GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door Locking/Unlocking while driving issue

GForce147

Car(s)
Golf GTD MK7.5
Hello all

I’ve got a 2018 Mk7.5 GTD 5dr and I’m having issues with the front doors auto lock when driving (I assume it affects the backs too). I can be driving along with the autolock on and then it unlocks randomly and then relocks and then repeats randomly. The lock light on the door switches on and off with the clicks in the door. Sometimes when I get in the car after unlocking, it makes a clicking noise as if it’s locked the doors but it hasn’t. When it unlocks I’ve tried pressing the lock button for it to lock for a second and then unlock again by itself.

Anyone else had this issue?

The car is on lease so may have to contact the company to get it looked at as it’s still under warranty I think.

Cheers
Gaz

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Any chance you enabled the key fob to work while the ignition is on? If your car has keyless go/ push-button start, maybe the buttons on the keyfob for lock and unlock are getting accidentally pressed in your bag or pants?

This has happened to me a few times.

GForce147

Car(s)
Golf GTD MK7.5
Any chance you enabled the key fob to work while the ignition is on? If your car has keyless go/ push-button start, maybe the buttons on the keyfob for lock and unlock are getting accidentally pressed in your bag or pants?

I don’t have keyless entry/push button start. I have to put my keys in the ignition and they’re out the way of being touched during driving.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I think you can go in through the MIB (radio) and program auto lock/unlock. That may be a work around if you don't want to bother going to dealer and having them try and find a intermittent issue.

Mud

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Anti-hijack is operational....auto-lock when you drive above 15kph usually.....either that or the door controller has got wet & FUBAR...

GForce147

Car(s)
Golf GTD MK7.5
I think you can go in through the MIB (radio) and program auto lock/unlock. That may be a work around if you don't want to bother going to dealer and having them try and find a intermittent issue.

Mud
I know I can turn the auto lock off in the settings but it’s just started playing up all of a sudden. It’s only done 13k miles so shouldn’t be getting any problems just yet.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It happens regardless of speed. I know it autolocks above 10mph but unlocks if I’m doing any speed.

That's the door controller going then......or the door lock catch needs cleaning & then re-greasing...as the microswitch in the catch can get gunged up...no need to dismantle the door, just clean the slot & use a flat blade screwdriver to close the catch & clean that...spray some WD40 in it

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it's under warranty I would go to the dealer before risking fixing it yourself.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Car isn’t 3 years old yet so may go down that route.
Good idea because if you take the door apart and try to fix it the dealer then may blame you and charge you for something that the warranty would have covered.

zoominms3

Ready to race!
Any updates on this? My 2019 just started doing this.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

On more than one occasion my car has suddenly started blasting the alarm while I'm driving down the road making me look like a dumbass. The key fob alarm button gets pushed while in my pocket :rolleyes:

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
Quick question, on the mk6 you had to take the door skin off to get to the door switch. On the mk7 I don’t see the holes for the bolts to take the skin off on this generation. Does anyone know how to access the door mechanism on the mk7 ?