GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb AP td1 info?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
That's not true, sounds like your friends want to make a sale. VWoA would be able to see the exact date the stock map left the vehicle, and the date a stock-like map was re-added.

That's not what is being checked for context and reference. Nobody at VWoA (or VW AG) is doing anything. Instead, this is all based on an automated process involving a system protection method that uses cryptography, symmetric keys, digital signatures and hashing.

I'm only correcting you because I think 1% of people actually understand how this works and everyone just assumes/spreads theories. I know, with 100% certainty, this is how it works.

definitely bullshit. the moment that obd cable is in and that counter is a different number than expected, that's sent to the servers. instant td01. dealership has zero say so in the matter

It has nothing to do with a counter.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That's not what is being checked for context and reference. Nobody at VWoA (or VW AG) is doing anything. Instead, this is all based on an automated process involving a system protection method that uses cryptography, symmetric keys, digital signatures and hashing.

I'm only correcting you because I think 1% of people actually understand how this works and everyone just assumes/spreads theories. I know, with 100% certainty, this is how it works.

i stand corrected. for now..... ;)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Called the dealer, foreman said he doesn't know how it works but once its plugged in and connected and a scan of any kind begins, it gets flagged. They have no way of reversing it (obviously). He didn't mention anything about cryptography, keys, signature etc. Not saying you're wrong.

Ultimately those things can be defeated and reversed so you wont trip td01. With out a doubt. The problem is, the existence of these things were created so if someone did manage to brazenly attempt to reverse and hide their reflash, VW can now absolutely and immediately sue the hell out of you. These systems function more as a visual deterrent vs an actual one. Case in point, Honda ecu's and hondata. Now you literally have to "jail break" the damn thing. Guess what happens when that ecu is plugged into a honda dealerships software? Even if you flash back to stock, you cant return to the same state before you reflashed.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Happy to listen if you want to explain further. My degree is Cybersecurity so I'd love to know what's going on, which hashing algorithms are being used... etc. Kind of makes sense if they're seeing keys/signatures on your car that no longer match what they have.

Also makes me realize we are most likely only a few years from a future where mapping data is completely encrypted, meaning no more / or a systematic change to the way AccessPorts function.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Called the dealer, foreman said he doesn't know how it works but once its plugged in and connected and a scan of any kind begins, it gets flagged. They have no way of reversing it (obviously). He didn't mention anything about cryptography, keys, signature etc. Not saying you're wrong.

Ultimately those things can be defeated and reversed so you wont trip td01. With out a doubt. The problem is, the existence of these things were created so if someone did manage to brazenly attempt to reverse and hide their reflash, VW can now absolutely and immediately sue the hell out of you. These systems function more as a visual deterrent vs an actual one. Case in point, Honda ecu's and hondata. Now you literally have to "jail break" the damn thing. Guess what happens when that ecu is plugged into a honda dealerships software? Even if you flash back to stock, you cant return to the same state before you reflashed.

I've never met a single person who works at a dealership that actually knows how this works, and this doesn't surprise me. They're not supposed to know or they'd be working on these systems and not at a dealership.

Volkswagen's system is built on a base method/system first created by BMW that was originally patented in 2006 (filed)/2007 (published). The original (and updated) security concepts being used here are not unique to the car industry, they've existed way before BMW started leveraging them in the base design/architecture.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've never met a single person who works at a dealership that actual knows how this works, and this doesn't surprise me. They're not supposed to know or they'd be working on these systems and not at a dealership.

Volkswagen's system is built on a base method/system first created by BMW that was originally patented in 2006 (filed)/2007 (published). The original (and updated) security concepts being used here are not unique to the car industry, they've existed way before BMW started leveraging them in the base design/architecture.
First time I saw a system like this might have been on the LS2 gto. But yeah, these systems arent easy enough for someone with no experience like to me to crack them. Folks with experience definitely can, these systems aren't crazy complex. And they really aren't meant to be complex, it's more so taking the form of a bright colored frog. Don't touch it or the frog will sue (poison) the fucking fuck out of you so damn quick. AKA visual deterrent lol.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Happy to listen if you want to explain further. My degree is Cybersecurity so I'd love to know what's going on, which hashing algorithms are being used... etc. Kind of makes sense if they're seeing keys/signatures on your car that no longer match what they have.

Also makes me realize we are most likely only a few years from a future where mapping data is completely encrypted, meaning no more / or a systematic change to the way AccessPorts function.

I don't need to explain it :)

Here is the original BMW patent I am referring to - https://patents.justia.com/patent/20070118752
Here is the most recent Volkswagen AG patent I am referring to (citing the original BMW patent at the bottom, as they used it in their development) - https://patents.justia.com/patent/10812257

Edit: Actually, here's a post I made awhile back about this - the patents will obviously be much more detailed.

Last edited:

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Thanks launchd...It is next to impossible to find someone that actually knows what their talking about when it comes to this topic. Cheers!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

For sake of simplicity everyone in the forum has always referred to it as a flash counter.
Whatever the technical terms are the fact is VW can tell the number of times the ECU has been flashed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

It will be all electric by then and won't matter.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For sake of simplicity everyone in the forum has always referred to it as a flash counter.
Whatever the technical terms are the fact is VW can tell the number of times the ECU has been flashed.
It’s more like the ecu has a type of state of being that consistently evolved it’s secret cool hand shake

and if your ecu’s handshake doesn’t match what the obd scan is expecting. Td01 happens.