GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heated Mirror Troubleshooting

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Haha it's either a better connection, or when reinstalling I pushed the separating layers back together. If it slowly gets worse again over time, I'll have to look into it again to see if the mirror and heating element are in fact delaminating.

When I traded in the mk6 the de laminating had happened on the other side had started to do it too, I stuck the first one back with super glue and it continued to work fine after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I have a spare OEM drivers side mirror glass that I will trade for beer! I'm in Marietta, shoot me a PM if you would like it.

racerx20

Ready to race!
My driver's side mirror doesn't defrost very well also, has been like that since new. Just hasn't bothered me enough yet to take the car in, may try taking it apart to see if that fixes it as it did yours.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have a spare OEM drivers side mirror glass that I will trade for beer! I'm in Marietta, shoot me a PM if you would like it.

I'll definitely reach out if things start to go poorly again in the near future. Always nice finding another local around here!

My driver's side mirror doesn't defrost very well also, has been like that since new. Just hasn't bothered me enough yet to take the car in, may try taking it apart to see if that fixes it as it did yours.

Definitely be careful popping the glass out of the housing. I watched the ShopDAP video regarding the mirrors before I did mine.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey, it's me in the future about five years.

After buying a house with a garage and having a parking garage at work, I haven't noticed this issue again until yesterday. Warm, rainy, and foggy afternoon on the commute home. Passenger side heats up and gets rid of the condensation in like a mile. Absolutely no heat on the driver side (I know because I had to stick my hand out the window like a wiper blade to clean it off haha). So, it looks like I'm diving into this again :LOL: Hopefully just removing the glass and pushing it back on fixes it like last time 🤞

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Hey, it's me in the future about five years.

After buying a house with a garage and having a parking garage at work, I haven't noticed this issue again until yesterday. Warm, rainy, and foggy afternoon on the commute home. Passenger side heats up and gets rid of the condensation in like a mile. Absolutely no heat on the driver side (I know because I had to stick my hand out the window like a wiper blade to clean it off haha). So, it looks like I'm diving into this again :LOL: Hopefully just removing the glass and pushing it back on fixes it like last time 🤞

I'm surprised VW didn't design a more weather-resistant connection to the heater grid. It's just an exposed spade terminal. I'm sure it oxidizes and the continuity becomes tenuous over time. I'd clean it and refasten it nice and tight.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm surprised VW didn't design a more weather-resistant connection to the heater grid. It's just an exposed spade terminal. I'm sure it oxidizes and the continuity becomes tenuous over time. I'd clean it and refasten it nice and tight.
Yup, that's exactly the plan over the weekend.