about flywheel stuff.

Check this out - I made another pic and the mount seems to be collapsed. I guess the rubber 'buttons' should be on top of the mount. Let me know what you think.
A gap is normal on the stock mounts, the engine is pushing down on that rubber. Steering vibs on deceleration usually point to brakes or something suspension related. I doubt it has anything to do with your flywheel.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
A gap is normal on the stock mounts, the engine is pushing down on that rubber. Steering vibs on deceleration usually point to brakes or something suspension related. I doubt it has anything to do with your flywheel.
Interesting, the front brakes are quite new, the rear ones haven't been changed from new, so that may be the problem. I will get the suspension checked as well.

Thanks for the tips.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Interesting, the front brakes are quite new, the rear ones haven't been changed from new, so that may be the problem. I will get the suspension checked as well.

Thanks for the tips.
If the vibration is only felt under braking, its a brake issue. Rotors could be warped. Try a hard brake on a safe road when absolutely no one is behind you. If its the rotors the vibration will be quite worse.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
If the vibration is only felt under braking, its a brake issue. Rotors could be warped. Try a hard brake on a safe road when absolutely no one is behind you. If its the rotors the vibration will be quite worse.
By decel I mean no brakes or gas applied. It happens after I accelerate and let the gas pedal off. When I brake or accelerate more, it usually goes away.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
By decel I mean no brakes or gas applied. It happens after I accelerate and let the gas pedal off. When I brake or accelerate more, it usually goes away.
Ok, this could be a lot of things, you should take it to a shop and have them diagnose.