GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with Unitronic fast

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
So I was trying to flash my car back to stock and my POS laptop shut off out of nowhere when it was ready for me to turn the ignition on and off. Now every time I try to recover it's telling me "The data is invalid" and it won't flash anything else. Any ideas since they're closed? I don't know why I do this shit so late all the time.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Try disconnecting your battery and let it sit for 10 mins or so disconnected then try again
I will try that. I did just try to start the car and it started fine and I'm able to drive it around the block, so I'm not sure if that's good I did that or not. There was a message saying if it didn't get sorted in 4 hours something bad would essentially happen, if it starts and runs right now is there a chance something goes wrong in those 4 hours?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I will try that. I did just try to start the car and it started fine and I'm able to drive it around the block, so I'm not sure if that's good I did that or not. There was a message saying if it didn't get sorted in 4 hours something bad would essentially happen, if it starts and runs right now is there a chance something goes wrong in those 4 hours?
No clue on that sorry. Uni may have programmed something in to remove the tune if the cycle doesn't complete but I'm not sure.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
if it started then your ECU isn't bricked nor is it stuck in CBOOT. you're good to go. I would try again with your laptop plugged in for power. or wait til tomorrow.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
if it started then your ECU isn't bricked nor is it stuck in CBOOT. you're good to go. I would try again with your laptop plugged in for power. or wait til tomorrow.
Might just do that... I unplugged the battery but thats good to know, I don't know what happened to my laptop, it had plenty of battery. Thanks guys.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Might just do that... I unplugged the battery but thats good to know, I don't know what happened to my laptop, it had plenty of battery. Thanks guys.
Not sure if you've sorted the laptop side of this or not, but be aware that there are a number of things that could have caused your laptop to shut down unexpectedly. You may want to check that your battery is seated correctly, and if it wasn't on a solid surface, that could also be related e.g. if it flexed just a little and a connection was shorted, OR if you sat it near enough to something magnetic that it falsely detected a lid closure, or something of that nature. Heck, it could even be an issue where the battery was not able to maintain voltage to the motherboard due to a bad/failing cell within the battery.

All sorts of stuff could be at play there, but for the future it's worth just plugging your AC Adapter into the laptop anytime you're doing tuning, sort of like how you put the car on a battery charger/maintainer just for safety when tuning as well.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Not sure if you've sorted the laptop side of this or not, but be aware that there are a number of things that could have caused your laptop to shut down unexpectedly. You may want to check that your battery is seated correctly, and if it wasn't on a solid surface, that could also be related e.g. if it flexed just a little and a connection was shorted, OR if you sat it near enough to something magnetic that it falsely detected a lid closure, or something of that nature. Heck, it could even be an issue where the battery was not able to maintain voltage to the motherboard due to a bad/failing cell within the battery.

All sorts of stuff could be at play there, but for the future it's worth just plugging your AC Adapter into the laptop anytime you're doing tuning, sort of like how you put the car on a battery charger/maintainer just for safety when tuning as well.
Yeah after I posted that last night I realized I was moving my key fob (I have a strong magnet quick release) around and it likely got close enough to the magnet to think the lid shut... I recently changed closing the lid to shut down since Windows sucks so bad with sleeping and my laptop is fast enough that it boots in no time.

Sigh.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yeah after I posted that last night I realized I was moving my key fob (I have a strong magnet quick release) around and it likely got close enough to the magnet to think the lid shut... I recently changed closing the lid to shut down since Windows sucks so bad with sleeping and my laptop is fast enough that it boots in no time.

Sigh.
That's good that it wasn't an issue with the laptop along with the issue with the car at least. It still couldn't hurt to get in touch with the vendor and confirm everything is good to go.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I was actually able to flash no problem last night after letting the battery sit disconnected after I made this post. Thanks for the help, I was a bit panicked there.