GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Wes1

1. W

MK7 Engine Failure - Advice Please

Painful. But as I said at my age I don't work on cars anymore. After a lot of fits and starts, the dealer came up with a "refurbished" 48,000 mile engine, warrantied for 1 yr/12K for $7900. Labor was $1400 and with incidentials, the bottom line was $9850. Now the suspension is rattling like...
  2. W

Thanks guys. I realize I'm on shaky ground. My service advisor and I have a pretty good relationship and he was pretty sympathetic at first but probably got slapped by his boss. I'll see what they come up with next week. My SO really likes this car and doesn't want to drive my G8 so I have...
  3. W

In another thread Low coolant warning I documented the events leading up to the current disaster. In a nutshell, an apparent oil cooler failure mixed oil and water and had me paying the dealer nearly $1900 for repair. The dealer admitting to having to do it twice for some unspecified "valve...
  4. W

Occasional Low Coolant Warning Problem

The latest in this saga. Got the car back Thursday (8/31). During its time in the shop they apparently thought it was done until test driving and then "had to do it over" whatever that means. It seemed to drive okay until yesterday (9/5) afternoon when I first thought it was down on power at...
  5. W

If I last as long as my mom did, I've got another 15 years. My SO is 64 and I still drive her to work in the morning, hence the mileage on my cars. My '09 Pontiac G8 GT has 197K on it. I retired it as a DD when I bought the GTI. BTW, I still drive (legally) without glasses, except for shades...
  6. W

As I said earlier there was oil in the radiator, of that I'm sure.
  7. W

Of course I'm getting ripped off. Car dealerships have a license to print money. But these guys have ensured that I won't ever buy another car from them.
  8. W

Well, this is what happens when you get too old (81) to work on your own cars anymore. (I still drive it like I stole it however) If I had time to shop around for an alternative to the dealer service I would. But I don't, so I bite the bullet and take the screwing. Here's the latest in a...
  9. W

Bingo. My concern was more about coolant getting into the oiling system. So...car is in the shop, estimate to repair ~$1900. They loaned me a 2023 Taos. It still has knobs and tactile controls. If a new GTI had them I would buy one, maybe even an R. But they cheapened it up so I'll keep...
  10. W

More info: The car is now cool (I'm in Tucson, "cool" is a relative term). Removing the cap of the coolant bottle and shining a light through the opening I see that the real coolant level is barely above the bottom, The "flush" failed to remove the brown gunk coating the inside of the bottle...
  11. W

I drive a 2018 GTI SE now with 92K miles on it. The same thing has happened to me, once 4 days ago and again today. The first time I was close to the dealer and stopped in. I had to wait a bit before moving into the bay so I shut off the engine. When I refired and moved inside, the warning...
  12. W

Replace one strut, bad idea?

I picked up my 2018 GI on Memorial Day. My fiance drove it home so I didn't note the problem immediately. It was the dreaded "shipping pucks left in" but in my case only on the driver's side. I learned about this problem thanks to this forum. It was a couple of days before I could get in and...