GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

As of 2023, what are the go-to brake pads for spirited street driving?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Its finally time to replace the stock brakes in my 2019 GTI, and the rotors have a decent lip on them so they will be replaced as well. Rotors are pretty simple, I was just going to get the Centric 125 high carbon rotors (or similar). Pads are where things get more interesting. Taking into account the triangular balance between power-dust-noise, I have come down to Akebono Euro Ceramics and Centric PosiQuiet Ceramics. I was also considering EBC Yellows and Hawk HPS 5.0s, but from what I have read the hawks are way overkill for street driving and the EBCs are just expensive for what I will be doing. I am not looking to spend close to $200 on a set of pads alone, but I also do not want to buy cheap autozone stuff. Feedback is much appreciated.

Tirerack has the Akebonos and Centric Rotors as a kit for $255 which seems solid.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Do you just want them to be low-dust? That's what ceramics will get you. For "spirited" driving, I'd go with HPS of those options (they are very much not a track pad). iSweep IS1500 is good too.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Do you just want them to be low-dust? That's what ceramics will get you. For "spirited" driving, I'd go with HPS of those options (they are very much not a track pad). iSweep IS1500 is good too.
The dusting of the stock ones is alright but definitely builds up on my wheels pretty fast. I have looked at the iSweep too but are the HPS/iSweep really worth the 2x cost over the akebono and centric ceramics?

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I created a multi page thread with polls on this very subject circa 10/2022.

Results for good bite, and low dust, taken from dozens of members and track hounds:

-Any ceramic that isn’t EBC

-iSweep 1500s

-Powerstop Z23s

-TRW Ceramics before they were cruelly discontinued

Good bite, higher heat range, stock levels of dust:

-iSweep 2000 and 2500

-Hawk HPS and HPS 5.0

- most any quality organic or semi metallic pad suitable for street use

Pair any of these pads with a quality coated (for corrosion protection), high carbon rotor. Zimmerman, Centric, Powerstop, or Raybestos.

I went with Powerstop Z23 carbon ceramics and the same rotors described above, and I couldn’t be happier. My wheels stay clean and attractive, and I have the same or slightly more brake bite than the stock soft organics. 👌

This is on a 12-second tuned GTI that does very healthy speeds on extended cruises and backroads with a car club once a month.

Brakes, tires and suspension are king 👑 in this group.

Last thing:

A lot of the cheaper aftermarket pads have fitment issues and will move around or “rock” within the caliper bracket, producing a clunking noise when going from D to R and Vice versa. This is the single most common brake complaint from folks on this platform.

I’ve had no such problems with the PS Z23s.

Their standard Z17 ceramics have fit well in every customer car I’ve installed them on for the last theee years, so upwards of 24+ installs without noise, and with improvements in brake bite.

Let me know if this helps your search. 🍻 😎

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
The test subject. 👌 👏 👀

Attachments

• B231095C-84DB-44EF-A1E7-1534EEAEB50D.jpeg
    B231095C-84DB-44EF-A1E7-1534EEAEB50D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 206
  • E32ABD64-B450-4C6F-9BDD-ED442B7D8AF3.jpeg
    E32ABD64-B450-4C6F-9BDD-ED442B7D8AF3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 143
  • 34AFC8D8-1B61-4930-AF21-194453E19C06.jpeg
    34AFC8D8-1B61-4930-AF21-194453E19C06.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 146
  • 4D94310D-970F-452A-B7B0-D8B34B2DBDF2.jpeg
    4D94310D-970F-452A-B7B0-D8B34B2DBDF2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 148
  • 8807AF19-55C8-4C51-B84C-923F832C12E1.jpeg
    8807AF19-55C8-4C51-B84C-923F832C12E1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
  • F166E80D-2AFF-439E-8F08-5DAC03835A84.jpeg
    F166E80D-2AFF-439E-8F08-5DAC03835A84.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Last piece of real-world feedback:

A friend and customer has a 2017 Ford Focus ST with FBO. Very similar weight and layout to our cars.

She runs Hawk HPA 5.0 up front and stock Motorcraft pads out back. Her brakes feel consistently better than mine, but that platform doesn’t have our spongy brake boost assist issues that make our pedals feel squishier.

Her car stops with authority, and wheel dust is still better than our OE TRW organic pads that come factory on the GTIs.

I liken it to any performance car I’ve ever driven that has factory Brembos, despite the low-tech floating calipers used on the FoST.

That’s a high water mark (OE Brembo feel)

So if you elect a HPS 5.0, you may be quite pleased with the improved bite. 🦷 🐅

DO expect them to be tougher on your rotors due to the semi-metallic formulation. I’ve seen this time and again, but not much worse than OE VAG pads.

As they say, no free lunches.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I created a multi page thread with polls on this very subject circa 10/2022.

Results for good bite, and low dust, taken from dozens of members and track hounds:

-Any ceramic that isn’t EBC

-iSweep 1500s

-Powerstop Z23s

-TRW Ceramics before they were cruelly discontinued

Good bite, higher heat range, stock levels of dust:

-iSweep 2000 and 2500

-Hawk HPS and HPS 5.0

- most any quality organic or semi metallic pad suitable for street use

Pair any of these pads with a quality coated (for corrosion protection), high carbon rotor. Zimmerman, Centric, Powerstop, or Raybestos.

I went with Powerstop Z23 carbon ceramics and the same rotors described above, and I couldn’t be happier. My wheels stay clean and attractive, and I have the same or slightly more brake bite than the stock soft organics. 👌

This is on a 12-second tuned GTI that does very healthy speeds on extended cruises and backroads with a car club once a month.

Brakes, tires and suspension are king 👑 in this group.

Last thing:

A lot of the cheaper aftermarket pads have fitment issues and will move around or “rock” within the caliper bracket, producing a clunking noise when going from D to R and Vice versa. This is the single most common brake complaint from folks on this platform.

I’ve had no such problems with the PS Z23s.

Their standard Z17 ceramics have fit well in every customer car I’ve installed them on for the last theee years, so upwards of 24+ installs without noise, and with improvements in brake bite.

Let me know if this helps your search. 🍻 😎
This is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping to get, but I totally didn't expect. Thank you very much! I am trying to stick to RockAuto's inventory since it seems to be the cheapest, and they have the PowerStop Z23s and the Centric PosiQuiet ceramics so I will most likely be going with one of the two. Hearing your feedback regarding the Z23s has me leaning in that direction for sure.

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have the Centric PosiQuiet pads with the smooth centric rotors. I'm pleased with them, almost no dust. I would say they have a little less initial bite than stock.

erim86

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
informative thread.
Anyone have any feedback on the PowerStop Z26 pads?
Was planning to use IS1500 or 2000 pads for my front pad replacement this spring.
After seeing this + feedback for the Z23 pads, question the 3X cost of the isweeps over the powerstops.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
In my humble opinion… please do NOT get the ceramic PosiQuiets, if you like how good the stock brakes are. I tried them and was shocked enough by how much I had to stomp on the pedal that I got new pads a week later. They were good at being quiet and that’s about it. I have Hawk HPS 5.0 now and they’re more like stock. I’m sure there are better pads but at least they aren’t as bad as the ceramics. Never again lol

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I have the Centric PosiQuiet pads with the smooth centric rotors. I'm pleased with them, almost no dust. I would say they have a little less initial bite than stock.
Yeah I did a lot of reading and it seems the main difference is lower initial bite which can be good or bad depending on preference.

Porterfield R4S has a great amount of bite in my opinion. Relatively low dust too.
Haven't heard of this brand or pad, will look into it.

In my humble opinion… please do NOT get the ceramic PosiQuiets, if you like how good the stock brakes are. I tried them and was shocked enough by how much I had to stomp on the pedal that I got new pads a week later. They were good at being quiet and that’s about it. I have Hawk HPS 5.0 now and they’re more like stock. I’m sure there are better pads but at least they aren’t as bad as the ceramics. Never again lol
Interesting. I have heard that the ceramics have a bit less bite than stock but other than that stopping power is pretty much the same. I have definitely heard many great things about the Hawk pads, but I am not sure if they are worth almost double the money. If they were $20 bucks more than I'd totally go with them. Definitely a good data point though, I will keep this in mind.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I had the original TRW TPC1633 on my Golf R and loved them, they have since been replaced by TRW THX1633, which I have now and think they are just as good as the previous pads.
The TXH1633 are like $58 from FPC Euro. Not track or autocross pads by any means but strong stoppers without the dust and perfect fitment. If you use these but want more bite (MU) then dust is the by-product and there are many options available.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Porterfield R4S has been around at least 20 years.

https://porterfield-brakes.com/manufacturer/r4-s/

It’s all the pad needed for spirited street driving. Autocross and even light track use (their website now says not for track but it’s been used as an intro to trackday pad for many years). Once you get a bit quick it only takes a few laps to get them past their heat operating range (which is 900deg if I recall).

Dusts much less than say a Hawk HP+. Bite is linear and modular- great for trail braking.

erim86

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Do you know a part # for a set of front pads for 2019 Golf R/GTI stock caliper?
Web search finds no R4S front pads, even at Porterfield home site.
It does show rear pad set, AP1761, but no fronts.