GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Here is a weird question; These GTIs will run on regular just fine, so I wonder how much horsepower you give up between...

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
running on regular 87 octane to premium 92 or 93? 10% ? 20% ?? I'm surprised how fast the car is on just stinkin regular! It's almost too fast for normal street driving.

Why would anyone run on regular you ask? :(

Buying $$ premium for mundane tasks such as driving in traffic to work everyday or going to the store to buy some broccoli doesn't really require premium fuel. Premium is better used for blasting around on the weekends, drag racing, autocross and that sort of thing.

BTW, I went stage 2 today with the downpipe and an injen intake and holy crap is it fast ..... on regular. I'm thinking it might be a good way to save my clutch!
Either it's a troll or please post your vin number.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I don't know about gang bang, but the knock on that engine is certainly going bang bang.

Shit like this is one of the great mysteries of the universe. You buy a performance turbo car. You spend thousands in aftermarket parts and tuning it. Then you want to save $0.50 in gas by "not wasting premium to go to the grocery store"?

What the fuck?

If you're concerned about an extra $5 or $10 a week in gas (if that), this game ain't for you. Go buy a Camry.
50 cents?! That shit adds up over time. Think of all the mods you could get with that money saved. I can go big turbo on 87 and smoke all you guys

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Im laughing my ass off imagining the feeling of flooring a Stage 2 car on 87 fuel. Huge torque rush, pull, pull, and more pull.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

OP is Samir

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
Dude what??? You’re stage 2 and running 87? There is no such thing as a Stage 2 tune that is tuned for 87, unless you got it custom tuned. And even then a tuner would tell you you shouldn’t be pushing stage 2 level boost on 87.

how much did going stage 2 cost? $1.5-2K for DP, install, and tune? And you can’t justify a few more bucks for 93?
Yeah, I just had a tank of regular in it and noticed it ran like a scalded cat as is. I checked into it and was told don't worry about it, the computer dials back the timing and you'll suffer performance but no knock probs. I think carbon build up is more of an issue using lower grade fuel.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I just had a tank of regular in it and noticed it ran like a scalded cat as is. I checked into it and was told don't worry about it, the computer dials back the timing and you'll suffer performance but no knock probs. I think carbon build up is more of an issue using lower grade fuel.
You don't know if it was knocking because you don't have a way to check for knock. Hey nobody wants to argue with you. We just don't want to see you ruin your engine.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
This guys funny.

But also... if the tune is mild the knock retard that we all hate to see (cause we give a shit about the performance of a car that we spend money on to get that performance,lol)

Is doing just that... “adjusting” the timing for the shitty fuel. While that adjustment is really part of the failsafe of the ECU it don’t mean that the right way it’s should be running at all 😄 all for 2-3 dollers max per gas tank 🤣🤣

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
I don't know about gang bang, but the knock on that engine is certainly going bang bang.

Shit like this is one of the great mysteries of the universe. You buy a performance turbo car. You spend thousands in aftermarket parts and tuning it. Then you want to save $0.50 in gas by "not wasting premium to go to the grocery store"?

What the fuck?

If you're concerned about an extra $5 or $10 a week in gas (if that), this game ain't for you. Go buy a Camry.

You don't know if it was knocking because you don't have a way to check for knock. Hey nobody wants to argue with you. We just don't want to see you ruin your engine.
Usually you can hear engine knock ... spark management makes it a thing of the past at the price of reduced performance. Don't worry, I usually run premium. I was just curious how much hp difference each point of octane makes. Going from low to high. I guess I can start at 92 and go up to 100 and calculate, but it might not be exactly linear.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Usually you can hear engine knock ... it's a thing of the past at the price of reduced performance. Don't worry, I usually run premium. I was just curious how much octane makes a difference. I guess I can go the other way and start at 92 and go up to 100 and see, but it might not be exactly linear.

Usually, you can't. That kind of logic, "If the engine is knocking that bad I'll be able to hear it" has grenaded quite a few engines around here.