GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mostly OEM Audio System Hurts my Ears at 1/3 Volume

jakealake18

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE A/T
Any audiophiles here who can offer some advice? I've been having stereo problems with my 2018 GTI SE since I bought it used in February 2021. The main problem is that the sound will hurt my ears at about 1/3 volume, even though the music doesn't sound particularly loud. This holds true for FM radio, SiriusXM, and Spotify via Carplay and Bluetooth.

Here's the setup I have right now:

Stock head unit
Helix Soundbox upgrade (properly flashed)
Front Speakers: Match MS 62C-VW.1 (specifically designed as a drop-in replacement speaker for the Golf Mk7)
Rear Speakers: Stock speakers

I'm kind of at a loss for why this would be happening because I'm running such mild modifications. I ran a pink noise test with a real time analyzer app and got small peaks at approximately 700 Hz and 8,000 Hz, but otherwise the curve was very flat from 40 Hz to 12,500 Hz. I don't have much experience with audio frequency analysis so I'm not really sure how to interpret the results, to be honest.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I probably don't understand what you mean when you say the sound will hurt your ears at just 1/3 volume. Does it sound okay? Maybe you need a hearing checkup. I don't say that to offend you it just sounds unlikely.

jakealake18

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE A/T
Hahaha I’m not offended and that’s a good question. The stereo doesn’t sound very good. The music lacks warmth and the higher frequencies can be too sharp - so sharp that they can actually start hurting my ears just a bit at about 1/3 volume (it depends on the music, though).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Turn it up to where it affects you and see if it anyone else is affected the same way. If you have a high end audio shop get their opinion.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I'm on stock Fender and I can't turn the volume past about 25%, any higher and my right ear start to hurt. EQ is set to +1 Bass only.

Try adjusting the fade to 100% rear and see if it still painful.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It’s your tweeters on the a pillars… that pain you’re referring to is a “harsh sound” and creating listening fatigue. Because the way you are using the oem harness you really don’t have a way to control the signal to the tweeters in the apillars, without manually adding some resistors in line to the tweeters to drop thier output.

To test if it’s the tweeters put some cloth over Them and see how that affects the feeling in your ears.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
In addition to the above posts, i believe your source of audio will have an effect. I run flac on an sd card. All adjusted on my pc to just below 0 db. The stock fender lacks warmth and bass. Tweets are harsh. Flat on the eq. I can go full volume with the sd. If i bt the same tracks, i get the same output at 1/3 volume on the mib. Bt is turned all the way up on the phone. I don't know if spotify and such amplify the signal beyond the mib gain capability. Short version... Maybe your source is causing the mib to clip?

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
That Helix DSP is designed for all factory components and the Helix subwoofer. The distortion is probably coming from the upgraded speakers. That system was designed for factory components. It comes Pre-tuned essentially. Just cause they drop right in doesnt mean they are tuned for that set-up.

But to be honest it just isnt a very good setup and im a HUGE fan of Helix and run their DSP's in all (3) of my cars which have Focal Utopia M set-ups. The sub is ok but again that whole system is designed to work together with stock shit.

I would ditch that setup and replace ur Tweeters cause they are garbage to begin with and add a decent driver down low. U could go with a 3-way cause they actually fit but definately not needed but them tweeters are really small so ur limited to ur choices. I would run it active and get a Helix P6. U can still use the helix Sub I believe.

jakealake18

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE A/T
That Helix DSP is designed for all factory components and the Helix subwoofer. The distortion is probably coming from the upgraded speakers. That system was designed for factory components. It comes Pre-tuned essentially. Just cause they drop right in doesnt mean they are tuned for that set-up.

But to be honest it just isnt a very good setup and im a HUGE fan of Helix and run their DSP's in all (3) of my cars which have Focal Utopia M set-ups. The sub is ok but again that whole system is designed to work together with stock shit.

I would ditch that setup and replace ur Tweeters cause they are garbage to begin with and add a decent driver down low. U could go with a 3-way cause they actually fit but definately not needed but them tweeters are really small so ur limited to ur choices. I would run it active and get a Helix P6. U can still use the helix Sub I believe.
The Helix P Six Mk2 looks like it costs about $1,500+. That's about $1,000 more than I'd be willing to spend on an amp :LOL:
Have any suggestions for a more affordable DSP?

I get what you're saying with the Helix being pre-tuned for the factory speakers, and I'm not saying you're wrong, just I'd be surprised if the Match component system is the problem here. The Match MS 62C-VW.1 was made specifically for the Golf VII and just a few other VW models and came from the factory tuned for use with the stock stereo. (Incidentally, both Helix and Match are part of Audiotec Fischer)

Maybe this is just wishful thinking? The only reason I bought the Match system is because the previous owner left an aftermarket component system in the front of the car but removed the crossovers and it sounded like garbage. I didn't want to spend $225 on replacement stock tweeters, though, so I ordered the Match component system from Germany.

jakealake18

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE A/T
It’s your tweeters on the a pillars… that pain you’re referring to is a “harsh sound” and creating listening fatigue. Because the way you are using the oem harness you really don’t have a way to control the signal to the tweeters in the apillars, without manually adding some resistors in line to the tweeters to drop thier output.

To test if it’s the tweeters put some cloth over Them and see how that affects the feeling in your ears.
I gave this a shot and taped a t-shirt in front of the grille of both tweeters. I'm not sure if the fabric was thick enough becuase I still got listening fatigue almost immediately. Could the woofers be causing a similar problem, though?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I gave this a shot and taped a t-shirt in front of the grille of both tweeters. I'm not sure if the fabric was thick enough becuase I still got listening fatigue almost immediately. Could the woofers be causing a similar problem, though?
I doubt it, unless there is a specific frequency under like 1k hz that you’re ears just don’t like.

Low freq sounds won’t “hurt” till your pushing massive DBs typically and it’s def not not gonna come from a 6.5” door driver.

If you want to fully test the tweeters just completely cover then with something.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
Yea that Helix shit is expensive but if u go to DIYmobilaudio forum u can usually score new or barely used stuff for half price! Join and put a WTB and im sure someone will help out. Its a great site.

I would really look to upgrade them tweeters tho. Thats where most of ur sound is coming from to be honest. But remember the P6 is an all in one amp/dsp so its not too bad but I hear ya it aint cheap.

The Helix P Six Mk2 looks like it costs about $1,500+. That's about $1,000 more than I'd be willing to spend on an amp :LOL:
Have any suggestions for a more affordable DSP?

I get what you're saying with the Helix being pre-tuned for the factory speakers, and I'm not saying you're wrong, just I'd be surprised if the Match component system is the problem here. The Match MS 62C-VW.1 was made specifically for the Golf VII and just a few other VW models and came from the factory tuned for use with the stock stereo. (Incidentally, both Helix and Match are part of Audiotec Fischer)

Maybe this is just wishful thinking? The only reason I bought the Match system is because the previous owner left an aftermarket component system in the front of the car but removed the crossovers and it sounded like garbage. I didn't want to spend $225 on replacement stock tweeters, though, so I ordered the Match component system from Germany.