GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Park Assist, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control - Worth Getting?

Zaptrax

I'm thinking of upgrading to a '21 GTI Mk7.5 Autobahn which comes with Park Assist, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control. How well do these tech features work? Have there been any major issues? Anything I need to know before making the decision?
Thanks.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have them on my '16. I don't use any of them, sometimes I do the autopark thing, works well, wife is impressed, but that's the only upside really.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Adaptive cruise is nice if you do much highway driving. My car is a 6MT and I like it even though I have to shift if the speed changes too much, but with a DSG it would be great I think. Is there a big price difference between getting a car with/without those features? Might add a little bit to re-sell value if you ever plan to sell the car, although like all tech things do get outdated. You won't be able to turn ACC off (meaning CC will always be adaptive) but I think you can turn off Lane Assist in the car settings if you don't want to use it.

I always get Parking Aid/Assist mixed up but the one that does self-park is only active if you press the button. The one that gives you warnings if things are close can be coded to not auto-activate, at which point it too will only be active if you press the button.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
They work pretty much flawlessly for me, I’d say go for it. I coded the Lane Assist to make it stay more centered in the lane, and I have to admit I use it sometimes to take my hands off the wheel 😂 💀. Terrible, I know. But it’s fun when there aren’t any cars around.

Park Assist works great, too. If you’re in a busy city situation and you don’t want to take a chance messing up your parallel parking and having impatient assholes start honking then it’s awesome.

Adaptive Cruise Control also works just like it’s supposed to. Unfortunately I have a manual which kind of defeats the “automatic” purpose of it but it still works as it should.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I typically back into spots myself but the parallel parking assist is great. I don't even "risk it" with parallel parking myself anymore. It's the one feature my car has over the wife's Tesla... so I always look to street park if we take my car, haha.
Are you sure that's even remotely feasible? Seems like a ton of wiring and whatnot would need to happen... Honestly curious, I have no idea the difficulty.
These things are retrofitted on my car. So it's feasible, involved and dare I say... worth it, haha. Shameless build thread plug if you want to see more.

A preview pic of the fun you could have...
Wires.JPG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm thinking of upgrading to a '21 GTI Mk7.5 Autobahn which comes with Park Assist, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control. How well do these tech features work? Have there been any major issues? Anything I need to know before making the decision?
Thanks.
its annoying as fuck, all that damn beeping when pulling into my garage. but it did save my ass twice. the first time, it was some ass hat trying to pull an insurance scam. dude pulled up in front of me and hit his brakes. my car in turn did the same and there was at least 8-10 ft between us.

the park assist, i dont mess with it. did once, saw the steering wheel moving by itself and i aborted, it was weird and scary lol.

the tech is annoying and helpful but i wouldnt say u would NEED them. i think its up to you, if you see value in it go for it.