GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by CW_R32

1. C

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Yeah bentin, that was >90% of what I was noticing and attributing to tire sidewall spread. It was just that the tires were not scrubbed in yet. Now that I have about 500mi on them, they stick like glue. The 245/40-18 on 8" wheel definitely does lose just a tick of initial precision over the...
  2. C

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

As an aside, I am really liking the ride with a 245/40-18 over the stock 235/35-19. Its way more compliant on real world road surfaces due to resulting profile and increased air volume. I'm not sure if I will go 245 again on an 8" wide wheel as they are a bit squirmy due to being slightly bulged...
  3. C

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

No way man. It looks awful. haha. I joke, I really like them. Its a really good contrast with the blue Golf R. Not ostentatious, subtle but different than the herd. If a photo is worth a 1000 words, hopefully my 25 words is worth 5% of a photo? I will upload one eventually.
  4. C

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

I trust myself much more than I trust tire rack for actual weights. haha Seriously the real problem is here is that going by tire rack spec weight, my wheels/tire assemblies were 2lbs heavier than they should have been. And you can chalk that up to measurement system variation/accuracy, except...
  5. C

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Yes in theory... but unless you can wear 4lbs of rubber off a 21lb tire, something is off. I guess I have motivation to spoon those tires off to discover the actual weight of the Pretoria 19x8 wheel, and how light can a tire get when it is totally worn. Perhaps it didn't come across, but using...
  6. C

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

I just ordered and installed 18"x8 OZ Ultraleggera's in Matt Bronze, 45 offset to replace the the OEM 19" Pretorrias and Conti sportcontact tires... They came mounted with tires (Mich PS4S) and total weight was more than spec sheet from TireRack: 43.6-8 lbs, call it 43.7lbs avg and round up to...
  7. C

235/45-R18

True, also you have less offset, which I interpreted as roughly putting the extra width towards to strut. But yeah the tire will have a slightly different profile on 8" wide wheel. It will look like I have 235 18 setup on a 19" wheel... like yours looks like you are running a 235 17 setup...
  8. C

235/45-R18

So it seems likely that 235/40-19 will fit since they are roughly same size. I have 19" pretoria's and I think they look decent and are pretty light for OEM wheels. What I don't like is having a 35 sidewall in the real world. Was planning on buying 18's but if the 1" larger diameter tire clears...
  9. C

Coolant Leak?

My Golf R has always smelled like coolant when parked after driving it, yet it has only had to have coolant added once. It is a '17 with almost 25k mi now. It was driven mostly by my exwife so I never took a huge interest in it, but now I wish did since its out of warranty and coolant is almost...