Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I started with DSG, would get another. To much traffic in SoCal to enjoy a manual if it is a daily. I have had many manual cars but I really liked my tuned DSG for the track.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Id go as far as saying less than a second advantage if any for an advanced driver. Gotta know how to really work your feet but once you do the gap goes away a lot.
Porsche found PDK faster. When comparing apple to apple. Not driver to driver. Guess testing can not be believed.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
100% DSG. The economy of motion flicking through the gears is analogous to riding a motorcycle with a quick-shifter, or even just a very good clutch/gearbox. As a car, it shifts better than I do on my best day.

If the VW manual was a VERY good transmission, it would be a tougher choice, but it isn't, so it isn't.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
To everyone saying the DSG is great or that it does a better job than you could do with a manual - maybe I don't know how to drive one properly? When I drove my brother's DSG, I felt like it was either in the wrong gear, was too slow to downshift, and was a little clunky in stop and go traffic. When I was driving it hard in manual mode with the paddles it was great, but left to do its own thing I felt like I was smoother and better with my manual.

Also, the manual with ~$2k worth of mods (clutch, flywheel, shifter and the free CDV and spring mods) feels legitimately pretty great. Stock I thought the clutch and shifter were both vague, but now my car has a very firm pedal with plenty of feedback and a notchy shifter. It's not Honda good but it's damn good for an "economy" car.
You don't put it in sport mode in stop and go traffic...if you do I can see why you would feel that way. The DSG is going to rev match to try to keep it in the correct gear, but if you are always stopping I can see where that would get annoying. Having said that to me having to change gears manually in stop and go traffic with a manual gets tiresome to me.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
In the words of Jason Camissa it’s like sexual preference. I prefer a stick 😏

Also an interesting video: