GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBD11 and Adaptive Cruise Control

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Yes, nobody like sitting in stop/go traffic with a manual no matter how much the manual zealots say they do..hahahaha

Call me "nobody". I prefer it to an automatic. Why? I hate the creeping that an auto does, and having to quell it by constantly shifting from drive to neutral. I'd rather just deal with the stick and clutch to accomplish the same thing. Been doing it for 47 years, never bothered me a bit, even when I've had some brutal commutes with a lot of stop & go traffic. I jump into the wife's car and curse at the automatic in the same situations.

As for ACC, I absolutely love it. Yes, there are some quirks with slowing cars ahead and certain situations that can confuse it, but that's ok - I'm very familiar with how to deal with them and don't mind at all. It's there to assist my driving, not take over it entirely.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Call me "nobody". I prefer it to an automatic. Why? I hate the creeping that an auto does, and having to quell it by constantly shifting from drive to neutral. I'd rather just deal with the stick and clutch to accomplish the same thing. Been doing it for 47 years, never bothered me a bit, even when I've had some brutal commutes with a lot of stop & go traffic. I jump into the wife's car and curse at the automatic in the same situations.

As for ACC, I absolutely love it. Yes, there are some quirks with slowing cars ahead and certain situations that can confuse it, but that's ok - I'm very familiar with how to deal with them and don't mind at all. It's there to assist my driving, not take over it entirely.
Why in the world would you just not use the brake to creep along vs. shifting to neutral? Either way, you are having to do something with your feet I suppose and I've had my share of terrible traffic in manuals I've owned over the years but always got old to me vs. just having an auto.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
I
Why in the world would you just not use the brake to creep along vs. shifting to neutral? Either way, you are having to do something with your feet I suppose and I've had my share of terrible traffic in manuals I've owned over the years but always got old to me vs. just having an auto.
I drove manuals most of my life, in an hour long commute, I finally got the auto dsg per me knee being hurt, I couldn't have been happier, I miss manuals but I probly couldn't go back to it

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I

I drove manuals most of my life, in an hour long commute, I finally got the auto dsg per me knee being hurt, I couldn't have been happier, I miss manuals but I probly couldn't go back to it
The DSG is the best auto I've owned and I'm 47 - I've had 8 vehicles over that time and 5 have been sticks/3 autos. The DSG really is a great tranny and if you actually engage with it/drive it using all it's features, it's amazing.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
You can find ACC retrofit kits from unreputable sellers across the world. The most expensive part is changing the ABS pump to support ACC $700+ part. It's a small fortune to retrofit this feature. $250 sensor, $200 front facia to fit the sensor, $50 wiring harness, not to mention new ABS sensors and FeC codes, paying dealer to activate and calibrate the system. No guarantee it'll work

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
You can find ACC retrofit kits from unreputable sellers across the world. The most expensive part is changing the ABS pump to support ACC $700+ part. It's a small fortune to retrofit this feature. $250 sensor, $200 front facia to fit the sensor, $50 wiring harness, not to mention new ABS sensors and FeC codes, paying dealer to activate and calibrate the system. No guarantee it'll work
Changing the ABS pump is not required, your car just needs to have a high line gateway.

I did the retrofit, and a few other forum members have as well. Cost me a little over $700 total, thankfully I did not need calibration from the dealership.

Not everyone sees the value in ACC but for me it was well worth it. I commute 50+ miles round trip every day on a single lane highway, used regular cruise control all the time and the change to ACC was a huge upgrade. And that's with a manual car, DSG would be even better. (Only benefit of DSG in my opinion 😂).

Radar trim plate: $8.43 VW dealership
MRR radar: $185.78 ebay
crash bar: $128.44 e-acca
rear ABS sensors: $32.68 ebay
ACC harness: $19.74 ebay
lower grill: $30.26 ebay
MFSW buttons: $79.00 aliexpress
CP removal / remote coding: $250
TOTAL: $734.33

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
The DSG is the best auto I've owned and I'm 47 - I've had 8 vehicles over that time and 5 have been sticks/3 autos. The DSG really is a great tranny and if you actually engage with it/drive it using all it's features, it's amazing.
do you mean using paddle shifters? or am i not using it to its full potential lol

tigeo

Autocross Champion
do you mean using paddle shifters? or am i not using it to its full potential lol
Yes, paddles, sport, drive - folks go on that the DSG doesn't shift when they want it to but you can control that.

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
As a UK driver I have been so impressed with the ACC. We seem to have a different driving style over here with a lot of idiots speeding up/slowing down and generally cutting in. I have driven in the US and its a lot less hassle on the main motorways/freeways. its like formation driving. Over here you can just set it to 70mph and track the car in front from a safe distance. So much better than standard cruise which I rarely used unless the road was very quiet.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

Fair question - I dunno, I just hate auto transmission creep, always have. It's a screwball preference for sure. But then, I'm a screwball.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Fair question - I dunno, I just hate auto transmission creep, always have. It's a screwball preference for sure. But then, I'm a screwball.
Fair enough! Have you ever driven a car with the DSG? They are a little more odd in that case b/c you really don't want to creep along b/c you are hammering the clutches doing that so it's more on/off with the brake pedal...engage/disengage.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Changing the ABS pump is not required, your car just needs to have a high line gateway.

Not everyone sees the value in ACC but for me it was well worth it. I commute 50+ miles round trip every day on a single lane highway, used regular cruise control all the time and the change to ACC was a huge upgrade. And that's with a manual car, DSG would be even better. (Only benefit of DSG in my opinion 😂).

Which ABS module do you have, 38 pin or 46 pin? As I'm doing ACC retrofit in the coming weeks, your comment made me did into whether I need to change the ABS pump. I already have a new one, and have built wiring adapter harnesses for the change so I'm going to change mine anyway. But... started reading up on it and it seems maybe my existing ABS pump would have been okay since I have a manual. On the other hand, it does not appear my 38 pin ABS supports the TPMS Set button (in the center console) so I can tell myself that is the reason I'm upgrading.

How does the car handle the need to shift when using ACC? I drive a TDI and spend all of my highway time in 6th, even passing, unless I'm trying to get out of someone's way. Does the car give you prompt to downshift? When I first got the car I thought it really weird that pressing the clutch does not dis-engage cruise control, but it makes sense now.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Which ABS module do you have, 38 pin or 46 pin? As I'm doing ACC retrofit in the coming weeks, your comment made me did into whether I need to change the ABS pump. I already have a new one, and have built wiring adapter harnesses for the change so I'm going to change mine anyway. But... started reading up on it and it seems maybe my existing ABS pump would have been okay since I have a manual. On the other hand, it does not appear my 38 pin ABS supports the TPMS Set button (in the center console) so I can tell myself that is the reason I'm upgrading.

How does the car handle the need to shift when using ACC? I drive a TDI and spend all of my highway time in 6th, even passing, unless I'm trying to get out of someone's way. Does the car give you prompt to downshift? When I first got the car I thought it really weird that pressing the clutch does not dis-engage cruise control, but it makes sense now.
Honestly I have no clue which pump I have, I just know I didn't change it. Where can I even find it to check the pins?

As for shifting with ACC, there is no prompt or anything, the car will just slow down and chug along in the higher gear until you manually downshift, or if accelerating, the RPMs will just increase as the car speeds up. You just have to stay engaged and shift when applicable. As long as you don't press the brake, you can leave ACC engaged and continue to shift normally.

In my experience, typically if the speed changes enough to have to switch gears I will usually either need to use the brake as I'm probably coming close to a full stop anyway, or accelerate faster than cruise control does anyway.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That makes sense... if you have a scan with the part number that's easier than physically looking looking at it. It's on the firewall, kind of the right side. Looking at the PR codes I don't think the change was required for me with a manual. The 8TI PR code on the 46 pin part number is for ACC with "follow-to-stop" which makes sense for a DSG.

The 38 pin part number I am replacing: 3Q0 907 379 C
According to the same site... this unit has PR Codes 8T0, 8T2, 8T6, and 8T7

The 46 pin part number that I am installing: 3Q0 907 379 AB
According to one of the parts websites, but not ETKA... this unit has PR Codes 8T3, 8T8

Pulled from an option code PDF I got from somewhere...
8T0 GRA Without cruise control system (CCS)
8T1 GRA Cruise control system (CCS)
8T2 GRA Cruise control system (CCS) electronic
8T3 GRA Adaptive cruise control
8T4 GRA Adaptive cruise control
8T5 GRA Adaptive cruise control
8T6 GRA Cruise control system and speed limiter
8T7 GRA Adaptive cruise control (without "follow-to-stop") and speed limiter
8T8 GRA Adaptive cruise control (with "follow-to-stop") and speed limiter
8T9 GRA Speed limiter without cruise control system and without adaptive cruise control