GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by relive

1. R

Battery replacement questions

My OEM battery suddenly died. The electronics still work, but the battery won't charge and the car won't even jump start. I have two questions: Is it bad for the car to leave it disconnected from a battery for an extended period of time? In other words, should I have the replacement battery on...
  2. R

Mods can delete this

CPO is a separate warranty that extends the New Car Limited Warranty by 2yr/24k for '17 cars. The New Car Limited Warranty on a '17 was 3yr/36k, so your warranty is 5yr/60k from the initial service date of the car, or 2yr/24k from the date of your purchase, whichever one is later/higher.
  3. R

Parking pawl damage?

I did something silly this morning in my GTI (DSG). I was stopped on a downhill, and forgot that I had put the car in park. I let the brakes go, and the car rolled forward a few inches until the parking pawl caught it. The transmission made a huge clunk when I took it out of park. Could I have...
  4. R

Advice/Opinions/Experience, Please - selling car after damage repair

Have you tried entering the same information with and without an accident into Carvana, etc? Most of the car buying places don't require you to enter a license plate, so while this won't give you a 100% accurate answer, this will put you in the ballpark. Gathering this information would also...
  5. R

Premium gas in 1.8L TSI?!

Aside from different engine codes, the engines in a 2016 A3 and a 2017 Golf are exactly the same internally. They even come out of the factory with identical tunes (170HP @ 4500rpm, 200 lb-ft @ 1600rpm), so there's no reason to expect them to behave differently from each other.
  6. R

And what engine do you think that the Audi in the study that I linked has?
  7. R

What engine do you think you have in your Golf?
  8. R

Here's the article: https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2010/long-term-road-test/2010-volkswagen-gti-the-effect-of-octane-on-its-power.html Seems to be a consistent ~2% difference throughout the curve. Edmunds's results are in line with AAA's premium fuel study, which found a 2.1% and 2.0%...
  9. R

Should I sell my gti now?

Sounds like SoCal pricing is higher than NorCal. The best offer that I got for my '16 S DSG with 44k miles is $17,500. Not worth swapping cars for, but it is more than what I paid for it (before taxes) two years ago.
  10. R

Obdeleven standard help

Looking at your latest picture, which is much clearer, it looks a lot like this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/not-familiar-obd2-port-2755691/ What looked like "ears" initially now looks like the "big" side of the typical trapezoid shaped ODB2 port. If you draw a line...
  11. R

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

Yeah, I figured that this was the spot that was concerning. What is the cheapest way to get a second opinion on this? I assume that the dealership would give me the same answer if I reached out to them again. My warranty expired a few days after my service, but my complaint is logged in the...
  12. R

Here's a slightly angle that they sent me. Doesn't show the residue that may be in the first photo. Can't really see much in either photo, though. Is it concerning enough to you that I should take it back and have them take another look?
  13. R

Thanks for confirming! Hope that your repair goes well.
  14. R

I asked the dealer to send me a photo of the thermostat housing while it was on the lift, and this is what they sent me. There is no residue anywhere in the photo, but I can't tell exactly what I am looking at. Can someone confirm if this is the thermostat housing?
  15. R

Photo with level and miles was posted yesterday. About an inch or so after 5000 miles. https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/failed-thermostat-housing-coolant-loss-info-gathering.368847/post-7592995 Thanks again, I appreciate the 2nd opinion!