GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I use a car cover during the winter?

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
Even better, just do it yourself. You can buy all of the tools and materials you need for less than one decent detailing. Of course a large portion of my garage is taken over with car detailing crap, so if you don't have a garage, this is even less appealing.
Ok thanks!

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
My 2018 had been street parked for Chicago winters its whole life. It's fine.

I assume they use salt on the roads near you. If you're daily driving your car in winter the salt eating away at your car should be the bigger concern not the small amount of snow/ice that might accumulate.
Thanks so much. Good point about the salt. I am in Northeast Kansas/Kansas City area. The car has already gone through a hail storm (with a tornado 4 blocks away) and a snow storm on the weekend and it looks OK. That made me wonder if using the cover on a. daily basis made sense. It sounds like from what people are saying it is more trouble than it is worth. Thank you all!

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
I've done it with my last two cars - so +/- 10 years. Got the VW cover that was designed to fit them. Not much of a hassle. Give the car a wipe down when I get home with a California car duster and cover it up. Less than 5 minute job. Better than the alternative of paint getting trashed by the bird crap and squirrels dropping their food from the tree over my driveway. When the car was too dirty to cover I left the cover off until I was able to properly wash it.
OK using the VW cover that fits properly is a good tip, thanks!

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
Let me give you some advice coming from someone who used one meticulously for 2 years at a house with no garage and in the woods....2018 here as well. I had the middle-of-the-road coverking that actually went under every curve of the bumpers for a tight fit. I used it every single night....for 2 years....every season here in VA. It's doable.

If you're trying to keep the side that touches the paint free of debris, you've got to be careful to fold the car cover in on itself, so the side that faces outside.....only touches itself (think of turning a bag inside out), then roll it up to remove it. Then, you store it in your trunk or house/shed when not in use. You have to be careful to let it dry out too AND ensure there's no crap on your car when you roll the car cover back out over your car, otherwise, you get crap stuck in between your paint and cover and wind will make it leave swirl marks.

It's doable, but a severe PITA and it really comes down to how anal about your paint you are.

Either way...you can totally do it.
Very good tips, thank you! I am not a fan of PITAs, LOL.

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
Even better, just do it yourself. You can buy all of the tools and materials you need for less than one decent detailing. Of course a large portion of my garage is taken over with car detailing crap, so if you don't have a garage, this is even less appealing.
Thank you! It does sound like. PITA and I am not a fan of that, LOL.

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
I had a fitted cover once and it was, after a time, a PITA. The car had condensation on it every morning and if it wasn't clean before covering, that dirt would mix with the condensation and stick to the clean side of the cover. It was good for keeping birds and sticks off the paint, but eventually got tired of the car getting dirty anyway.
Oh, not good about the dirt sticking to the cover. Thank you!

LadyDetective

Car(s)
VW GTI 2018 S manual
Let me give you some advice coming from someone who used one meticulously for 2 years at a house with no garage and in the woods....2018 here as well. I had the middle-of-the-road coverking that actually went under every curve of the bumpers for a tight fit. I used it every single night....for 2 years....every season here in VA. It's doable.

If you're trying to keep the side that touches the paint free of debris, you've got to be careful to fold the car cover in on itself, so the side that faces outside.....only touches itself (think of turning a bag inside out), then roll it up to remove it. Then, you store it in your trunk or house/shed when not in use. You have to be careful to let it dry out too AND ensure there's no crap on your car when you roll the car cover back out over your car, otherwise, you get crap stuck in between your paint and cover and wind will make it leave swirl marks.

It's doable, but a severe PITA and it really comes down to how anal about your paint you are.

Either way...you can totally do it.
Great advice, thank you!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thank you, Desslok.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
noproblemo.jpg

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It would be a huge pain if you were to take the cover on and off every day. It would be a process to remove and put on twice a day. You would have to clean the car before putting the cover on to avoid scratching the car. I used a cover sparingly over the summer where my car would sit out side for a couple days...and even cleaning the car before putting the cover on...I would still find scratches on the car.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I’ll use a car cover on the wife’s car when the forecast calls for a foot of snow or more. Then the next day just pull the cover off and boom, the car is clean.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I would say that if you have a driveway, and the room - one of those portable shelter/garage type things would be better than a cover.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Ain't no of got time for that. But seriously, Id rather pay someone.