GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NY Exhaust Fines Loud Illegal Exhaust Systems

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What about the people who can't afford electric cars? Will we eventually see used Teslas on craigslist for $4,000?

Well that's the thing. Even when new car sales are 100% EV's, it'll be decades before all the ICE cars are off the road. Used car sales are well more than double new car sales. I can go out today and visit any mom & pop used car lot, and grab a 20 year old car from the early 2000's for a couple grand. In 2050, I'll probably still be able to do the same thing with a used 2030 ICE vehicle.

Will we eventually see used EV's on Craiglist for $4,000? Absolutely. Will they be Tesla's? Probably not, but Tesla's are far from the only EV's on the block.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Well that's the thing. Even when new car sales are 100% EV's, it'll be decades before all the ICE cars are off the road. Used car sales are well more than double new car sales. I can go out today and visit any mom & pop used car lot, and grab a 20 year old car from the early 2000's for a couple grand. In 2050, I'll probably still be able to do the same thing with a used 2030 ICE vehicle.

Will we eventually see used EV's on Craiglist for $4,000? Absolutely. Will they be Tesla's? Probably not, but Tesla's are far from the only EV's on the block.
Yeah. In America, perhaps we can pull off 100% EV in a couple decades, but other countries? You think they have the infrastructure in place to go fully electric when they can barely power homes? America will be all EV, but it'll be FAR and away before the planet goes fully EV. I couldn't even see it within the next 100 years. Not unless some miracle electric technology comes out that can be fully distributed at a reasonable cost throughout all developing countries.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Yeah. In America, perhaps we can pull off 100% EV in a couple decades, but other countries? You think they have the infrastructure in place to go fully electric when they can barely power homes? America will be all EV, but it'll be FAR and away before the planet goes fully EV. I couldn't even see it within the next 100 years. Not unless some miracle electric technology comes out that can be fully distributed at a reasonable cost throughout all developing countries.
Well that goes now. We already export our old cars to countries around the world and I doubt that will change.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's much like the climate action debate. Until India and China do what they need to do - it won't matter if here in North America we are all driving EV's next year.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's much like the climate action debate. Until India and China do what they need to do - it won't matter if here in North America we are all driving EV's next year.
Biggest issue is nations developing. Not to say India and China are not a big part of it, but we have countries going through their industrial revolution and now starting to do all the shit we did 100+ years ago. Firing up large coal plants and other things. This is why people get all up in arms about the money we want to give so they can leapfrog to better tech, rather than just repeating our mistakes.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I suspect that by the time EV's are in the junkyard for $4k the batteries will have been stripped from them for recycling (or reuse). And there will probably be a market for "junker" EV's with degraded batteries and low range anyway. It will be the people buying used e-Golf's, Fiat 500e's and similar cars now. The issue of range becomes less of a concern as charging infrastructure improves, while at the same time range on EV's keeps going up even as we wait for solid state batteries. A $25k EV with 250-300 miles of range doesn't seem too far off, and you could probably slap in smaller batteries and keep bringing those prices down as charging infrastructure expands.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Was thinking the same thing. Would these countries need help getting that infrastructure? More than likely. Who's going to foot the bill? US? Other nations?

I've been to DR (July) and St. Lucia (2019) and they are in no way going to be able to do this on their own. Most of the islands are supported by tourism, filled with foreign owned resorts. Maybe they'd be able to help, but will probably be localized. Doubt it though.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I'd like to see how charging is going to be handled in places like Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan where there is only street parking.
Cars line the streets bumper to bumper - there are no real "spots" - and alternate side of the street parking is in effect.
If you've ever seen places like that, particularly the ones around large apartment complexes - you'd wonder how enough charges could be put in place to accommodate all of the vehicles.
I can imagine the fights over the chargers.