GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by mlohm

1. M

New starter & unpleasant starting noise

Thanks, @gixxerfool for your thoughts. You definitely pointed me in the right direction. I wanted to post the rest of the story now that it's played out: I found a local automotive electric repair shop, and I was able to take the OE starter there. After looking at it, they found that the brush...
  2. M

That's exactly what I'll do when my local shop opens up on Monday; I just thought I'd put the question out there in case anyone else may already have experienced this (and so I can post that resolution for posterity). Thanks!
  3. M

Hi Gang, With the community's help, I was able to diagnose and replace the bad OE starter on my '17 GTI. I used the most readily available starter, which happened to be an aftermarket CarQuest brand starter. It installed no problem, but I did notice that the starter gear that engages the...
  4. M

Help—suddenly won't even turn over when trying to start

A voltmeter is a good idea; I'll look into that... Thanks!
  5. M

Today's test drive was just fine. All of the errors cleared once the car rolled forward, as I hoped. Thanks again, all!
  6. M

Took another look and, guessing that the battery was too weak, put my charger into "boost" (i.e., jump start) mode. Fired up right away. I'm guessing that the codes will clear as soon as the car moves a bit and sees the wheels turn, but that's a question for tomorrow. Thanks all, again! -mike
  7. M

I don't honestly know how to check that. The starter installed easily: no forcing any meshing or anything, although I don't think it would contact the flywheel until the solenoid engages, so ...yeah, how would you check that?....
  8. M

(Oh, and my leading theory is that the battery is indeed still in need of replacement, despite the "passable" performance on the load test).
  9. M

quick report: - I was able to locate a new starter locally, so I picked it up - Just to be thorough, I checked the two starter relays and they both operated normally - I replaced the starter Upon reinstalling the battery (I had it out for about 2 days to be tested), when trying to start, I...
  10. M

Is there anything worth checking between the battery and the starter. All I can think of is just sanity checking the starter relay. It looks like replacing the starter isn't too bad from above once you take out the airbox. Am I missing anything about that? Thanks! PS: The battery passed the...
  11. M

Took a look tonight. After clearing the engine codes, the "starter will not turn" code persisted. I will go have the battery checked and replace if need be, but in addition, how can I diagnose the starter solenoid's health (or lack thereof)? I pulled off the airbox just to take a look, and if I...
  12. M

Yes, at the time of the fault the voltage was very low, but I did charge it up over 12v and had the same results. I would think that if the battery was trashed, it would still turn over with the charger attached and in jump/boost mode, wouldn’t it ?
  13. M

Hi All, I've got a '17 GTI with around 53k miles on it. It recently had a catastrophic clutch failure (pedal just stuck to the floor while driving in heavy traffic), and while I was unfortunately not able to get any help from the dealer or VoA, at least the car has a brand new clutch and...