GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wireless CarPlay

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Is some of the functionality different over wireless vs. wired? This is the first car I've had with CarPlay, but when I start the car, it just connects and works. I do get the odd break in audio when I'm streaming over LTE, not sure if it's my network or the wireless CP.
It's more the convenience of it than anything else. I'd like to have the choice from one journey to the next as it's not good for your iPhone battery to be charging all the time, especially if it's already at 100% when you plug it in...

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
For those of you with the dongle (like Carlinkit) do you just leave it in the cubby? I'm thinking of getting one, but would also want to add a wireless Qi charger. I don't know if there is room for both in there. I'm wondering if I would have to find a way to stick the dongle inside/behind the center console.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
For those of you with the dongle (like Carlinkit) do you just leave it in the cubby? I'm thinking of getting one, but would also want to add a wireless Qi charger. I don't know if there is room for both in there. I'm wondering if I would have to find a way to stick the dongle inside/behind the center console.
I leave mine in the cubby, yeah. There's room in there for both; I imagine you can just lay the dongle on top of your phone as there's a decent amount of height in there. I personally wouldn't mount the dongle anywhere you can't easily get to it as I've run in to a lot of situations where I need to unplug/replug it and/or bring it inside and hook it up to my computer for firmware and troubleshooting, etc.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I also just leave mine in the cubby. I have my eye on the VW wireless charger+cubby replacement but I haven’t broke down and bought it yet (it’s $158).

I know they do sell bare Qi charger coils, I was thinking of putting one under the rubber in the compartment - boom, DIY wireless charger.

Nimche

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI SE DSG
I also just leave mine in the cubby. I have my eye on the VW wireless charger+cubby replacement but I haven’t broke down and bought it yet (it’s $158).

I know they do sell bare Qi charger coils, I was thinking of putting one under the rubber in the compartment - boom, DIY wireless charger.
Could you please provide link to the VW wireless charge and cubby package? I assume this is original VW?
Thanks

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
...I've run in to a lot of situations where I need to unplug/replug it and/or bring it inside and hook it up to my computer for firmware and troubleshooting, etc.
Thanks. This is what I was concerned about. Just unplug/replug I could do from the USB port in the cubby, but having to trouble shoot it wouldn't be so easy.

I know there would be room to put it on top of my phone (if it were on a Qi pad), but then I'd have to pick it up every time I put my phone down. I'm too lazy for that. Depending on how large the charging pad is I could put the Carlinkit on it's side between the phone and the USB port.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Could you please provide link to the VW wireless charge and cubby package? I assume this is original VW?
Thanks
No prob here it is:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33035239541.html. It looks original, has a part number and everything. I’ve bought from that particular store several times and they always have good stuff. Looks like you’d need to transfer your glossy door cover from your old cubby to the new one, that’s the only thing.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
No prob here it is:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33035239541.html. It looks original, has a part number and everything. I’ve bought from that particular store several times and they always have good stuff. Looks like you’d need to transfer your glossy door cover from your old cubby to the new one, that’s the only thing.
Interesting! Might consider this if for no other reason than it'd be nice to have the USB port relocated to the top haha. Oddly I googled the part number on the box and nothing came up.

Nimche

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI SE DSG
Interesting! Might consider this if for no other reason than it'd be nice to have the USB port relocated to the top haha. Oddly I googled the part number on the box and nothing came up.
I am considering to go with the aftermarket option which replaces the rubber liner in the current one. I am waiting for my AA Wireless first to see which one accommodates more room for that connection.
But it is great to know that there is a second option.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Same here, the USB being at the top looks super nice. Gives us some extra room under it too. I don't see myself ever using the Aux jack on my current one, it's kind of a waste of space lol.

Also I didn't even notice the number on the box, good catch. The interesting thing is it seems to be not only a wireless charger but a cell signal booster too (if it's hooked up properly). And I believe it can link with the infotainment to pop up like "Charging" or something. I probably wouldn't go through the effort to make either of those things work because who really cares lol, but it's cool what it can do. I'm pretty sure Atlases and Tiguans have it from factory already.

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Still thinking about this...
AliEx has the charger at $99 now instead of $158. (The link is for search results since there are a few sellers at that price.)
Ok, so clicking on the link for the $99 shows 2. One is $99, the other is $179. The way the website works I'm not sure what the difference is...

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Still thinking about this...
AliEx has the charger at $99 now instead of $158. (The link is for search results since there are a few sellers at that price.)
Ok, so clicking on the link for the $99 shows 2. One is $99, the other is $179. The way the website works I'm not sure what the difference is...
I actually ordered and received this recently. I’m going to put up a how-to but I haven’t had the time to hook it up 💀

Anyways, correct me if I’m wrong, the $158 is for the whole package, while the $100 is for just the cubby, no charger or wires.

I got the whole package and it’s pretty nice. I transferred my glossy door cover and the USB port to the new cubby. A good amount more space in there.

Note: iPhone users, if you have a 12 Pro Max, it just bareeeeely fits onto the charger. If you have a case that’s not a super thin one, it probably won’t fit (phone is too tall). It’s still worth it to me but I figure people might want to know.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
I haven't used it in a VW, but the wireless CarPlay I had in a Kenwood unit worked flawlessly. Never had a single issue with it.

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
One more question. Hopefully some tech savvy individual can answer. In looking at the Carlinkit I see there are two versions; regular and mini. The mini is about half the size. Looking at the specs it seems the only difference is that the regular can connect to your phone via wifi or bluetooth. The mini can only use bluetooth. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using wifi vs bluetooth?