GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California will start scanning for ECU tune when you get a Smog!!

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I wonder how much of a headache this would be for people that are running CARB legal tunes? I'm pretty sure that APR Stage 1 (and I would assume APR+) is CARB legal (https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-783.pdf). I guess that would be the most hassle free tune for people to run, asides from the annoyance of having to "prove" to the smog check stations that your tune is good to go.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I wonder how much of a headache this would be for people that are running CARB legal tunes? I'm pretty sure that APR Stage 1 (and I would assume APR+) is CARB legal (https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-783.pdf). I guess that would be the most hassle free tune for people to run, asides from the annoyance of having to "prove" to the smog check stations that your tune is good to go.
From what I understand they look for a checksum against a database of approved values to identify oem and carb approved tunes

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
most can/will be flashing back to stock tune for smog anyway (cobb, etc.), but those with flash tunes yeah this sucks.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I thought that you didn't have to go yearly in California? Also I understand that Cobb just got CARB approval.
Ahh good call you’re probably right. I’m in NC so we do yearly inspections, and emissions is included as long as your car meets the requirements

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Does this screw anyone's plans for their car? After hearing this I scrapped my hybrid turbo, MPI build. I intend on getting as many bolt-ons that'll allow me to still go back to stock tune file and pass. This means no more MPI, hybrid turbo, HPFP, etc. Kinda sad I can't chase the 400hp+ club but I really don't want to deal with the hassle of getting my car smogged unless this can be easily bypassed. I might not even keep the car anymore and go Golf R or S3 when possible to just make it easier.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does this screw anyone's plans for their car? After hearing this I scrapped my hybrid turbo, MPI build. I intend on getting as many bolt-ons that'll allow me to still go back to stock tune file and pass. This means no more MPI, hybrid turbo, HPFP, etc. Kinda sad I can't chase the 400hp+ club but I really don't want to deal with the hassle of getting my car smogged unless this can be easily bypassed. I might not even keep the car anymore and go Golf R or S3 when possible to just make it easier.
Don't you have 7 years in California before you need to get tested? That's a long time to enjoy the car the way you want to. And how long do you keep a car?

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Don't you have 7 years in California before you need to get tested? That's a long time to enjoy the car the way you want to. And how long do you keep a car?
You do and I guess I could just upgrade and when the time comes sell the car but I bought a relatively newer car so I can keep it for a while. I like to drive my cars till they die.