GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If I've never been to a track with my car, but was interested in doing so for the first time, how would I go about that? Some friends and I wouldn't mind making a day trip to Limerock, but have no idea where to begin.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If I've never been to a track with my car, but was interested in doing so for the first time, how would I go about that? Some friends and I wouldn't mind making a day trip to Limerock, but have no idea where to begin.
find an HPDE group to register with, they'll have everything you need in terms of safety/tech inspection. going with a group reduces costs a bunch compared to a private rental. Try hpdejunkie or motorsportreg.

Make sure you have good high temp brake fluid and pads (not stock). Not much else is strictly necessary.

RossMk7

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI SPORT
I’ve got a stupid question lol;

I’m pretty new to this site but I have a stage 2 EQT MK7 and I watch knock retard on every cylinder for my accessport. When I am just cruising everything seems fine, but my brother did a pull in it and the knock went to about -1.5 something and -1.88 which I get on multiple cylinders so it seems normal but I just want to make sure I have nothing to be worried about…

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Depends on the track. Looks like Lime Rock you can rent time or join one of their existing events. They recommend their summer autocross or driving class events.
https://limerock.com/track-days-on-the-road-course

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Limerock has specific track days on the calendar where you'll have a coach with you on the track. I do think you'll need to bring to your own helmet or rent one from them. Might be worth it to buy your own if you plan on doing it more often.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thanks to good advice from this thread I decided to figure out my dogbone mount by taking a photo. What I didn't realize is how much rust has started to set in already on my sub frame. Mind you this is a 2018

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 52

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Is $1,050 a "not so bad price" for a first time track experience? Not asking in a sarcastic way, I didn't think it would be that much. Figured maybe a couple hundred bucks? Not over $1k...
If I remember correctly palmer park was around $500 for a similar lap day for novices

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Is $1,050 a "not so bad price" for a first time track experience? Not asking in a sarcastic way, I didn't think it would be that much. Figured maybe a couple hundred bucks? Not over $1k...
That's a full coaching experience. If you just want to show up and do a few laps their autocross programs are probably what you're looking for. I can't see what their summer program schedule is, but winter might be going on?

https://limerock.com/winter-autocross-days

$350 a day

To rent a track for similar out here at Willow Springs is even more depending on which track. To be in an event you normally just need club membership and to sign up.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I’m not sure about other areas, but I used to only pay like 150-200 for track days at willow Springs raceway, and Buttonwillow.

Edit: only way those crazy prices would make sense in my head is if they give you a car to use also? Lol.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If I remember correctly palmer park was around $500 for a similar lap day for novices

Yeah, we looked at that last year, since it's closer. It was somewhere around there. But we never got around to it.

Now that our 3rd friend has a "trackable" car (the Elantra N), which has an actual lap map of Limerock, he's pushing for that over Palmer lol.

That's a full coaching experience. If you just want to show up and do a few laps their autocross programs are probably what you're looking for. I can't see what their summer program schedule is, but winter might be going on?

https://limerock.com/winter-autocross-days

$350 a day

To rent a track for similar out here at Willow Springs is even more depending on which track. To be in an event you normally just need club membership and to sign up.

More along the line of what I was expecting. Would want something in the spring or fall though, not necessarily winter lol.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Yeah, we looked at that last year, since it's closer. It was somewhere around there. But we never got around to it.

Now that our 3rd friend has a "trackable" car (the Elantra N), which has an actual lap map of Limerock, he's pushing for that over Palmer lol.

More along the line of what I was expecting. Would want something in the spring or fall though, not necessarily winter lol.
Palmer hasn't announced 2022 dates yet.

That said......why not both?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Maybe see what SCCA/Track Night In America has to offer as well.

I'd like to see some track time at some point, I did an autocross at Pocono with NEPA region SCCA and it was a good time. Granted that's the infield, but it was a good opportunity to be in 3rd for once and the speeds were definitely higher than the autocrosses I'm used to.