GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG or Manual

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
What, what?

If I'm going to drop enough money to purchase a car, you better believe I'm going to test drive it! I can understand a dealer not letting someone come in and test drive within the first 5 minutes maybe, but... Plus, while the R is an awesome car, it's far from the most powerful car in that price range... imagine someone coming in to look at Mustang GT and the salesperson saying they can't test drive it?!
This is why I ended up in a GTI. I had my heart set on an R and I went to 3 dealers. No one would let me test drive one. Also no one was willing to budge on the price. It became a difference of USD12,000 between my GTI SE and an R. And to the topic of this thread, now that we got rid of my wife's WRX, I often wish I had bought a manual GTI instead of the DSG.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
2016 thread. Stop the madness.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I didn’t have a choice I had to go dsg due to left leg issues.

but I did test drive a manual GTI too. Compared to the veloster n’s manual, type r’s manual, high performance version of the eco boost mustang’s manual, wrx’s manual, sti’s manual, jcw cooper s’s manual, and civic si’s manual

it’s in the bottom of the pile but over the wrx’s while dangling below the si’s.

it’s not a bad manual but it sure as fuck isn’t great. Only thing it’s got going for it is the more connected feel. But that’s really about it.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I didn’t have a choice I had to go dsg due to left leg issues.

but I did test drive a manual GTI too. Compared to the veloster n’s manual, type r’s manual, high performance version of the eco boost mustang’s manual, wrx’s manual, sti’s manual, jcw cooper s’s manual, and civic si’s manual

it’s in the bottom of the pile but over the wrx’s while dangling below the si’s.

it’s not a bad manual but it sure as fuck isn’t great. Only thing it’s got going for it is the more connected feel. But that’s really about it.
With a good clutch, its pretty darn good. I think a good, stiff clutch makes a world of a difference in these cars.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
With a good clutch, its pretty darn good. I think a good, stiff clutch makes a world of a difference in these cars.
Oh yeah that’s with any manual

it’s just, comparing the manual GTI to other shit box 4 bangers that are manual. Some a little cheaper some a little more expensive. I didn’t like it much.

forgot to throw in the 86 and brz in there. Their manual is decent as hell.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
The manual in this car is really designed for the non modder who is probably going to lease the car or leave it completely stock. More than likely they wouldn't complain about it. It's light, smooth and simple. No thrills shifting for a car lacking power stock. Makes sense VW went cheap on the clutch.

Once you begin the modding or appreciate a good shift, that is when the manual in stock form shows its weakness. Though with that said, it is nothing you couldn't fix with around 80 bucks worth of a mod... The mk6 manual also sucked. Well, short shifted that biz with Diesel Geek and turned it into a very pleasant experience. This car, Boomba'd her up and she's a very pleasant ride now. Clutch is still a lil too soft for my liking of a "performance" car, but whatever. It's dying day by day with stg1 high toooorque, "so much torque the chassis twisted coming off the line."

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
@Keehs360

I know they are very different but I prefer the MT in the GTI over the Mustang. Although the shifter in the GTI is loose (lose?) it is way easier to shift. The Stang took a good bit of concentration to shift correctly

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
@Keehs360

I know they are very different but I prefer the MT in the GTI over the Mustang. Although the shifter in the GTI is loose (lose?) it is way easier to shift.
I respect that. Mechanically and scientifically they’re each superior than the other in many absolute metrics. But objective metrics matter too. Objective metrics should be at the foreground IMO, opinion matters. U know?

u wanna row your own gears, that’s a ok and none of my damn business 😂

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
I respect that. Mechanically and scientifically they’re each superior than the other in many absolute metrics. But objective subjective metrics matter too. Objective Subjective metrics should be at the foreground IMO, opinion matters. U know?

u wanna row your own gears, that’s a ok and none of my damn business 😂

FTFY. That may have been the source of Mud's confusion.