GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recall on gear shifter trim

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
All your bloody hand pictures finally led to something! 😅 I went into my local VW dealer for a DSG service today, and they're replacing my gear shifter trim under recall.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Is this for every mk7 including mk7.5?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Not just yet, but if it’s a defective part I would like to change it.
Anyway, I understand your point, don’t fix it if it’s not broken.

cb1111

Not just yet, but if it’s a defective part I would like to change it.
Anyway, I understand your point, don’t fix it if it’s not broken.
VW has been swapping that part out as a goodwill repair for years and there are reports of the replacement trim failing the same way.

I have no information about the part being updated. Does anyone @Jumpy @gixxerfool have any info on the "manufacturer communications number"? How is it listed on the work order.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Just checked my vin:

Gear Shift Cover Trim
VW Action Code 34J7

Service campaigns shown may be available for a limited time only. Please contact your authorized VW dealer for additional information.

Start date
01-19-2022

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
VW has been swapping that part out as a goodwill repair for years and there are reports of the replacement trim failing the same way.

I have no information about the part being updated. Does anyone @Jumpy @gixxerfool have any info on the "manufacturer communications number"? How is it listed on the work order.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly
Sorry. Just saw this. Here you go.
F78914C6-E3A1-4B77-A7DE-FB9A6936082A.jpeg

They only changed just the chrome piece. It doesn’t feel the same as the original. The original felt flat on the affected face. This doesn’t feel that way.

cb1111

They didn't give me a choice. They said it's a mandatory recall because it's a safety concern.
This does not appear to be a recall - it is listed as a "service Action". Based on what I've seen, I'd suspect that VW updated the trim.

One issue is that dealers often don't understand the difference between a "recall" (bring your car in now for the repair) and a TSB/Service Action (We'll look at it next time you bring your car in.

In this it seems like a good idea to swap out the parts. Much blood has been shed and it was just a matter of time before this caused an accident.

Does anybody have a comparison of part numbers

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
This does not appear to be a recall - it is listed as a "service Action". Based on what I've seen, I'd suspect that VW updated the trim.

One issue is that dealers often don't understand the difference between a "recall" (bring your car in now for the repair) and a TSB/Service Action (We'll look at it next time you bring your car in.

In this it seems like a good idea to swap out the parts. Much blood has been shed and it was just a matter of time before this caused an accident.

Does anybody have a comparison of part numbers
Interesting, but they aren't making that distinction. Everybody at the dealership called it a recall.