GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by amsr

1. A

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

Yeah they are noticeably better than the AS3+ in the snow and the ride/noise is a little better. Similar levels of grip. But the turn in and cornering is mushy in comparison. Thats my conclusion.
  2. A

17 or 18" winters?

If you can get the pilot alpins they are really amazing, at least the PA3 and PA4. I haven’t tried the 5 yet.
  3. A

Brake feel altered with new tires?

Its improved a bit since they have broken in. (y)
  4. A

Has anyone run the Goodyear exhilarate? What do you gain/give up vs the Michelin?
  5. A

Wheel insurance

So the roads here are terrible. Despite what the sales person says when I asked, the VW wheel and tire insurance doesn’t seem cover bent wheels unless the tire is losing air due to the bend. (I know…) Are there any wheel insurances out there that do? 90% of the time I get a bend it’s enough to...
  6. A

Idk I found the P7 to be ok, they just lacked in all out grip and seemed to blow easily with even small pothole impacts. Honestly if I just wanted a basic touring tire I might consider them again. I’ve driven them on other cars like Audis and they felt the same. The Michelin PSAS compound is a...
  7. A

They are quieter than the AS3+ but louder than the P7 Cinturato. I don’t find them bothersome from a noise standpoint, but they aren’t silent.
  8. A

17' Sportwagen SE w/ sunroof leak and sub enclosure full of water.

I can’t really believe these cars made it to market with this roof design. They fail at such high rates. I’ve never had any issues with water ingress in other modern cars. Such great cars otherwise. 🤷‍♂️
  9. A

Yeah idk, considering the previous set didn’t do this, and the original set that came on the car didn't either, I’m sort of wondering if there’s something else going on. Initial bite is kind of the hallmark of the PP brakes on this car, even with the stock "touring" AS tires. I doubt putting new...
  10. A

The specs on tire rack look similar for braking distance. They only measure "dry" - they don't (that I can tell) say what temp they tested at. Could something with how they torqued the lug nuts effect braking performance or feel? Thats literally the only thing I can think of..
  11. A

I don't think I love my DWS06+'s - reflections and questions - UPDATE:

To be fair Michelin also softened up the PSAS4 a bit compared to the AS3+. I haven’t driven the DWS so I can’t compare, but I recently got the AS4 and the turn in and lateral stability, while good, isn’t quite as good as the previous version. OTOH the ride quality is a bit better - although...
  12. A

I have a 2017 GTI SE I recently replaced my Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ with some Pilot Sport AS4 tires. I noticed now that the initial brake “bite” that I felt previously with my car is gone. I guess it could be the tires, but on paper at least the AS4 is at least as good as the AS3+ In braking...
  13. A

I think the stock size is only available as 92Y XL. I have them mounted on Austins. I’m sure different wheels would alter the feel depending on the weight. Hmm.
  14. A

I’m curious what temps have you run them in? It’s current in the 30s here so maybe my impression would be different if it was warmer?
  15. A

Yeah I’ve seen their tests. If I hadn’t just spent two years with a set of AS3+ I’d be more likely to believe them. Perhaps on a spreadsheet they are better, but my “butt dyno” liked how my car drove on the previous version better. If you watch the video where they interview the product manager...