GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by amsr

1. A

Oil on camshaft magnet connector plugs?

So I had both camshaft adjuster magnets replaced with the seals. Still making a rattling noise from the upper timing chain cover. No more oil in the connectors. Looks like I may be headed down the spool valve or new cam path... meh.
  2. A

Yeah they did. It looked new.
  3. A

Not sure. Tech confirmed both seals were replaced when the timing chain cover was done. Maybe one pre-maturely failed? Or is there an internal seal in the magnet itself that can cause oil incursion in the electrical connector? My guess is its either that or seal 9 from above that failed, but...
  4. A

Crack in sunroof bezel/roof trim?

Are you guys able to get the part? When I asked a few months ago it was back ordered.
  5. A

Excessive Dry Noise over Bumps

My 2017 SE does this also. It goes away if I'm driving in the rain for the most part. Never been able to figure it out.
  6. A

Its both connectors. You have to disconnect them both to get the noise to go away and it comes back a couple minutes later after you clean them so I am assuming a leak. No recent oil service. I looked in the repair manual and under the section that says: Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 - N205- and...
  7. A

The upper timing chain cover and timing chain was replaced/re-sealed a few months ago. Would those seals have been replaced then? Or is that a different seal?
  8. A

A couple weeks ago I noticed a rattle near the upper timing chain cover on my MK7 GTI SE. It has 120k on it. It seemed to be coming from the camshaft adjuster magnets, so I unplugged them and the sound went away. Plugging them back in made the sound come back. I noticed when unplugging them...
  9. A

When to replace the battery in the key ?

Replace it when it dies. Mine dies like every 6 months-1 year. I have KESSY. The 2032 does last a bit longer, but they are harder to sandwich in there. The rubber gasket doesn't seal as well with the 2032 as with the 2025 so it won't be water resistant with the larger battery. My original...
  10. A

Water in the boot wheel area and right hand side floor

The pressure vent on my drivers side leaked and I ended up with a spare wheel well full of water. It had been going on for some time before I realized it so I ended up with some mold on the carpet below the spare. I had a body shop re-seal the pressure vents and replace the carpet and everything...
  11. A

Timing chain stretch measurements?

It was done at Arbormotion in Ann Arbor. I’ve used them before. They do good work. Cost was comparable to the dealer. The repair was delayed because of parts availability. In any case, the car runs great now. The only lingering issue is I now get a bit of a oil smell through the vents that...
  12. A

Mine was stretched. They replaced it and also re-sealed the valve cover gasket which had started to leak into the spark plug holes. Cost for the repair was about 3500 from a local indy that works on European cars. As a bonus I got new spark plugs, oil change, and a coolant flush as part of the...
  13. A

OK thanks. Whats a reasonable ballpark for doing the timing chain and covers for a MK7?
  14. A

My 2017 MK7 GTI SE has 115k on it. Recently it was in for service and the mechanic noted that the timing chain cover was starting to leak oil. They did a measurement in VCDS of the timing chain and the comment was "total of both phase actual values -4.4" and suggested I might consider doing the...
  15. A

First post, tailgate water leak on my mk 7.5 gti

The pressure relief vents behind the bumper can leak. But that typically shows up as water in the spare wheel well since they are down low. Maybe the rear sunroof drains? Not sure.