GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noob, wheel info.

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
Hey All,

I’m a noob to the mod scene, loved it but never actually got into it.

Now I have a 16 GTI autobahn that I want to do stuff to.

It’s coming time for me to need new tires and I figured it’s the right time to start my wheel and possibly suspension setup.

I want to flush my wheels with the stock fenders, front and back with no rubbing.

Wheels: I think the wheels I want to go with are Rotiform KBS (18x8.5) Not really 100% sure of the offset, they come in 35 or 45. I want thinking 35 (middle ground? No rubbing?) Currently I have stock VW Austin’s and they are tucked just a tad. (18x7.5x49mm I think)

tires: looking for an all season. I was thinking. (In no particular order)
1. Yokohama Advan sport a/s
2. Hankook Ventis S1 Noble 2 (oem)
3. Michelin Pilot sport all season 4
4. Continental extreme contact dws 06

suspension: I want to keep the car sort of feeling stock, but want to lower it a bit too. So the wheel gap isn’t as noticeable. I was thinking sport springs, but I really don’t want to end up the way the car rides.

I love some input on my thoughts about, since you gang are more experienced in this sort of thing that me.
Thanks
Ant.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
18x8.5 et45 will be flush.
Michelin PSAS4
Probably don’t want lowering springs on your factory struts/shocks if they’ve got more than 50k on them already. Look into a better matched setup or coils.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I was going to say pretty much the same thing ^^^^
You can get a spring with a mild drop like the Driver Gear (DG) springs and probably be ok for a while though...
But certainly something to keep in mind. And while you are there, there are bushings and mounts you can and probably should replace too.

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
Ok, that helps a ton. Thanks!

how did you guys come to that conclusion, just experience or is there like an online calculator or something I should be using?

Do I need a wider tire since I am going with a wider wheel, 7.5 to 8.5?

my current set up is 225/40/18.. what’s the next size up? 230/40/18?

sorry so many questions, when buying tires in the past I’ve just always gone with what the tire guy told me. (Not good I know) haha

so it’s definitely not going to be springs then, my car has 65k at this point.

suggestions on suspension?

thanks again.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Ok, that helps a ton. Thanks!

how did you guys come to that conclusion, just experience or is there like an online calculator or something I should be using?

Do I need a wider tire since I am going with a wider wheel, 7.5 to 8.5?

my current set up is 225/40/18.. what’s the next size up? 230/40/18?

sorry so many questions, when buying tires in the past I’ve just always gone with what the tire guy told me. (Not good I know) haha

so it’s definitely not going to be springs then, my car has 65k at this point.

suggestions on suspension?

thanks again.
More experience than math but yes there is some math involved. @daconchslop is giving you good advice.
As for your suspension, you can get a cup kit - a spring shock pairing - or just get a set of coilovers. The only difference is that the coilovers are height (and in some cases dampening) adjustable where as the cup kit is not height adjustable and in some cases dampening adjustable. Just depends on what you are looking for.
Depending on how low you go will also sort of dictate what size tire you are going to want to go with. That said, I would do suspension first, and then decide on wheels and tires.
Technically you will have no problem using a 225/40 on a 8.5" wide wheel, but it will have a slight stretch. Which you may want if you want the car pretty low, as it will reduce rubbing.
But if you are looking for just a mild drop a 235/40 should be just about right.

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
@vbrad26 yeah I’m not looking for “low-rider” I’m more looking for “sporty”.. so I’m kind of just trying to make some quality of life mods at this point overall. Intake, exhaust, downpipe, tune, suspension, wheels and I think I’d be done. (That’s probably what they all say)

so instead of the wheels, maybe I should be researching suspension first.

I still need tires though, so maybe I’ll just put something on these wheels for the time being and put the wheel money into the suspension.

thoughts on using wheels spacers once I get the suspension on to flush the wheels instead? I really like the look of flushed up wheels.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
If you are leaning more toward the flush look then you may want to think about going with the et35 offset. But you may have to deal with occasional rubbing from time to time, again depending on tire size.
I personally always buy suspension before wheels but that's just me. If you don't really care about height adjustment, then I would not bother looking at coilovers. Instead just look for a spring/shock combo.
If you need tires you can probably go ahead and get some 235/40's now and then re-use those if you go with some new wheels. I suggest the 235/40 because you want a more flush look with a subtle drop.
You can do a 225/40 but there may not be any reason for you to do so since the wheel/drop combo you are going for is not too aggressive.
Again just look at some pictures of a 225 vs 235 on a 8.5 inch wheel to get an idea of "stretch".
You can absolutely get some spacers for your stock wheels. That will give you an idea what to expect if you decide to buy some aftermarket wheels.

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
This is amazing info. Thank you very much.

ginsy

Ready to race!
I wanted a similar after effect as you. I went with Bilstein B8 shocks/struts, paired with Eibach pro-kit springs. I have 18x8.5 with 45 offset and 235/40 continental tires. I dont rub on anything, but I did put an evolution motorsport skid plate on just in case. Feels sporty, not stanced, and is comfortable to drive.

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
I wanted a similar after effect as you. I went with Bilstein B8 shocks/struts, paired with Eibach pro-kit springs. I have 18x8.5 with 45 offset and 235/40 continental tires. I dont rub on anything, but I did put an evolution motorsport skid plate on just in case. Feels sporty, not stanced, and is comfortable to drive.
Can I see a pic of your car?
I think your talking exactly what I’m thinking.
These ones?
https://www.urotuning.com/products/...mqb-35-229919_24_229937?variant=8385918500919